Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hospital Tank Suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jasob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hospital Tank Suggestions
    Posted: October 04 2005 at 12:34am

I'm considering setting up a hospital tank or maybe even using it as a quarantine tank for new fish if the "hospital" is not necessary.  I'm just curious what kind of setup I should do. 

I was thinking 10 gallons.  Should I use live sand? What kind of filter should I use?  And would a powerhead be necessary for such a small tank used for rehabiltating a sick fish? 

Also should I keep this tank stocked with a couple snails or any other type of cleanup crew, or should I even keep it running when I don't need it? As you may be able to tell I'm very new to the hobby.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  

Jason

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 7:03am
Jason, I set up up hospital tanks as neccessary. I'm not sure if you need to
have one set up continuously?

When I suspect a pathogen, I use a 10 gallon tank, no substrate (just a
few pieces of macro and a rock to hitch on!). I use 4 airlines to move the
water, no heater because low temps kept the pathogen from proliferating.
Usually the medicine loses it's efficiency after 24 hours so the water must
be changed anyway, so a filter is not neccessary. Usually the fish are not
eating if they are sick...

The meds will probably kill the clean up crew, plus there isn't much to
clean up!

I would set up a quarantine tank similarily.......Easier than trying to keep
a back up tank cycled...
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 8:06am
Ditto to Suzy. I use a eclipse 12 and use it bare with the exception of a plastic rock or pieces of plastic pipe depending on what is going to be in it. Remember that what ever you have in it (except the live stock being treated)  is never to enter your main tank. Expessually it you use copper.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
jeffras View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeffras Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 9:13am
I use a bare 10 gallon with an empty pot for shelter(it is a glazed clay pot, easy to clean). I have a heater so I can control the temp depending on what i'm treating. I add a skilter if i'm using it for quarentine(1-2 months).

Don't add anything alive. The reason you set up a hospital tank is so that you can safely medicate without killing inverts and corals. I don't add anything that is not easily cleaned.

This is one of the most important steps in adding/treating livestock that many people bypass. Make it a habit and save yourself a huge headache down the road. It's cheap and more then worth it if you run into any diseases.

Jeff
Jeff Rasmussen

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2005 at 10:59pm

It can be useful or it could be a waste of time and trouble too. I've tried it and sometimes lost the fish when they experienced a move from one tank to another, to another... and the resulting stress resulted in their demise.

IMO, the use of a quarantine/hospital tank is no different than placing the fish directly into a healthy reef aquarium and feeding garlic oil in their meaty foods for ~5 days. Learning what it takes and working to provide a healthy environment in the main aquarium, IMO, is the most important thing to focus on.

Importantly, if the LFS has the ability to place newly acquired fish in medicated water for a few days to a week, to kill parasites and gram negative bacteria, with copper and nitroferizone then the fish is already ahead of the game.

That said, recently I have found good success with newly purchased herbivorous fish by placing them in my "algae tank". This is the tank that also currently houses about 20 remaining baby Tomato Clownfishes that I sell for David Tea. It has a 2" bed of Oolitic LS, LR rubble and a few larger pieces of LR. It has a cleanup crew. It has a thick gowth of several types of macroalgae which the algae eating fish chomp on till they regain some meat on their bones. It has critters, amphipods and copepods, running around on the sand, in the algae and in the rubble.

Personally, I have found garlic oil, properly dosed in thawed meaty foods, to be almost a miracle for preventing the fish illnesses that once plagued every hobbyist.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic