Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

120Gal lighting; MHs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 120Gal lighting; MHs?
    Posted: November 25 2005 at 11:19pm
I need some help to determine what I need to get a 120Gal tank lightin system going. I have been doing some research on the internet but I'm still confused on which lighting to go with. I want to have fish and soft corals so I think that MH would be overkill. A few people have told me to go with PC lighting but what is the advantage of PC's over T5's? Also is it a general rule of thumb or just an opinion that you should have about 8watts per gal? And my last question, how would I make it so that I give my water more of a blue look yet still give the life in the tank the full spectrum lighting? With actinics?

Edited by Lyscer
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2005 at 11:57pm
I dont have any personal experance with T5 lights. I know you would be fine with PC lights for softies. The question of course how much light. I have 13 watts of pc light per gallon on my 10 gallon and I am very happy with it. I was running half that a while ago and was still very sucessful with any soft corals I had in there. I think that the 8 watts per gallon you mention is a reasonable number.
As far as having the blue look to your tank I think that going with 50/50 10k and actinic should be close to what you want. Maybe add one extra actinc bulb. Hope that helps.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2005 at 1:51am
When it comes to lighting, doing research on the internet can often make a person more and more confused. The major reason that most of us have reef aquariums is because they look so beautiful. The type of light that one selects is mostly about looks. I believe that everyone here will agree that you must go see some tanks to know what lighting to get. I'm not working tomorrow, so feel free to call and drop by and take a look at my tanks and a few good looking reef aquariums nearby.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2005 at 3:46pm
Initial setups are usually cheaper for PC than for T5.  They however are not as enery-efficient (you will get more light for the same amount of electricity consumption with T5) and the bulbs don't last as long (12 months vs 24 months are the recommended time to change out PC vs T5)

PC are T5 that are bended upon themselves.  As a result they are more bulky and are hard to have good reflectors to direct all the lights down to the water without them hitting the bulb itself.  With T5, it's imperative that you have individual reflectors for each bulb to get good result.

Do I just confuse you even more?
If you can't bedazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bs!
Dinhkim Le - Procrastinator extra-ordinare
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 7:28am
Do yourself a favor and go with MH from the start. You will just spend more money in the long run replacing whatever you buy with them anyway. Use a 10K blueline bulb $ 69.99     each and you do not need to use any atnics. I had 3 250 watt MH running on my 120.  I am running 10K Bluelines now if you want to look at the color...
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 8:52am
So I think that you guys are starting to rub off on me and I will get some MHs. What are the advantages/disadvantages of going with the 400 watt balast as compared to the 250 watt balast. And I have no idea if my terminology is correct so please forgive me if thats wrong. Also where is the cheapest place that you guys have found to get your lights/fixtures from?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 9:53am

Originally posted by Lyscer Lyscer wrote:

So I think that you guys are starting to rub off on me and I will get some MHs.

...Also where is the cheapest place that you guys have found to get your lights/fixtures from?

Good decision for a tank that size.

The cheapest place is this website. I watched the MB and got my used dual 175 MH ballasts and bulbs from Pistonfister for $50. Bugzme gave me two sockets and jfinch helped me figure out the capacitor needed to replace the bad one. Extra cost for repair - $2

I had already built the hanging fixture, which you saw Saturday, with locally available mirrored aluminum ($16). I had planned to add MH when the time came. The total cost of two 175W MH and four 110W VHO for my 75 gal.  -- $185

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 10:23am
I use a place called captivereefs.com. They have been wonderful and the customer service is the best.  In two months I will be selling 2 250 watt ballast as I am going with all 400 watts. They will be 50.00 each if you can wait. Shane H has first dibs but after that..... I got the pendants for 100.00 each but they are for a tank with out a canopy. Im sure you can get them cheaper from captivereefs.. My bulbs are amazing in brightness and color..... I get them from championlighting.com for 69.00 each...
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 11:16am
with MH ballasts is there a big difference between the HQI and the other ones? Is all that I need a ballast, socket, bulb and reflector?
dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 11:28am

There are two kinds of MH: Single-ended and double-ended.  Double-ended 250w for the longest time was regarded as good as SE 400w.  Most recent testing though shows that this seemingly efficiency comes from the pendants itself since 250w DE pendants are designed very well.  DE 400w are new on the block with no established track records yet.  You can best utilize the single-ended bulbs by using well-designed reflectors.  All of the folks on reefcentral SPS forum are very smitten with the Lumenarc pendants.  They will cost you more than a hundred bucks a piece though.

400w bulbs consume more enerly and create more heat.  You of course get more lights and certain SPS will get brighter color with 400w.  However, the consensus is that with your tank height (24 inches I assume), 250w MH will do the job just fine. 

So, if money isn't a factor, I highly recommend 250w DE MH or SE MH with Lumenarc.  If money is a factor, you can always ask for Mark Peterson's help (just kidding Mark).  There are plenty of tanks in this board that has excellent results with 250w SE MHs and home-made reflectors.

dkle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 11:32am
HQI are synonymous for DE
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 7:35pm
Is there a particular brand on the ballasts that is better than others? 
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 8:45pm
With lighting is it best to get lights that illuminate from one side of the tank to the other(like one bulb on each side) or from one central location(In the middle)?

My tank dimensions are: 48"L x 24"H x 24"W

Imafishfreak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imafishfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2005 at 9:33pm

I would center one 250W. MH in each half of the tank. or in other words go 12" in from the sides of your tank. hope thats not to confusing.

I swear dear, I didnt buy any more corals, they just multiplied!

235g. acrylic reef tank
Danny
syracuse, Ut.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic