Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Theorhetical DIY tank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
clubbby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubbby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Theorhetical DIY tank
    Posted: January 26 2012 at 1:15pm
I'm just amusing myself with this idea and saw a few posts on it, and had some questions. Don't feel particularly oblidged to answer, as I wouldn't be doing any of this for years, should I decide to do it. I figure we might be in the mood for an upgrade right about then.

I was thinking of what an enormous sense of satisfaction I would be to build your own tank. I understand from what I've read you're not going to save a dime over buying a premade tank but as I thought about it I realized I didn't care.

Some of the items I read on this forum eluded to using glass for DIY tanks. Is there a reason that glass would be better than acrylic? Is it less prone to scratching? I also think I read somewhere that acrylic gets brittle over time, which sounds ominous. The type of glass I remember seeing is called Starfire glass. What is special about this as opposed to other glass?

I also read about needing a particular type of silicone. I don't recall reading anywhere of a specific brand or name, any info on that?

Last question I have is about stands. It'd be silly to futilely spend your own time reinventing the wheel on a tank and get a predone stand, so if one were to build a stand capable of holding a large tank... let's say 250g+, what would you use? I'm just thinking a sturdy frame of pressure treated wood would do the job but would be interested to hear other opinions.
55G Fledgeling Reef
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2012 at 2:25pm
I built my stand. I had Tyler on here build my tank (starfire) and in the past I made lots of glass and acrylic tanks. It's totally worth it if you want an odd shaped tank or something unique.

Chad on here has been building quite a few tanks. And Tyler is obviously a pro at tanks. But if you want to build a 30 or so gallon tank just ask for help, lots of people ready to lend a hand.

Adam
ps- in general.... glass is always preferred as it doesn't scratch nearly as easy as acrylic
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
clubbby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clubbby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2012 at 3:13pm
I'm glad to know there are people around with experience. I want to make it myself as opposed to delegating it sheerly for the sense of self satisfaction, but you make a great point in taking on a smaller project first, and I think I know just the thing for it!

I have a red eared slider turtle in a half full (12-15g or so) 29g tank but he's getting a bit big for it. I could use a deeper, shallower (more deep, less high) tank of about the same size for him so that seems like a great starter project.

Oh and another question. People were saying to put a 1/16" to 1/32" spacing when siliconing the sides of a tank. I'm sure it's something obvious that I'm missing, but what's the spacing needed for? Just more surface area for the silicon to grab on to?

Edited by clubbby - January 26 2012 at 3:14pm
55G Fledgeling Reef
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2012 at 3:27pm
For a tank like that.... I'd just go for it. Seriously I've bought lots of glass and silicone and just had at it. I like the clear actual aquarium silicone from the pet stores. If I go black, I'd buy the silicone from Tyler (tcfab).

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic