Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

traping a pepermint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: traping a pepermint
    Posted: October 06 2003 at 11:31am
Does anyone know how to trap a pepermint shrimp? I have 2 in my 125 and I suspect they are eating some of my polyps. I would like to move them to my refuge.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2003 at 7:17pm
When do they come out to eat and will they eat something that can be put in the WMAS Fish Trap.

Who has the trap?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
scroll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2003 at 1:34am
check to see if they are camalback shrimp because they do eat polyps. But peppermint shrimp may pick on yellow polyps.
just my 3 cents shy of a nickel. Ryan 897-2000

1 125 gallon reef
1 120 gallon reef tank and stand custom built by MSM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2003 at 9:21pm
Scroll, As far as I can tell I belive that there are pepermints not camels. I also suspect one of my tangs. I have a Naso and a yellow. I have seen them picking on some of the corals. Do tangs pick on polyps?
Mark, Does this trap harm the shrimp? and what is the wmas trap?
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2003 at 8:07am
Pistonfisher,

I have a Blue Tang that nips on corals all the time. He doesn't eat them necessarily, but can cause them to close up, and not eat. The most specific one is a Branching Gorgonian that I have. He likes to nip at the polyps thinking maybe that they are food. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that Tangs can pick on corals from time to time.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2003 at 9:24am
The WMAS Fish Trap is the name I recently gave it because it seems to travel around the club being used to catch unruly animals! It actually belongs to my good friend Rick Bangerter who's tank I watch over while he is in Brazil for three years! He is a consistent contributor to the WMAS.

I hope that either Jared J. or Ryan F. have the trap right now, but I have not heard from either of them regarding it.

It is a six inch diameter acrylic cylinder with an acrylic back and front door. The door is held open by a length of fishing line. When the animal enters to eat the food inside, the door is dropped manually. And voila, the animal can be removed unharmed from the aquarium.
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2003 at 10:09am
Mark - I don't have it, although I need it. I had an emergency at work last meeting so I had to leave early before I could get it.

Edited by rfoote
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2003 at 3:10pm
I just called and Jared's wife says he has it but forgot to bring it to the meeting. He lives in Springville.
Is there anyone that could shuttle the trap from Springville or Orem to Salt Lake or Syracuse
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2003 at 3:41pm
If someone can get it to me in American Fork, I could get it to Bountiful (on any workday).
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2003 at 6:33pm

I can go down and get it later on friday evening.  I live in orem and could get it up to A.F. if needed.  Just give me a call.  3623483

Nate

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2003 at 9:10pm
Nate,  I'll be tied up at work until probably Saturday afternoon.  I'll call you, maybe we can set up a meeting.  (you got a tank you'd like to show ).

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2003 at 7:55am

Saturday afternoon would work great.  I have to take my wife to work at 5 pm so I'll be out there for a few minutes.  If you guys want tell me when and I'll go down and get that fish trap saturday.

Nate

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2003 at 8:23am
Jared didn't call back last night and I got busy and forgot to check with him. He probably isn't watching the forum either.
I will definitely work on it. He is on the membership list if you don't hear from me and feel like calling him to make arrangements.
Oh... Nate you're not on the list. Would you like to be?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2003 at 8:56am

Yeah, I would like to be and am working on that.  Don't worry, it's a coming attraction.  I have a couple of other things that need to be taken care of first, and have to let the wife know.  But I don't think it'll be too much longer.  You guys need to have some meetings on Fridays (there was already a thread on this) so that I don't have to skip school to go. 

Just let me know on how I can help.  I won't have access to a computer on saturday, so you'll have to call if you need to get a hold of me.

Diverdan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diverdan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2003 at 1:08pm
I just caught a peepermint the other night that I have been trying to catch for a while. Here is how I did it. At night they scavenge all over the tank and are rather unsuspecting. I set a net in the tank for a while and it got used to it. While it was picking at the sand in the front of the tank, I slowly moved the net over and caught it against the glass. It was amazingly easy.

By the way, mine have always been perfect inahabitants, just need to move him to the sumo to keep aitpasia under control.

Rich
75 Gallon Reef
15 Gallon Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2003 at 9:50pm
The polyps seem to be doing a little better however I would still like to use the trap to take one pepermint out and put him in the sump.
Rich. you still got that colt coral?

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2003 at 3:51pm
I have the trap. If you want me to drop it by when I'm out that way on Friday, please let me know.
(Since you're out of town, I'll leave it with Sean if I don't hear from you.)

Is there anyone else that will be needing the trap? Ryan?

Edited by Mark Peterson
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic