Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking to make top-off quick!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
the seanze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the seanze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking to make top-off quick!
    Posted: May 24 2012 at 1:04pm
The cheaper the better... Any ideas?
Say what you think. Because those who mind don't matter. And those who matter won't mind. -Dr. Seuss
Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 2:46pm
Here is how I did mine for less than $100.

I bought a switch and pump from this website: http://www.autotopoff.com/products/

Grab a bucket or something to use as your reservoir.

ATO is ready!
21G Reefer Nano
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 5:18pm
For 25-30 bucks, send me a PM and I'll let you know what you need.  Won't be quick, you need to order the switches.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 5:26pm
Hey sean u can pick the float switches up at grainger for $12 each and the pump for $20 add a few extras and for under $55-60 you running with double floats all bought locally . Give me a call bud
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 6:54pm
Make sure you do double float switches. As with anything in this hobby if it can fail it prob will... I once pumped 25 g into a 10 g sump with a float switch failing. It sucked.
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 9:18pm
I've been working on a setup similar to this, using a pump about the same size as the larger one on autotopoff.com. I'm having one problem though. My RODI water is on the other side of the room, and to plumb tubing from there to the sump is about 25' of tubing. Once I have the pump come on, its creating a vacuum from my storage container to the sump and even with the pump off it keeps on draining new water into the sump. I've got a 55 gallon storage tank so unfortunately that won't work too well to add 55 gallons of RODI water when I need like 1/2 a gallon :)

Thoughts?
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
Coltono View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coltono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2012 at 9:24pm
The shop vac a tool no reef keepers utility belt should go with out.
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.
John F. Kennedy
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 1:58pm
Are you sure it's not a siphon that gets created?  You might need to have the supply line at the sump higher than the one at the supply container. Once a siphon starts it'll drain the supply container.  Having the tube end above the top of the water in the sump will prevent a siphon back into the container.

Good luck.
troyholl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote troyholl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 25 2012 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Fatman Fatman wrote:

Are you sure it's not a siphon that gets created?  You might need to have the supply line at the sump higher than the one at the supply container. Once a siphon starts it'll drain the supply container.  Having the tube end above the top of the water in the sump will prevent a siphon back into the container.

Good luck.

Yep, thats the problem. My plan is to put pvc pipe coming from the pump in the container, then at the top put a tee that has a line reverse back into the storage container. That should allow air to enter and break the siphon. Unfortunately the sump sits way to lower than the top of the storage container and I can't, easily, put in a pipe that the line can drain into.

Sorry for hijacking this thread...
Troy Hollingsworth
Riverton, Utah

270 Gallon "Custom" Tank
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic