Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Salt mix?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Salt mix?
    Posted: June 23 2014 at 1:22am
For my 2 tanks now I use Oceanic natural mix and am having a hard time controlling my trace elements I was wondering is there better mixes and if so can I just switch from the one to a new one? I want to know so that I am not battling this problem in my 150 gal.
Blub Blub
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 1:59am
I use Sea Chem Reef...been using it about 6 years. Only downside is that noone sells it locally.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 5:34am
Instant ocean been using it for 15 years and it is sold everywhere.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 6:33am
I have used several different salt mixes without any problems.
What trace elements are you talking about and what is telling you there is a problem?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 9:33am
I used Oceanic for years and never had a problem.

-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 12:23pm
Temp 80°F

Specific Gravity 1.025

PH 8.2

Ammonia 0ppm

Nitrites 0pmm

Nitrates 0ppm

Water Hardness dKH 9.8

Calcium 600

Magnesium 1560

My calcium is all over the place these are from my last test but it will go from 600 at its lowest to 1000 and my magnesium is always really high no matter how many times i change the water, i know i caused the issue when i set up the tank in December i over dosed it but i haven't dosed since January and its still doing it
Blub Blub
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 1:40pm
I always used the oceanic reef mix until just recently. After the zoanthids.com meeting, he said they switched to red sea salt from the oceanic reef and saw a noticeable difference in their coral growth. While I never really had an issues with the reef mix, I just made a switch. Still to early to tell a difference yet.
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 1:41pm
What test kit are you using for calcium? oceanic has really high calcium to begin with.
-TYR- View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -TYR- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2014 at 8:58pm
I am using the red sea test kit
Blub Blub
LaRue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaRue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2014 at 5:33am
Ok that's a good accurate test kit like I said oceanic is just always high in calcium. Imo the designer salts like h2o or salinity (and all the others they are wanting $100 a bucket) are not worth the extra money chemicals are cheap. I use instant ocean and rely on frequent water changes to replace my trace elements been doing it this way for 15 years and it's worked great for me just my opinion though.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 7:56am
Originally posted by -TYR- -TYR- wrote:

For my 2 tanks now I use Oceanic natural mix and am having a hard time controlling my trace elements I was wondering is there better mixes and if so can I just switch from the one to a new one? I want to know so that I am not battling this problem in my 150 gal.
It might help you to know that the parameters you listed above are basic elements not trace elements. Trace elements are things like Potassium, Selenium and 20+ other minor essential elements and compounds.

Test kit results will be slightly different, depending on how the kit is used by the individual hobbyist. The indication of color change is a fairly inaccurate reading, influenced by variations in test administration and the hobbyists perception of color. For example, how deep must the final color be, before we stop adding drops? Do we stop when the final color just begins to appear or when it reaches a very rich red or deeper blue? Color blindness in any degree can throw it all off.

To this end we speak of parameters in terms of ranges rather than ideal points.
Alk 8-14 dKH (depending on the tank, can be slightly lower or higher with no bad effects)
Ca 350-500 ppm (can be higher with no bad effects)
Mg 1200-1500 (also can be higher with no bad effects)

Hope this helps.
Aloha Hug
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2014 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

[QUOTE=-TYR-]

To this end we speak of parameters in terms of ranges rather than ideal points.
Alk 8-14 dKH (depending on the tank, can be slightly lower or higher with no bad effects)
Ca 350-500 ppm (can be higher with no bad effects)
Mg 1200-1500 (also can be higher with no bad effects)

Hope this helps.
Aloha Hug

"Depending on the tank" is the key here for alkalinity.  I tried to raise my alk to 10 dKH thinking it would help growth and I ended up with burnt tips on all of my acros. 8-9 is the range I use here.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic