Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIY HOB refugium

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY HOB refugium
    Posted: May 21 2006 at 10:38pm

Here it is! I just finished my HOB refugium. It's 14 inches high by 14 inches long by 5 inches wide. 1/4 inch acrylic and glue cost $23 and the schedule 80 dark grey fittings cost about $20. The return line is 1 inch and the inlet pipe is 1/2 inch.  I am in the process of making the lights for it and I am going to use a maxi jet 900 to push water through it. I also have an air driven skimmer in the mail that will fit in the compartment where the inlet pipe is. That compartment is 3 inches by 5 inches. The compartment that holds the sand and algae is 9 inches by 5 inches. Not bad for $40. If you used regular white PVC fittings you could save about $15. I used dark grey because it looks better in the aquarium. I guess it's all indifferent once it gets covered with coraline.
Be careful who watches your tank! http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27846
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2006 at 10:52pm
Jason-Orem,UT
I swear if I spend any more money on my tank we will be the only family living in a cardboard box with a reef tank! 

To be honest we would have quite a neiborhood of cardboard boxes. The lighting would be awsome though.

Nice fugeThumbs Up
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2006 at 11:10pm
Nice work.
Kevin F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 10:14am
Very cool. Where did you get the grey fitting?
The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly. Albert Einstein
JS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 11:11am
Kevin,

I got the dark grey fittings at the local Lowes. They have a whole section of schedule 80 fittings. It was located by the sprinkler section. Kind of pricey but I thought it was worth it. They had fittings from .5 inch to 1.5 inches. I really can't believe that companies charge over $100 for these HOB refugiums.

Edited by Fatso - May 22 2006 at 11:19am
Be careful who watches your tank! http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=27846
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 12:38pm
Grey fittings are for spa's. Home depot has them as well. It is a great looking refug.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2006 at 8:17pm
do you have some sort of spillover thing, like if the outlet cloggs for some reason then the water has a way back into the tank instead of overflowing out of the fuge?
taylorwaldron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taylorwaldron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2006 at 2:22pm
how will you connect the maxijet to it?? also how much sand will you be puting in? i have thought to make one as well.
JS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 9:17am
sshm,

I haven't really thought about it overflowing. It would be really easy to modify it to allow the water back into the tank. The return pipe sits about 1/2 inch off of the bottom of the fuge. I had a frag tank plumbed to my sump in a previous tank with the same concept for return and never had a problem with it overflowing(not saying it couldn't happen). I think putting a piece of eggcrate between the last baffle and the return compartment would stop anything big enought to clog the line from entering. Anyone with these HOB fuges had any problems with overflowing?

taylorwaldron,

I just slip a piece of vinyl tubing over the maxijet nozzle and that will fit snuggly into the 1/2 inch pipe(not the fitting). If it doesn't fit tight enough you can wrap the vinyl with teflon tape. Just cut the 1/2 inch pipe to where you want the pump to sit in the tank. I also built a pre-skimmer box out of 1/8 black acrylic and the maxijet sits in that pulling water from the surface. I ended up using a RIO 800 because I had it laying around. I intalled the fuge and added about 15-17lbs. of oolitic aragonite sand (5-6 inch bed). I am going to get rubble rock and chaeto algae today. I also purchased a $20 27watt PC light at HD that I am modifying. The bulb is a quad bulb and is only like 6 inches by 4 inches, perfect for the 9X5 inch compartment. I say go for it. The hardest part was gluing the acrylic and that wasn't terrible.
taylorwaldron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taylorwaldron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2006 at 11:54am
when you get it all set up and working, would you mind if i dropped by and saw it in action? i am down in orem usually once a month or so.
Kevin F View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 2:20am
I don't think you will have to much of a problem with spillage except the first time you turn it on. The design is very similiar to the CPR HOB refugiums, so I'm thinking it would work similiarly. JMO
The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly. Albert Einstein
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2006 at 11:35pm
Wouldn't future cleaning be hampered by the end of the outlet pipe being so close to the bottom? I don't understand the necessity for that compartment. (I'm a simple, "no compartments" type of guyEmbarrassed) Why couldn't the pipe just hang into the refugium with a good screen over the end? The flow isn't so fast that the screen would ever get clogged, especially with all the bugs that should be living there. That way the refugium could also be longer.Smile

The biggest problem I see with having the pump sit in a skimmer box is that evaporation will cause it to go dry. Unless I am misunderstanding it, all water lost to evaporation will first lower the water level in the skimmer box. Then there is the problem of tuning the powerhead to pump just the right amount of water. Too slow - no skimming action; too fast - pump runs dry.Cry

Personally, I like the design with the pump located in the refugium rather than in the tank. Bubbles in the siphon tube are the biggest problem. They are easily removed manually or with the powerhead by a line leading from the top of the siphon tube.Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - May 30 2006 at 11:49pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
JS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2006 at 12:34pm
taylorwaldron,

Don't mind at all. Just give my cell # a call to give me a heads up. The more time the better. (702)217-7394.

Kevin F,

You're right. When I first hooked it up and plugged in the pump the water level rose to almost overflow. I had to unplug the pump and plug it back in a couple of times and when the air was out of the return line the water level dropped and stayed constant. I did base it off of the CPR models just changed the dimensions to suit my needs.

Mark Peterson,

Not sure if cleaning would be hampered or will be neccessary. If it is neccessary the return pipe is not glued to the 90 degree fitting and can be removed. I know a lot of protein skimmers have the return really close to the bottom to prevent micro-bubbles. Kind of what I was trying to achieve here since I have a air driven skimmer in the first compartment that doesn't keep all of the bubbles in the tube. I have tried a straight outlet fitting(eliminating the elbow and submerged pipe) and because it sucks in air with the water as it returns to the tank I get some serious bubbles. This is eliminated with the submerged return.
    I have the pump in the skimmer box for access reasons. I don't have to worry about skimmer box running dry. I have 4 suction cups mounted to the back of the pre-skimmer box. I have a DIY auto top off that I made. It consists of a 10 gallon aquarium in the stand plumbed with 1/2 inch CPVC and with a CPVC gate valve. A maxijet 1200 sits in the tank and pushes the water into the main tank. I have it connected to a digital timer that goes off for 1 minute every 4 hours. I just found where I wanted my water level in my tank and measured the evaporation after 4 hours. I then turned the pupm on for 1 minute and adjusted the gate valve to the desired amount. After I found the water level in my tank I just slid the pre-skimmer box where I wanted it(suction cups). Works awesome and tank level stays constant. The one thing I will say is at night when the fans go off the evaporation is less. I have the water top off inlet positioned so it sits 90'd into my tank with the opening about 1/16-1/8 inch above the water level I desire. At night as the pump goes on the water level will fill up a little past the opening and when the pump goes off it will back siphon about 1/2 cup of tank water until the sipon breaks and that is where my water level should be. I have checked my salinity each week before my 5 gallon water change and have not noticed any drops in salinity.

I have had the fuge running for about 1 week and the chaeto has already been mowed once. I will update this with new pictures of everything in action. Sorry for the long post.

Edited by Fatso - May 31 2006 at 1:14pm
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 4:44pm
I know it's been over a year since this thread died, but I thought I'd resurrect it!

JS,

How is the HOB refugium working out?  Have you made any modifications to it in the last year?  Anything you would have done differently?  and finally, do you have any current pics you want to share with us?

Thanks,

Tim
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 4:52pm
It sure looks sweet!

Mike

superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 4:57pm
This is very similar to what I was thinking of building, but I wasn't going to use PVC pipe as a return.  I was thinking more along the lines of building an overflow in the last box that would work just like a HOB filter...  What are the pluses and minuses or using PVC instead of the type of overflow I was planning?
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
JS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2007 at 11:17pm
Tim, I Have since sold the tank and the fuge so no current pics are available. I wasn't trying to re-invent the wheel when I built the fuge, I just didn't want to pay the price of retail. I also just made the dimmesions custom to what I wanted. The rest of the design just came from the CPR HOB fuges that they charge $150 for. I think it cost me $40 total. The tank I had it on was a 37 gal and I was afraid to hang it on the back because of the weight so I supported the fuge with a piece of 3inch PVC pipe. The only thing I would change is to cut slots in the top of the last baffle before the return. Water would flow under the baffle and once in awhile I would get build up on the top water layer. Kind of like tanks without overflows (nothing to surface skim). The fuge still worked great despite me not being pleased with the baffle. I will post a picture of the fuge in action.

Edited by JS - September 08 2007 at 11:18pm
llj000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llj000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2012 at 9:02am
I know it's been over a year since this thread died, but I thought I'd resurrect it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic