Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Tank - Autotop Off ideas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Tank - Autotop Off ideas
    Posted: March 13 2011 at 6:10pm
I am in the process of upgrading to a new tank!  My biggest obstacle right now is the autotop off.  My current tank evaporate less than 5 gal a week.  I just swap out a 5gal bucket every week for the current autotop off.

Issue is, my new tank is twice the size and I won't have room in the stand for RO water, nor do I really want to carry up water every couple of days.

I'd really like to automate the top-off as much as possible , right to the RO source if possible.  The biggest problem is my RO is a floor down and unfortunatley not directly below the tank.  In addition I don't have a horribly close water source to the tank.

Any thoughts or ideas how this can be done? 
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2011 at 6:15pm
I'm just glad to see you are still around!

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2011 at 6:19pm

Hey Adam, its good to still be around! 

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2011 at 7:43pm
Well you either have to route water to the tank some way or store water near the tank if you want to do an ATO. Not knowing anything about the space it's going in or what's above or below it makes it hard to give suggestions about routing water to the tank, but I did have the same issue with lack of room for RO water storage in my stand. I purchased a small cabinet that looked good with my stand and kept my storage container and pump in the cabinet next to the tank and just ran a line from my aqualifter inside the cabinet to the tank. I used float switches to control power to the aqualifter. It worked well for me.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2011 at 9:24am
Ryan,
What is the current 5 gal bucket swap auto-topoff?
Here are my thoughtsSmile

1. Run a 1/4" pressurized water line to the RO unit inside the stand. Refridgerator ice makers use this principle.
2. Run the 1/4" RO line through the ceiling/floor to feed the sump through a float valve.
3. Use an electrical float valve in the sump to turn on a remote pump sitting in a storage tub next to the RO unit, with 1/4" line running through the ceiling/floor. One X10 home automation unit would signal the pump to turn on.
4. Relocate the tank to a location closer to the RO water source, so that lugging water is not such a chore.

In any case, an automatic shut-off valve is a good idea at the RO unit to shut off the supply water when the RO water pressure rises.

Hope this helps. Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - March 14 2011 at 9:26am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefAddict View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 8:04pm
I tapped the cold water under my kitchen sink and ran a line directly down into the basement. It runs horizontally for 25ft to my RO unit in the basement. The RO unit sits directly under my tank and I ran a line up the wall and out of a blank faceplate into the stand where I have an electronic switch on my auto top off. I also have the doohickey that stops the water from being wasted when the solenoid clicks off.
Will work for frags.
(801) 664-0805
Computer Technician. MCSE. VMWare Hack, AD Overlord, Apex Neptune Master, Rapid LED Genius and overall Nerd.
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 9:20pm
if you're connecting directly to the RO for auto top off, my only recommendation is to be careful. I have seen too many tanks where their shut off failed and their SW tank became a FW tank. I like the idea of have some sort of limit in how much your tank will top off. I have a 200 gallon tank I have my top off water last about a week and that's about 10 gallon of water.
200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 9:26pm
Wow danh I have a 60 cube and I go thru about 10 gallons every 5 days
dc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2011 at 10:32pm
it depends on your water pressure if its good put it in the basement and run a line up if not try to add a pump. as far as a float the best one is the really cheap one(cant remember the name,sorry) its just a small off white egg shaped float. the kent one is ok to.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic