Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Blue Tang Gone Missing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power Blue Tang Gone Missing
    Posted: December 13 2013 at 9:33pm
We had a lovely power blue tang for about two weeks. Active and eating, playing with the yellow tang. He was kind of the hit of the tank. I went out of state on business and the kids called saying that he was no where to be found. They checked in, under and around the rocks, in the overflows and sumps and nothing. His tank mates are smaller than he was, no weird killer fish or stars in the tank. I looked in the filter socks and he's just gone.

Any ideas on what I could have done wrong. Mag was at 1500, ca at 420, alk normal. Just did a 10% water change with instant ocean, matched the SG very closely and heated it to the correct temperature. There were no flocks of inverts ravaging the carcus, so I'm stumped.

Fat
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2013 at 9:36pm
Powder blues can be somewhat difficult to keep.  Sorry to hear.  Probably nothing you did. 
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 2:40am
did you check the floor? :(
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 3:38am
Yes, he's gone.
phys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 8:23pm
Dang. That sucks
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2013 at 9:36pm
Did you check inside the overflow?

I had a Yellow tang that ended up in there once; and someone here (Linn, maybe?) had a Hippo go missing for like 6 months before he found it in his overflow...

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Ann_A View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ann_A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 1:39pm
Sorry to hear about this! But you never know if he'll turn back up.

I agree it probably wasn't anything you did. Powder blues are definitely difficult fish but if you can get one to live they're practically indestructible (in my experience). I lost my first two to ich and was about ready to give up if my third one didn't make it. Now I swear I couldn't kill him if I tried.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2013 at 5:32pm
Looking at the bright side, at least you know that your system is fully operational as the wild reef, with an efficient clean-up crew of hermits, bristleworms, bugs, etc. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic