Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

led build for sps dominant tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ryanscott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryanscott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: led build for sps dominant tank
    Posted: August 23 2012 at 9:58pm
i am getting ready for a 120g rimless sps dominant build. i have made led fixtures that made softies and lps grow like crazy but never tried them with sps. i was wondering what you guys have had success with growing sps.  i need to know how many leds , what kind of leds you guys would suggest , and what sizes of heatsinks. im going to use rapid led drilled and tapped heatsinks. let me guys know what you would think. thanks
ReefKeeper78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefKeeper78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2012 at 3:03pm
What are the dimensions of the tank that really has more to do with how many, I am making a go right now of the same thing to do more sps.  Most recommend Cree Led's, need your specs to tell you more.  
Coltono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coltono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2012 at 2:23pm

After reading over various reefer forums for about a year now getting all the info I can for my LED build I can say that there are a few things to consider for a SPS Lighting setup. One of the most interesting things I came across was that In the wild SPS corals produce some of their vibrant fluorescing pigments to ward off UV rays to protect them from burning. So to that point I have read of people having great success with UV LEDs for their SPS to generate fantastic coloring. But only using a very minimal amount I could not imagine more than 4 or 5 3 watt UV LEDs for your build. Now what is questionable about this is that SPS corals generate those colors to protect them selves mostly against UV-B where as the only UV that LED's are capable of emitting is UV-A so their is that to consider as well.

On top of that I have found that Cree LEDs In terms of par rateing and lumens only out compete Luxeon, bridgelux, & epistar led's by a margin and only in terms of their royal blue LED. Whereas the CW WW and NW LEds from luxeon and bridgelux seem to perform better and have a more true to color when compared to their Kelvin rateing. On top of that once you brake away from the cree hype their are actually a lot more color options with other brands such as Cyan, 420 Apparently the Philiips luxeon LEDs where the first 3W LEDs created and Philips holds the patent for the 3w Led technology. Now to get back on topic. It is true that most people stick to the 50/50 ratio of CW/RB led but I have seen far better color rendition under setups running RB,cyan,red,green,420 violet, UY, WW and NW. With an emphasis on most forums that you get better color rendition by just adding in a few cyan/violet leds.

Most people will go with 3 120 watt panels for a 120 gallon of the regular size of 72l18d18t on the column 120 gallon that measures 48l24w24t you could just use 2 160 panels. I would recommend using 45 degree optics for better mixing and spread.

If you haven’t already found where to get your supplys the best websites I have found are ledgroupbuy.com, Stevesleds.com, and Happycoral.com

LEDgroupbuy has the biggest selection and their makers LED heatsinks are awesome and probably what I will use on my build just because you can easily change out your led configuration without having to cut wires and resodder.

Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.
John F. Kennedy
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic