Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DI Resin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DI Resin
    Posted: December 05 2013 at 9:54am
How often are you guys changing your DI resin filters and how often do you flush your system?  I have a 6 stage from BRS and it takes me about 5 weeks to go through both cartridges.  I do flush the membrane 1 time a week - 

Just curious as to how much you guys are going through.  
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 10:08am
I am making it about 2 to 2.5 months on a cartridge. 
220g , large elite aquatics sump. 3 Radion Pro Gen 3 lights 3 Mp 40's

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 10:14am
Originally posted by lskurys lskurys wrote:

I am making it about 2 to 2.5 months on a cartridge. 

Do you know how many gallons you make per day? Mine just seems high. Granted, I probably have close to twice the water volume, but I'm still burning through it 4Xs as fast as you are...
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 10:16am
My tank is going through about 3 gallons a day and I will do about 60 gallons for water changes each month.  

Edited by lskurys - December 05 2013 at 10:17am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 10:18am
Originally posted by lskurys lskurys wrote:

My tank is going through about 3 gallons a day and I will do about 60 gallons for water changes each month.  

Wow. I do 3 gallons a day and I have some else make water for me and bring it every week...
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 10:25am
Really you should have your tap water tested.  I know it Roy my tds is about 400 before filtering.  In the winter I seem to go through more prefilters for some reason.  With my 5 stage I am around 10-30 tds before it hits my Resin.  

Edited by lskurys - December 05 2013 at 10:26am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 10:26am
My meter says 190 before it hits the unit. I don't know how to tell before it hits the resin...
lskurys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lskurys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 10:28am
just hook up it up before it goes in to your resin.  This will let you know how hard your resin needs to work.  the higher the number the faster you will burn your resin.
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 10:51am
I went 14 months on my first set of filters from SpectraPure. I changed them when the TDS got to 4 out of the DI.

Won't get that now, we hooked the ice maker to the RO unit and we use a LOT of ice. Thing runs all the time. Since the ice maker only get RO water, I expect to change those often, but the DI resin should last me a year.

Fat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 11:08am
I'm burning 2 cartridges every 4-5 weeks... Doesn't seem right. 3 gallons a day and I'm not even using it for water changes. Just hooked up my meter before the di resin and it's 22. I wonder if I have it hooked up wrong or something.
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 11:26am
Sounds like you have a bad membrane. I use a BRS in line dual TDS meter and it reads 6-7 TDS out of the membrane and 0 out of my DI. DI last about 6 months and I replace as soon as I get any TDS.

What is your TDS reading out of the Membrane?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 11:27am
Yeah, I'll look at it.  It's a fairly new system though.  I have an extra membrane.  Maybe I'll change it today. 
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 11:37am
I change my DI resin about every 4 months, but I use a ton of water...and our tap water is terrible. Plus, I recharge my DI resin, so the life is a couple weeks shorter than new resin.

I would test your TDS into and out of every stage. Do you have a pressure gauge inline? If so, change your sediment filter whenever the pressure changes...that'll help save the life of the filters downstream that are more expensive.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 11:42am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

I change my DI resin about every 4 months, but I use a ton of water...and our tap water is terrible. Plus, I recharge my DI resin, so the life is a couple weeks shorter than new resin.

I would test your TDS into and out of every stage. Do you have a pressure gauge inline? If so, change your sediment filter whenever the pressure changes...that'll help save the life of the filters downstream that are more expensive.

I haven't been paying much attention to the pressure gauge. I'll take note of what it is.  Maybe I should just go through and change all the filters, I have them sitting here at my house anyway.  The RODI system has only been running for about 30 days on my 120 and 60 days on this new tank.  
08TRDOFFROAD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 12:09pm
I am going on about 8 months on my spectra pure max cap di cartridges. Still getting 0 TDS out the resin.

My water is horrible out here. TDS going into the unit is near 700 last time I tested. 8-10 TDS going into the resin.

Edited by 08TRDOFFROAD - December 05 2013 at 12:10pm
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 12:52pm
700 is above the EPA limit for city waterif I remember correctly.
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Fatman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 1:37pm
Do I see a theme here? SpectraPure filters?
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 05 2013 at 1:40pm
Aaron I am running the same unit as you. My TDS in is 278-280. Out of the membrane is 6-10 and out of my single stage DI is 0. I only use about 20 gallons per week and I am going on almost 12 months with only changing the sediment cartridge once. Yours should be doing almost the same thing.

It sounds like your back pressure shutoff isn't working and even though your float is stopping the flow to your tank there is still water running through your membrane and forcing it all down the drain. That shouldn't effect your DI though unless your unit is hooked up wrong. Are you going only by the color of the DI or by the TDS shown on your meter? Mine changes color quite a while before I measure any TDS on the output.
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
08TRDOFFROAD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2013 at 10:11am
Originally posted by ReefdUp ReefdUp wrote:

700 is above the EPA limit for city waterif I remember correctly.

According to the city water report we get annually, 1000 TDS is the cut off. If the water supply has a TDS of 1000 or more, the city has to prove that no access to better water exists. Herriman's water is ridiculously hard as well. 7-8 grains is considered hard, ours tested at 28 grains.
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2013 at 8:04am
Ahh, I just looked it up. The EPA secondary drinking water regulations is 500...meaning it's unenforceable. Wow...1000...that's hard to swallow (ha...haha......)
www.reefdup.com
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic