Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is alk or ca more important?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is alk or ca more important?
    Posted: January 05 2008 at 9:00pm
I have been struggling recently to keep these two levels in balance and high enough for my SPS. Due to my issues I have noticed that when my ca is good but my alk is low my corals look bad and lose color. When the alk is high but the ca is low the corals look better but still not 100%. My opinion is alk is more important. Obviously the ultimate scenario is to have both levels in line. What have others noticed?
60g LPS Cube
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 9:11pm

While both are important I think you are correct that a low Alk reading will adversely effect your SPS more rapidly and with more noticeable symptoms / consequences than if your Alk is good but your Ca is low... without adequate levels of carbonate buffering I don't think your corals can effectively utilize the available Ca anyway...

So I guess you could say maintaing the proper Alk level is more "important"

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 9:13pm
Keep alk at 9-12 dKH, Calcium at 400-450, and magnesium at 1280-1400... they are VERY ESSENTIAL for growth and a healthy sps.
www.captivereefing.com
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 9:14pm
P.S. - How's your Mg level?

If Mg is too low it bcomes more difficult to maintain higher levels of both Ca & Alk without either the Ca or Alk supplements precipitating out of the water...

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 9:52pm
There is 4-5 times more calcium then alkalinity in seawater.  Calcification requires both alk and calcium, meaning to the coral they are both important (the omega value is what's ultimately important).  But in reality, since there is such a small amount of alk in the water, it doesn't take too much of a decline to become very noticeable to the corals.

Edited by jfinch - January 05 2008 at 9:52pm
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 9:55pm
What Jon said... or I'd just answer with Alkalinity.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 10:19pm
Alkalinity drop definitely stresses my corals first.

Mike

bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 10:27pm
when dosing with Kalk, is there any Magnesium added?
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by bbeck4x4 bbeck4x4 wrote:

when dosing with Kalk, is there any Magnesium added?

No
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 10:36pm
what is a good (cheep)source of mag? 
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 10:49pm

I don't really have experience but I'll throw in my 2 cents.

If you can't get the "Keep alk at 9-12 dKH, Calcium at 400-450, and magnesium at 1280-1400... they are VERY ESSENTIAL for growth and a healthy sps. " that reptoreef correctly spoke of, then you need to find a new way to add this or you need to add less at a time.
So the question is how do you get these in your tank and do you ever see a precipitate?
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 10:50pm
3 parts Magnesium Chloride to 1 part Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulfate)...

You can just use the Epsom Salts alone but eventually it will upset the balance between sulfides and chlorides in your water (I think those are the terms)...

bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 10:53pm
I am currently dosing kalk to make up for evaporation, but have paid little attention to my magnesium levels. along with regular water changes.

I probably should start adding some mag.

bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 11:01pm
epsom salt I can find, where would I find the Mag chloride?

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 11:05pm
You should test for Mg before adding.

I'm sure there are a few places on-line where you can buy MgCl2, but I bought mine at The Chem Shop in Centerville. 
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 11:08pm
ok, yes, I would test before I added, about what quantities do you purchase and how long do they last?

MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 11:17pm

I don't use kalk(but have been thinking about it) and everything looks happy. To be honest I don't have a mag. test. It and iodine would be the only tests I need to set up my lab right. I have many different additives that I use at different times based on my tests. I use Seachem reef atvantage calcium to boost calcium and that has magnesium and strontium. Reef builder for alk. I know there are less expensive ways. Until I know my system this is what I'll use. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit-
I only have to adjust once every week or two. I don't have many corals. When I have more I will try to save money with alternate additives.

Edited by MadReefer - January 05 2008 at 11:58pm
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 11:22pm
Brian,  I bought like 5 lbs about 4 yrs ago and still have about 4.5 lbs left LOL.  Oh and Epsom salts can be found in the pharmacy section of any grocery store.

I don't use kalk(but have been thinking about it) and everything looks happy...  use Seachem reef atvantage calcium to boost calcium and that has magnesium and strontium. Reef builder for alk. I know there are less expensive ways. Until I know my system this is what I'll use this. Any help would be appreciated.

If your tank's happy and you're not going broke then don't change a thing.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with doing what your currently doing.

Edited by jfinch - January 05 2008 at 11:23pm
bbeck4x4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbeck4x4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 11:25pm
sounds good, thanks.

shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2008 at 11:45pm
Well it looks like others have noticed the same as I have. I too have noticed that my alk can fluctuate a ton while my ca takes a while to really change. Really all this 'noticing' has occurred because I've been a giant moron and have been dosing soooooo much that I've killed/browned out a majority of my sps. My ca/alk has been jumping around from too low to too high. But I guess patience is a virtue... one I don't have But I have been testing my mg and its a tad low but nothing to worry about, especially when compared to my ca/alk problems I've been causing myself.
60g LPS Cube
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic