Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peninsula tank options

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peninsula tank options
    Posted: February 12 2012 at 8:49pm
Looking to setup a peninsula tank, and I've found out that custom tanks are ridiculously expensive. So I'm trying to figure out an alternative.

I can get a normal tank and drill holes in the side for my overflow and closed loop, etc. This way is cheap because it is the lowest priced tank. I worry about swiss cheesing only one end panel, and losing the factory warranty on the tank.

I can get a tank with corner overflows, remove one of the overflows and use those holes as a closed loop, and the remaining overflow for my drain to the sump. Not sure that would give me enough flow though, as the pre-drilled holes are pretty small. And the tank is a bit more expensive. I would be able to retain the factory warranty this way though.

Which way would you go?
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2012 at 9:04pm
Might want to talk to Tyler, he may be able to build one? not too sure about that though.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2012 at 11:30pm
Rather than a Closed Loop, a design which has lost favor since you were last here, I would consider the new powerful stream pumps as an alternative.

I would also drill only one hole up high as the drain in a small overflow box and let the powerheads move the majority of water to better enable the intank biofiltration.

That's my 2 cents. Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 12 2012 at 11:35pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2012 at 4:16am

Even though they are more expensive, I would go with a custom tank. It's going to give you exactly what you want and a warrantee. I disagree with Mark's assesment of circulation, I would definitely go with a closed loop with eductors on a system like this. The whole point of a peninsula tank is to not have a bunch of pumps/cords cluttering the display since you will be walking around three sides of it. Is the tank going to have a canopy? If it is then you could possibly route your returns along the tank and run them out on the far end of the tank on sea swirls with eductors. If you are wanting to shy away from a closed loop you could run your returns to the far end of the tank, and run a couple large prop pumps on the end w/ the overflow. However if you are planning on a eurobraced tank w/ suspended light then a closed loop will give you all the flow you need and keep the clean aesthetics you'll want in a showcase tank.

Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2012 at 9:59am
Steve summed it up very well.Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic