Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

stocking ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stocking ?
    Posted: February 08 2014 at 4:40pm
I have a 55. I now have 1 tailspot blenny, a shark nose goby, royal gramma, purple fire fish and a neon dotty back. I have a pair of clowns I'll add in last. My ? is is this to many fish? I've heard no and yes. Opinions?
recent absurdity..Unicorns have rabies
bmac2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmac2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2014 at 4:44pm
7 fish in a 55 is fine.  What you need to ask yourself is how big do the fish you got get?  ballpark rule of thumb that everyone throws out is 1 inch of fish per gallon.  And most of your fish stay small.  When you put tangs, triggers, huge rabbitfish, then you have to worry.  A bunch of small gobies and wrasses no worries.
Aquarium Creations 300 gallon tank
Stand by Dion
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2014 at 4:56pm
I wanted more small sized fish in there. No tangs etc. The clowns are the last to add. But at the end of april I might want to add a mandarine dragonette. I'm not sure though.
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2014 at 5:26pm
Stocking a tank is more complicated that x number of fish per gallon. Two things to consider: does the fish have a place it can claim as its own? Can your filtration handle the bio load ?

Depending on how you have set up the tank rock work and corals will have a great impact on whether your fish get along or not. Also individual fish characteristics can very from specimen to specimen. The size of the fish and its activity level also play a part in the stocking decision.

Most would call my fish list wrong or overstocked or incompatible. I have seen other examples of heavily stocked tanks on line that work.    On paper my tank looks like I am crazy. In person you can see just how well it works and how beautiful it can be.
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 3:42am
+1 to DMower. 1" per gallon may be a good starting point but filtration and size of the tank versus the fish size is always a consideration , swim room etc. I have 3 male fairy flashers wrasse with a kole , copperband ,  fire fish , bi color pseudo, and a red tail tamarin with only a few aggression issues if one gets too bold and strays where he isn't welcome. Another thing to consider is will you need an algae eater at some point such as a tang? Will be adding anothe tang to eat some algae my kole won't and im in a 78g.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 8:08am
I have a successful clean up crew right now. My sump is a 20 long. I have a skimmer from Seamonkey that he had on his 90. I also have a refug with a 3 in sand bed loads of rubble and chaeto w/ calurpa. my return pump does 1800gph and two koralias in main display. In my main display I have a 3 in sand bed and 60bls of LR. I believe all fish have their own places to sleep though my dottyback hasn't settled in one place to call its own. I also have 2 pieces of LR in other tanks to put in so that'd be another 7 lbs. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 9:53am
I believe you could double that amount of fish but I would be careful to watch out for overloading with carnivores and finding your tank continually on the verge of nuisance algae problems. Tangs that in the wild can grow large when purchased small will stay relatively small and will be very helpful in controlling nuisance algae. In a 55 gal I have a Convict Tang that has remained at about 3.5" since it was introduced 8 months ago. In a 40 gal connected to my 150 gal system, I have a 3" Auzzie Sailfin that isn't increasing in size either. Both Tangs are very fat and happy picking at algae all day long.

In a tank like you are proposing, a patch of decorative Caulerpa would be extremely helpful. It would provide protection for a bug population that would help feed those carnivorous fish, would help prevent nuisance algae blooms and would help stabilize the environment. Come on over to get some decorative Caulerpa and awesome red Macroalgae.

Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text/visit anytime
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2014 at 8:30pm
I do have a patch of calurpa that I'm growing on a shelf right now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic