Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs anyone here a Marine Biologist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 9:22am
I didn't take time to read the posts above so this may have been said...

Tyler- I'm a marine biologist, and I also currently serve as an advisor for the marine students at the U.  So if you are interested in marine biology, particularly at the U, then yes give me a call and I can help you out with those career decisions.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
ClowningAround View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 10:27am
Tyler, I would advice you to ONLY meet Adam on campus, in his office.  Then you will know for sure he is telling the truth.  If he truly is an advisor to marine students at the U, Adam will not have any problems giving you his secretaries number in order to set up that appointment?  If he says that he works at home for the U, what University do you know that has their advisors work from home?

Corey Price View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 12:40pm
You know, for all the mudslinging conspiracy theories out there on the subject, Adam might as well be a CIA or NSA spy. I'm sorry, but posting using a new username for anonymity on a silly forum about reefs is laughable. I just have to ask why does anyone care? Is the subject hurting someone?

This thread has turned into the worst thread I have read in a long time, almost as bad as when political topics were (sort of) allowed to go crazy.

Will or Shawn- Please lock the thread! It's going nowhere.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by ClowningAround ClowningAround wrote:

what University do you know that has their advisors work from home?
I believe there are now 1000's of universities where the faculty can work from home via the www. I myself make my living talking to people at desks in offices giving online demonstrations of a software program, all the while sitting on my bed in my pajamas.Big smile

What is interesting to me as I look at this thread is that we could have been discussing the ins and outs of a career in Marine Biology, but instead we spent an inordinate amount of time discussing credentials.

As I sit here on my bed (I showered and got dressed because this is importantWink), I'd like to lead out by saying some things that may be helpful.

The most important thing I have learned about a career is that if you like the work you will be happy at it. Like Shane pointed out, working at something completely changes the nature of what started out as a hobby.

The Chiropractor that job shadowed to be sure he would like the job was very wise. Some people go all the way through college, only to find that they don't like the job. One of my brothers was going to teach shop. He started student teaching and quickly realized he did not like the teaching part. He continued at Utah State, got his degree in Industrial Arts, and has enjoyed building furniture ever since.Smile

Many people start out in one area and then move to something that captures their interest. The thing to realize is that it's all good and one thing always leads to another and usually the next job is better than the previous job. I used to tell my recruited candidates that I rarely saw anyone change jobs and do worse. And it's not just the money. Sterling18/Peter recently moved here from NY because he wanted to do something good for his family and his church. He earns less money now than in NY but loves his job and his family has benefited in the new envirronment. Peter tells me that his lifestyle has actually improved by changing jobs.

I know a man who does Marine biology research as a sideline. His main income is from being an engineer/supervisor at a water treatment plant. At his home he does the research. I recently helped him with coral spawning studies. I don't know what his degree is, but I'm pretty sure it's not in Marine Biology. Yet he is in demand and is known as one of the experts in this industry. His name is Dana Riddle. Do a web search and you will find that he is well known and accomplished.

I could probably go on all day, but that's enough for now. If you call I can probably help you. I'd be happy to help you get in touch with some people in the field. I'll also coach you on how to contact these complete strangers and get their advice and help without feeling like you are bothering them. Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 08 2010 at 3:41pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Crzyfshguy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 4:17pm
I know nothing on the subject, but here are my two cents...

Shane is very correct in saying that you want to keep your hobbies and career separate as to not make your hobby feel like a never-ending pile of work over time.

Having a degree in something USEFUL in your area will get you far. If you were to get a degree in something similar to Marine Biology then you could always train in it, and enjoy all the perks of being a trained and practiced marine Biologist LIKE ADAM without having a degree devoted strictly to that field, therefore allowing you to find much more available work in the same field.

How many marine biologist positions are open in Utah, let alone everywhere else? Find a field that you can always rely on for work like Mark has, that wont stop you from doing all the things you could in Marine biology, you would just have to go about it differently, and much more intelligently like Adam did.

Find a degree that every industry needs, and stay away from mainstream degrees like computer science, there are SOOOO many people that jumped on that bandwagon and are out of work competing with hundreds of others with the same degree.

I have a friend who wanted to be a teacher, got a degree in teaching and realized after all the work he went through, he really didnt want to do it for several reasons. So he applied for a job as a police officer with Salt lake city, and was selected much more quickly because he had a degree in something useful. Is teaching in any way like law enforcement on paper, NO. Is it similar in real world, yes. So you can see where I am heading with this.

Dont tie yourself to one thing for the rest of your life... And learn everything you can from people related to your dream field ( degree or not )

Edited by Crzyfshguy - May 08 2010 at 4:17pm
45G w/ leds
15G sump
MP10es

Crzyfshguy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 4:23pm
Heck better yet get a degree in Animal Husbandry... Sounds alot like Coral propagation to me, and every aspect of nature needs someone devoted to breeding them. That way if we have a major catastrophe and all water life is dead, you arent stuck with a marine biology degree, but you are certainly well trained and have a degree to back it up when it comes time to re-populate.

VERY far fetched example, but anything can happen.
45G w/ leds
15G sump
MP10es

Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2010 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by ClowningAround ClowningAround wrote:

Tyler, I would advice you to ONLY meet Adam on campus, in his office.  Then you will know for sure he is telling the truth.  If he truly is an advisor to marine students at the U, Adam will not have any problems giving you his secretaries number in order to set up that appointment?  If he says that he works at home for the U, what University do you know that has their advisors work from home?

This is a great idea!  Tyler lets do that.  We don't normally  have people just touring around but I'd be happy to let you come up to settle this.  We are in between school semesters right now, so this week is perfect.  Come on up.  I'll show you around, introduce you to my coworkers, my secretary (we actually call them Admin Assistants) and you can sit at my desk and post on this forum if you'd like LOL.  I'll even show you the the little schedules that show who is working from home on what days (it's very common for us). 

Then, I encourage you to come and post here.  Why not?  Maybe all the people who think they know something (but clearly never bothered to just ask me) will find out how stupid they look to everyone.  Wouldn't it be great if people just asked or simply came over for pizza sometime????

Adam
Presidency
Presidency

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2010 at 1:00pm
Tyler-
Just wanted to make sure you know the offer still stands next week, or next month, or whenever you are available. 

If you (or anyone else) has questions just email [email protected]

Adam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic