Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about live rock...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Meeshi_ma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meeshi_ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about live rock...
    Posted: January 30 2004 at 9:39pm

Ok, I've always heard that you want to go 1-1 1/2 lbs per gallon when you're getting live rock.  But when I was looking at TBS's site their "package" (http://www.tbsaltwater.com/package_chart.html) is always 2 pounds.  That doesn't sound two bad, but 40 lbs of live rock would have filled my 18 gallon to the top, and if I started up a 90 gallon tank, isn't 180 lbs way too much?  Is Tampa Bay's rock simply denser than what I'm used too?  I've got mostly Tongan in my little tank now so I'm not sure as to the difference.

One more question, if the rock is really similar, couldn't I go with something like the 60 gallon package instead?  That would be cheaper and would still be 120 lbs of rock.

Thanks!

Brian

ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2004 at 9:52pm
In my opion 1 pound per gallon is plenty. It all depends on personal preferance of how you want the tank to look. How much room you want to leave for fish and if you have a sump with added filtration. Also depends on like you said how dense the rock is.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2004 at 6:41am
I agree with Pistonfister. He has done a nice job of aquascaping to make his rock have a natural and artistic look. Personally, I consider this hobby to be a visual, live, art form.

And if you try to get all your LR all at once, there may be no room left to place that nice coral or to get that next really nice looking piece of LR in the LFS tank!

(Watch for Pistonfister's tank in the next TOTM display)
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2004 at 8:35am

It is true that Florida rock is much more dense than your pacific rocks.  Just something to keep in mind.  I would also talk to Sean Spargur, since he has purchased lots of rock and can tell you more direct information.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Meeshi_ma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meeshi_ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2004 at 10:52am

Thanks for the help!

Brian

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic