Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aiptasia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kmtfishchannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aiptasia
    Posted: March 17 2018 at 12:55pm
I have a starting issue with Aiptasia. I have used Aiptasia-X multiple times. and the same ones seem to be coming back. What do you recommend as a natural way to remove them? I have heard about a Peppermint Shrimp but will my Red Fire ship kill it? What do you recommend? Thanks!
nwreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nwreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 12:35pm
I am in the same boat. I have two that keep reoccurring. Aptasia X seems to make them go away for a few days to a week, then they come back. Its to the point they can tell that what I am giving them is not food and they pull back and hide as soon as I start dosing it to them. I have 2 peppermint shrimp and they do nothing one of the shrimps likes to hang out on the underside of the rock the Aptasia is attached to even. So while they are not spreading, I would like them gone. One lives in with some zoos and stings them pretty good.
Chad A.
20g nano in progres
Member~ A.A.A. ( Aquarium Addicts Anonomous)
redleader View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redleader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2018 at 1:09pm
I have had great success with file fish eating them.

There are all nudi’s that eat them. I’ve tried that as well but didn’t have success. I didn’t have enough of them I think

As with anything you try there are pros and cons. The file fish will eat any anemones. And possibly other coral.

How easy would it be to remove the rock?
Everything in life is possible. You just have to dream big, and act bigger.

150 G Reef
kmtfishchannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 4:40pm
Mine are over some rock (not easily removed) and others are in the sand bed.
Zack801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zack801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2018 at 9:43pm
Filefish are great until they start eating coral
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 6:49am
Make a little Kalk paste and inject directly into the aiptasia. High pH will kill them off quickly. Keep a couple peppermint shrimp to help keep under control.
beege29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beege29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 11:16am
I've had them several times and tried everyrhing mentioned above...The only thing that has ever worked for me is peppermint shrimp. good luck
90 gallon mixed reef
30 gallon sump
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 22 2018 at 5:24pm
I'm a believer in aptaisia eating nudi's. I had a 45 gallon frag tank that got over run with aptaisa. We put in 4 or 5 of them that we ordered online and then nothing happened. I thought they had all died, but then several weeks later, we noticed that it seemed like there were fewer aptaisa. After a month that was for sure less aptaisa, another month and the aptaisa we all gone and then we started to see the nudi's in the tank as they crawled around looking for more. It worked great.

Down side is the little buggers are pricey and it does take some time for them eat them all.

Edited by Hogie - March 22 2018 at 5:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic