Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A great Store

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 3:16pm
It was not my tang that I bought from another store. It was a Pearly Jawfish, that looked clean but developed ich soon after I brought him home. He has since died and given ich to almost everyone in my tank. Everything in my tank was doing perfectly. Water quality was great, everything got along.

rfoote-The Aquarium's staff has always been great to me. I see them helping many people at once. Maybe you were kinda a jerk to them. What goes around comes around.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 3:29pm

Originally posted by pmpt pmpt wrote:

rfoote-... Maybe you were kinda a jerk to them. What goes around comes around.

Wow!  There is someone who obviously has not met Ryan.

Adam
(by the way Ryan, I have no idea what store is being referred to as well) 

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 3:36pm
Sorry, after reading that it seemed kinda rude. But I have been in fish stores before and seen what kind of jerks people can be when they don't get helped right away, or when a sales rep is doing everything he or she can but there really isn't anything for them to do or can do. Especially when a store gets very busy. So sorry rfoote, didn't mean to attack you.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 3:43pm

pmpt,

Yeah that makes sense.  I know what you mean, and I agree.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 3:44pm
Sorry pmpt - My intention was not to offend you.  I've seen the same things at LFS as well. 
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 4:36pm

Im not sure if i should reply to this but what the heck.

I think to often the LFS is blamed for many things going wrong or hell breaking loose in your Aquarium. To say any new fish caused a Ich outbreak in a tank that is doing Geat I would have to say well yeah that can happen anytime you put anything in your Aquarium being coral or fish there can be problems.

If its a fish there is stress of a new imviroment! maybe the other fish picked on him maybe he stressed out on his own there is many many reasons it could happen Remember just cause we want them doesnt mean the fish we allready have will have to get along with them...I can Guarantee That i Dont, Wont,and will not sell any fish that i even thing isnt doing ok and that all any LFS can do

Sorry if i am coming off rude i just disslike when all aquarium problems are blamed on The LFS!!!!

Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 4:52pm

i would like to say that anything i have bought from eric is still alive and thriving! proper acclimatiom and several other variables make fish and corals servive.

thanks eric, i appreciate you and your store

no, i'm not kissing your a**

Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
improdigal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 4:55pm

btw, Eric, you weren't the store they were dissing on, just in case you didn't catch that in Connie's post.

Patrick
BigBlue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 5:31pm
To be fair, I doubt any LFS *purposely* sells a fish they know
has ich- they're just trying to sell a fish for more than they paid
for it as fast as possible. That's the nature of business and they
have no agenda beyond that. I did surprisingly note one day
that I was advised by a LFS ower *not* to buy something-
implying they knew it was on it's way out, when it looked
pefectly healthy to me. But then I guess they'll let some
unfortunate buy it whose custom they valued less for some
reason. I had mixed feelings on that one..

As consumers we have to determine for ourselves which LFS is
probably the *least likely* to give us ich as it usually takes time
to manifest iteself.   What surprises me is that in one LFS there
is always at least one dead fish floating around sharing the
same water with the other tanks that I would have otherwise
purchased from. But that LFS really relies on high turnover at
lower prices.

Don't worry Er ic(h) - I'm not referring to MA !
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 5:39pm
In my post i didnt say what i said for just "MA" but for all LFS Thanks for all who has supported us...
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

bhaight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhaight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 8:35pm
I've really debated whether or not I wanted to post in this string because of the sensativity some seem to have towards the subject matter (it has reminded me of a guy who made fun of Macintosh computers in my class one time and boy did the Macintosh faithful let him have it ) but am going to risk it.

I've been going to the Aquarium for several years now and have some really good friends there. In fact I've had a couple of the employees over to my house on more than one occasion. I will continue going there because of things already listed namely conveinence of location, quality of product, and variety of product. But I'm not so blindly loyal that I can't say that their prices, in many cases (not all), are quite a bit more than other stores. I was in there tonight and they wanted $30 for a yellow tang. That pretty much says it all. I asked them about it and they said it was because of the tangs' size. Well, I bought a yellow tang that was quite a bit bigger than anything they had from another store and it cost $15. Now I know if I had asked them to price match they would have made an effort but I would not have gotten one of those fish for $15 which is fine because he has to make a living. Brad has a GREAT business and he does well to which I say more power too him. He has a loyal clientel that is willing to pay more for the quality they perceive and, like I said before, I'm one who will continue going there.

I've been in MA a couple of times now and really like what I see. The prices are really good and if they keep going the way they're going they may be competative in the variety department. What I've seen of their livestock, so far, they look like their doing well with quality as well. Like someone else in the string already said, we're lucky that we have so many stores to chose from in our area. Being able to choose where I go to buy stuff is great.

Now all that being said nothing beats getting a frag from someone in the club for $5 that anywhere else would cost at least $30.
Bill Haight
You'll need a bigger boat.
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 8:56pm
Well said Bill!
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 9:05pm
I second that!!!!!!!!!!
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 9:15pm
I think we all need to support PetCo more.
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 9:23pm
I havent been as impressed with PetCo's coral selection lately.
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 9:27pm
I can easily overlook the smaller selection when I consider the knowledge of the staff.
bhaight View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhaight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2004 at 9:28pm
What's really cool at the PetCo in Fort Union is when they're getting a Blue Neon Tetra for my daughter and the bird slips off the PetCo employee's shoulder into the tank. I hoped to see a Tetra feeding frenzy on a green parakeet!
Bill Haight
You'll need a bigger boat.
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2004 at 8:52am

Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

I can easily overlook the smaller selection when I consider the knowledge of the staff.

There was no  at the end of that remark so I imagine that the Petco close to you has a better staff than the one's I've been in.  I in no way intend this to sound rude, but the ones I've been in have had nothing much to sell in thier saltwater tanks and the 16 year olds that run the dept, when you can find one, can't even catch a fish, much less tell me anything about it.  I must admit I haven't been in a Petco for a while because of having this experience a couple times in a row so maybe things have changed since then.  Maybe the staff from your store will move to the new one their building by my place.

I have the same problem at Marine Aquatics.  Everytime I go in there, there is no one there to help me.  I have to search all over the place to find an employee and then they either don't want to help me or have no knowledge about the livestock.  I can never get anyone there to talk to me. 

Just kidding of course.  As anyone who has been there knows, Eric and Arjen are always ready and willing to help out.  They are one of my favorite stores and are definately tops in customer service.  They are very knowledgable about the hobby and are more than willing to share that knowledge with the rest of us.

Also, many of us are ready to say "We are lucky to have so many great LFS to choose from.", but do we really understand how lucky we are.  Many people in many places have almost no choice except the internet.  That makes it hard to say, I need this today to fix a problem.  For instance, I would be interested to know how many local LFS Travis in Wyoming has to choose from.

Edited by wsinbad1
improdigal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote improdigal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2004 at 9:22am

Actually I thought he was just being HEAVILY Sarcastic.

I do still pick up some stuff from PetCo on occasion because it's usually cheap, but I use my OWN judgement on what to buy or not.

Edited by improdigal
Patrick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic