Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mixing your own Saltwater

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mikenmandymoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikenmandymoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mixing your own Saltwater
    Posted: January 17 2012 at 12:45pm
So, now that we are adding a few more tanks - it has come time to financially start mixing our own SW.  where 75 cents a gallon is a great deal.... doing water changes in two (soon to be three) tanks - it becomes financially silly.  Plus... I can use what money I DO save and get more stuff for the tanks! Big smile  When we purchased our 125 gallong (which is sitting empty at the moment) we got what I can only imagine is an RO unit.  (will take pics and post later today) and so that leads me to another thread.
My question for this thread:
  How exactly do we go about mixing our own SW?  What parameters do we need to watch for when mixing it?  I know many say let it sit for 24 hrs prior to using it - which is fine, but just wondering how about to go making the RO water into Salty water! :)

Thanks
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 1:18pm
It's super easy and somewhat fun. Come on over and I'll show you.

Or, take a five gallon buckley for example and fill it with water. Add two and a half cups of salt. Use a paint stirrer in your drill for three minutes. Heat to 78 or whatever your tank is at. Give it one more good stir to make sure it is oxygenated. Use it.

Things of importance: pH, salinity, temperature

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikenmandymoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 1:27pm
Power tools and salt water.... what could be better!!! Big smile
Sounds good Adam - once we get to that point I'll give you a shout and bring Mike over to see your tanks (that he is drooling over by my descriptions already! Smile  )
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 5:33pm
Adam goes to too much trouble.Smile
I take the RO water at whatever temperature it is, close to room temperature is best, add the salt, stir it with a stick to dissolve the salt, and pour it into the tank. Check out what else I said about water changes just a few minutes ago in this thread:
 http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=53756
Years ago, the salt mixes weren't as good and we had to let them sit for a day, preferably aerating with an air pump and airstone. It's not like that anymore. Oh, and don't let Adam try to convince you to buy an expensive Refractometer. Wink
An ordinary Hydrometer works just fine. Get it calibrated by checking it with a solution of known salinity(another hobbyists tank), rinse it with freshwater after use and clean it with ordinary white vinegar once every 2-4 months and it will be fine forever.

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 17 2012 at 5:44pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 5:41pm
Agree with Mark as well on all that, including the hydrometer part.

Adam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikenmandymoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 6:35pm
Ahh, well see we bought a refractometer at reef fest from Aquatic Dreams - they had it on sale for a STEAL!  So we bought it.  We use these instruments at the vet clinic all the time so we know how to use / care for it. :)

However, I enjoy the thought of stirring the saltwater up with a power tool!!! :)
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2012 at 12:17pm
CoolCool.
To be perfectly honest, I'd rather use a Refractometer, because technology is awesome, but I am also all about making this hobby as affordable as possible.

Don't you just love that crisp defining line between white and blue...Big smile
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2012 at 12:51pm
I always thought the paint stirrer was a freakin brilliant idea! Because as I always say, power tools can be used for anything!

Other than that, Adam and Mark summed it up nicely, its easy to make and can be done fairly quickly !
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 4:24am
I agree it is brilliant. Wasn't it John Finch that first demonstrated the drill paint stirring tool at a meeting? John had brilliant ideas. I miss him.
the seanze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the seanze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 9:32am

Oh, and a quick tip to help with the stirring, Put a powerhead in your bucket and stir the salt on the bottom occasionaly it really makes it easy.

Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2012 at 10:22am
I believe it was Jon, thats at lest who I saw it from first....
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2012 at 11:54pm
I use a rubber maid tote and my ATO pump to mix.......after an over night mix at room temp I then clean the tank and refill into my overflow with the same pump :) No muss no fuss not fancy but never see any swings in my params......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikenmandymoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 8:14am
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!  Going to plan on start mixing my own here rather soon - buying the premix is expensive.... as well as my shock to find out that the premix water was 1.032!  So - salt mix will be bought shortly. :)
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 5:36pm
I would approach the LFS with the info that your Refractometer reads their water at 1.032. Somebody's salinity tester may be way off and at this point we cannot be sure which one is off or if both are off. Having worked at an LFS, this is the kind of stuff we appreciate being brought to our attention, not in an attitude of accusation, but as a way to get to the truth of what's going on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikenmandymoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 7:07pm
Thanks Mark - maybe I will.  We have bought it from the start from this store and so found it interesting that the refractometer read so high.  Will we need to recalibrate every day with RO water then?
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 8:00pm
Most people never calibrate.... which is a big problem. To be honest I think if you are calibrating once per year that is way more than most people.

Adam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikenmandymoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 8:48pm
Thanks for the advice Adam!  Will plan on calibrating it tomorrow and then retesting the water.  May do a good 10% water change as well.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2012 at 10:14pm
Most people never calibrate.... which is a big problem. To be honest I think if you are calibrating once per year that is way more than most people.

Adam

Crap then i must be doing it wrong.......as I am fairly new i check it everytime I test , more for my info than anything else besides only takes a second and my kids like to look into the refract :)
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 8:24am
don't forget to test for ALK!
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikenmandymoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2012 at 8:45am
I got the ALK strips yesterday - gonna test those this morning.  Also, calibrated the refractometer this morning and then retested the tank - tanks salinity is now 1.029.... getting better, but far from stable. :P
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic