Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red Sea Reefer XL 525

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kmtfishchannel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmtfishchannel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Sea Reefer XL 525
    Posted: June 12 2017 at 12:02pm
Does anyone in the Utah County Area (Payson though American Fork Area) have a Red Sea Reefer XL 525 tank that is up and running and are willing to let me and maybe a freind come take a look at it? I'm wanting this someday to be my next build I would love to see how you have it set up and running. Thanks!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 2:09pm
Several days and no replies. Cry
Okay, here's my 2 cents:
IMO, after all is said and done, it's nothing to do with equipment. What really makes the difference is how well the tank is set up and cared for by the hobbyist . This is not an easy hobby. To be successful, a hobbyist needs to learn about the biology of the animals and algae and the chemistry of the water. With this knowledge in hand, the hobbyist can provide for the tanks needs so all the organisms, from bacteria to bugs and from coral to fish, can grow and flourish.

There are many companies that have gotten on the bandwagon to produce All-In-One tanks. They are pretty looking and may seem to be simple and trouble-free, but that is clear marketing hyperbole. They require pretty much the same amount of work/maintenance as an ordinary box of water, the traditional aquarium. Additionally, the multiple internal powerheads running in the back sections add excessive heat to the water.

I recently tried to talk a friend out of a Red Sea tank. He could not resist the marketing hype and bought a used one anyway. Set up seemed simple but within a week he saw that the tank was overheated. He had to hook up the Chiller that the previous owner had added to cool the water. Chillers require open space, add great expense and reduce flow, all negatives.

I have set up dozens of sumpless reef tanks using traditional stand-alone glass aquariums as well as AOI tanks. I have also set up and maintained hundreds of aquariums with Sump/Refugiums. Consider the economy and advantages of the traditional tank of any size, large or small, that uses a sump/Refugium. Tanks that are drilled with overflows or the simple boxes of water with add-on external overflows both offer multiple advantages over the AIO tanks. A few of those advantages are:
- increased control,
- easier long term maintenance,
- less need for external cooling and best of all,
- better growth. 
These four general advantages include multiples of sub-advantages that can be described and discussed here if anyone cares to. Smile

Of course this is my opinion. I have done no scientific studies but, since my first reef aquarium in 1993 and founding this club in 1995, I have pretty much seen them all.

Aloha,
Mark  Hug
808-345-1049
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 4:34pm
BTW, my friend and I have made that Red Sea tank work for him, so please don't get the idea that I'm saying the tank you are thinking about is no good.
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 4:39pm
The new Red Sea tanks are fantastic.  I would not hesitate to purchase one.  I am setting up an S-series tank for a client in Orem on Friday.  Pm me and we can discuss if you would like to check this tank out once its setup.  There are quite a few similarities between the reefer series and new S-Series tanks.

Edited by bur01014 - June 14 2017 at 4:40pm
Marcoss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2017 at 4:50pm
I have a Max S400 and love it. Granted it's not what you are after but I highly endorse this brand. It's by far my favorite tank. :)
RedSea Max S400 - 90G Rimless Frag Tanks x2 - 185 Lookdown Bin
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2017 at 2:17pm
So I have been advised that these new large Red Sea tanks employ sump/Refugiums and don't have the problems of the older tanks. That's good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic