Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Macro algae help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Macro algae help
    Posted: February 05 2010 at 10:27am
For the last 3 years I have run chaeto in my sump/fuge and I want to try something else. I have been scared to try caulerpa because of reading about it going asexual and crashing tanks. My fuge has always been on reverse lighting with my display and is on for about 14hrs. per day. I recently added a small Tomini tang to the tank and thought it might enjoy an occasional snack as well. Any advise/recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Mike
Some day, when I grow up,...

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2010 at 8:23am
Scared by the rumors, huh. Wink 
I wonder how many people here have ever seen Caulerpa do this? It will be rare to find someone.

Since my first RDP Refugium in 1996, I have always grown Caulerpa. When Chaetomorpha was brought to the hobby about 1999, I found benefits to growing both. As you pointed out, herbivorous fishes like Caulerpa. It also looks attractive. Unfortunately, it usually does not grow fast enough to meet the needs, so most hobbyists supplement feed Nori and Romaine lettuce instead, using Emerald Entree as their main frozen food.

I can remember only a few times seeing the dissolving of almost all the Caulerpa in an entire tank, but the one time it happened to me, it did not crash the tank possibly because of the way I utilize biological filtration. Some of it actually survived and soon grew again. But I see how some people run their tanks and understand why the total dissolution of Caulerpa would do them in.

There are many kinds of Macroalgae that can be utilized in your Refugium. I once had a beautiful growth of blue Dictyota in a Refugium and have always loved and tried to grow the more difficult red algae. Sargassum is very cool as well. If you want to see pics of different marine algae, go here: http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244 The link is in the text or go to the Tips and How to's section under the title "Beautiful Algae, the good and the bad."

Hope this helps.Smile

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2010 at 9:03pm
Thanks Mark!
Some day, when I grow up,...

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic