FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pictures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pictures
    Posted: November 17 2003 at 7:34pm

Edited by cpearce....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2003 at 7:37pm

Edited by cpearce....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2003 at 7:39pm

Edited by cpearce....
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2003 at 8:20pm

The top picture is my LT purple anemone that I thought for sure was dead (see LT purple anemone topic for more details).  The picture was take by using a mirror that I stuck behind the tank and then took a picture of the mirror. 

The second picture is a top view of my green bulb anemone that is only inches above the LT purple anemone.  When my LT purple anemone went behind the rocks I went looking for it and didn't realize that the green bulb was stuck to two rocks.  So, when I lifted one of the rocks up to see if my LT was underneath I ripped the green bulb almost in half and though for sure it was dead, but instead it made a great recovery as you can see.

The third picture is a just one of my entire tank.  The two anemones are on the left side (notice the yellow polyps in second picture and the entire tank) .  I also realize that my white urchin (that you can see in the picture on the left) is what has been making all of my coraline algae turn white or disappear!  I guess coraline algae is part of their food source.

One further question, how do I know if I have too many snails?

-Cody

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2003 at 8:33pm
The pics are so large I cannot see them properly.
Please edit and shrink the pics to about 7 inches/600pixels at 72pixels per inch.
Thanks.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2003 at 9:40pm

Sorry, still new at the picture posting, hopefully that works better now.

-Cody

bubblenbrain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bubblenbrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2003 at 1:53am
Spearce....some urchins main diet is calcerious(spelling?) algae.....I have problems with coralline algae growth...so I have avoided urchins like the plague...and starfish are bad about eating it also.....just thought I would let you know....plus I hate the little(and biggins) buggers when I am diving....always putting holes in your fingers when you aren't looking:(
Tiny bubbles in my head
:) what was the count again....1, 2, 8, 3
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2003 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by cpearce.... cpearce.... wrote:

One further question, how do I know if I have too many snails?

You can't have too many.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2003 at 1:30pm

When you can no longer differentiate the snails from the substrate you have too many. 

Thats what happened with my tank--it was fresh water.  I then dried it out, tossed all the sand and dead snails and said what the heck, I've always wanted a salt water aquarium and here I am now.

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2003 at 3:09pm
About a month ago I put 240 snails in my 150 gallon tank at my office.  I don't think this is too many, but it's kind of ugly.  I had one client ask if I was raising Escargot.  When I get my tank at home in a couple weeks I'll transfer about half of them here and it will look a little bit better.

Edited by wsinbad1
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2003 at 6:38pm
Looks like you are doing great. How did you find a purple Hippo Tang? and where is the actual Purple Tang?
I once had a tank just for growing Coralline algae for my white Collector Urchin. It was great to have an urchin that picks up stuff and drags it around the tank
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2003 at 9:40pm

So that many snails will always have enough to eat?  I guess the angle of light made the hippo tang look purple, but in actuallity it is very flourescent blue.  The purple tang stays underneath the rocks and doesn't come out much anymore, I don't know why, it looks very healthy, fat, and is fairly large even though you can't see it in the picture.  Also, this tank is run purely on tap water for 10 months and I have had no problems.

-Cody

Edited by cpearce....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic