Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank Cycle Numbers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank Cycle Numbers
    Posted: December 22 2014 at 9:59am
Thought I would start a thread on the chemistry of my tank cycle. Filled 45 gallon shallow tank (36X24X12) and 20 gallon sump with RO water with Oceanic salt on 20 Dec. Sump has small skimmer (off) in drain chamber, then small filter media chamber (has poly in it now), then Refugium (2" LS and Cured LR), and then return. DT has 1 1/2 sand, and started with about 20 pounds cured LR. Then on the 21st Dec I added 60 pounds of cured LR. I also added some flake fish food on 21 Dec.

Anyone know how to post better pictures from Excel than using snip tool?

Glenn

Edited by relethg - December 22 2014 at 11:26am
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 10:46am
The snip tool is the best way I know of. In Excel you may want to use the slider in the bottom right corner to increase the size of the table before you snip it though.

relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 11:22am
Thanks Mike that worked a little better.
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 11:28am
Are those Mag numbers accurate? I'm not sure what could possibly have used up 1040 Mag in one day or how a 1% water change could have added 2040 Mag back into the system. That part seams a bit strange to me. The rest looks to be in line for 3 days in. Krazie
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 11:37am
Originally posted by Krazie4Acans Krazie4Acans wrote:

Are those Mag numbers accurate? I'm not sure what could possibly have used up 1040 Mag in one day or how a 1% water change could have added 2040 Mag back into the system. That part seams a bit strange to me. The rest looks to be in line for 3 days in. Krazie
Krazie,
Not sure what is up with the Mag numbers. It could be me. I am using the red sea pro kit for all test and the dates are good. One of the reasons I am doing this exercise is to get comfortable with testing and be confident in the results. 
Could the 60 Lbs cured LR I added the night before do it or stirring the sand? I have had my hands in the tank allot messing with aquascape.

Glenn

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 11:51am
Do you have your lights for the tank on and setup? Mag is generally only affected by organisms (read that corals or coraline) using it up. I really doubt that there is anything in there using it up in thst amount yet. Did you mix the salt water and then pour it into the tank or fill with RO/DI and then add salt to the sump? Mixing in the tank will cause some weird numbers and may cause your salinity to creep up for the next few days. Krazie
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 11:58am
I only have a HD light on the tank right now, on DT in daytime and in sump at night. I mixed the RO and Salt then poured into tank. Started that on 18 Dec and finished and tested on 19 Dec.
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 12:11pm
Sounds to me like I might start pointing the finger at the test kit or the operator. The Red Sea mag kit works good for me but you do have to be very precise with it. I generally do that test first before my patience for counting drops and swirling has already reached it's limit. lol Krazie
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2014 at 12:22pm
Guessing operator error. I will keep testing and see what happens in the weeks ahead.
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 7:09am
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 7:11am
Today's update.

Took my time with Mg testing today, but still don't have any confidence in the number. Not worried about it at this point. To me it seems like things are going as they should. I think the numbers reflect the fish food I put in two days ago. I added Calurpa to the refugium last night thanks to reefer4ever.

Edited by relethg - December 23 2014 at 7:19am
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 7:39am
Keep taking your time with the Mag test. Remember that an exact number at this stage is not as important as being able to repeat a pattern. Your Mag is well within range so I wouldn't worry about it yet.

Keep feeding something to the tank until you see that the Ammonia level is able to stay at zero even with a bio load (uneaten food). Keep in mind that fish food generally has Nitrates in it already so if the food is not consumed you will get a double dose of nitrates. I'm guessing that might be why you have added the macro already? Are you going to add phosphates to your testing as well?

BTW, what spreadsheet are you using to track this? Do you mind sharing it? Krazie
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 7:52am
I really want to blend half a shrimp and put it in the tank. I was also thinking about doing a 10% water change but think I will wait. 
Yes I added the grass to see if it could work on the Nitrates, I know it is a little early.
Here is the link for the spreadsheet, I found it on Reef Central.

210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 8:12am
I'm not sure I would blend the shrimp. I just put it in a mesh bag and put it in the tank. That way I can remove the nasty part later.

No water changes, carbon or skimming until the cycle settles. Once your ammonia stays zero, even with a bio load, then you can start adding filtration. Remember that we are trying to get the system to be able to handle a load without the toxic chemicals (ammonia and Nitrite) getting high enough to harm our fish or corals. So the more load we put on the system (within reason) up front the more robust the setup later on. Also keep in mind that once you cycle it you don't want to leave it with no load as the bacteria that you just worked to build up will die back if there is no food for them.

You probably already know this but I thought I'd add it just in case.

Thanks for the link. I'll take a look at the spreadsheet.

Phosphate tests later or are you not going to test for them? Krazie
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 8:23am
I will add Phosphate,  Strontium and Iodine to my testing later. I am running the skimmer but at a level that it wont make any skimmate but is helping with gas exchange. 
On the water change, I know there are two camps on this. One that says no way and another that says it helps with the cycle. If Nitrates stay this high I will do water changes to get it down, this is why I added the grass. I don't want huge algae blooms. What is your reasoning on the no water changes?
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 8:34am
Just that the water change is not only going to remove Nitrates, it's going to lower your Ammonia and Nitrite levels as well. So the bacteria will be in their growth and expanding mode and then you take away a portion of their food. This MAY reduce the peak number of bacteria in the system generated by the cycle. I prefer your idea of macro to reduce the level during the cycle and then a large water change after the cycle is complete and just before the algae phase starts to restrict it's growth. That's just what has worked well for me. You already know there are a thousand different ways to cycle a tank. Krazie
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 8:55am
Yep, many ways to skin a cat. I would like the macro to take care of the nitrates and don't plan on doing water change with ammonia or nitrites above zero. I would not want to remove the food for the bacteria. Once the ammonia and nitrites come down if the macro is not lowering the nitrate level it will be a water change (10%). I also come from the camp that believes the water column contains a very small percentage of the bacteria in the system. I may need to go see Mark about some more macro. Thanks for the conversation, one of the reasons I like this hobby. Playing with aquascape while the tank cycles, keeps my mind off livestock.

Glenn
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 9:16am
Im thrown off by some of your test numbers, if your chart says 0.2ppm of ammonia your going to want to bump that up to 2 or 3ppm (not a % of a ppm) to get started on your cycle. I personally would not be testing alk, calcium, mag, nitrates 4 days in unless you are just wanting experience with testing. Do not blend up a shrimp, go with crazys recommendation.

Edited by Bryce - December 23 2014 at 9:17am
65g Reef
relethg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relethg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 9:41am
Hi Bryce, 
Chart is correct at .2, that is the reason I want to put the shrimp in. Testing for the experience and to track all the changes in the tank. I find it interesting.
Where do you thing the nitrate of 10 came from?

Glenn
210 G Filled 18 Mar 15
120 G Filled 11 Jun 16
Bryce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bryce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2014 at 9:47am
Well nitrates of 10 are no concern at all, in fact at the end of my cycle they were so high the test was beyond what test chart could measure but that was 3 to 4 weeks in. You need to get to where the tank can get ammonia of 2 to 3ppm along with nitrites down to zero in 24 hours, then worry about the nitrates.
65g Reef
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic