Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cleaner coral banded?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleaner coral banded?
    Posted: July 10 2003 at 5:42am
 I am watching my tank the other day and my yellow tang swims down by the coral banded shrimp and tries to get a bath. The coral banded kind of picks at him doesnt seem to hurt him and the fish swims away.  Do you think my coral banded is going to try and eat the tang by tricking him?  Coral banded shrimp dont clean fish right? Just thought this was kind of interesting.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2003 at 9:08pm
 Well the tang is still ok so I am just going to keep an eye on things. I would still like to add a real cleaner shrimp to the tank.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2003 at 8:59am

Ok so I read in a book that coral banded shrimp are also known as cleaner shrimp. The book states that they mey however eat smaller fish. Interesting perhaps the coral banded is a good guy.

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2003 at 10:06am
I wouldn't trust a coral banded to clean my fish, but that's just me.  I haven't had good luck with them.  I had one that kept picking on everything in my reef so I tried to feed it ro my octopus.  He wouldn't eat it so my triggers ripped it apart. Expensive meal.  Oh well.....
imaexpat2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imaexpat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2003 at 9:02pm
Yeah I had the same problem with mine when I first put it in my tank.  He was quiet the terror. Then I added a Jewel Moray Eel...and now he keeps a low profile, and acts a little more socially acceptable.  I havent lost a Damsel since either!
300 gal. Frag System
300 gal. Live Rock Vat
240 gal. SPS/Clam Reef Tank
135 gal. SPS/Clam Reef Tank
75 gal. Softies only Tank
65 gal. LPS/Softies
24 gal. SPS/Softies Nano Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2003 at 10:06pm
Well the coral banded still hasent killed anything but hides allot more now that I added a Naso Tang.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2003 at 12:30am
Throw that book away!
Seriously though, what book was it?
Though from time to time a CBS may find some food to pick off a fish, they are definitely not known as Cleaner Shrimp! I'm pretty sure they would rather eat the whole fish if given the chance due to sickness or death.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2003 at 6:56am
We had one a few years back that ate my pop pom zenia.Right down to it's base! It grew back, after that shrimp got a one-way ride to Pet Planet!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic