Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A Nice Reef Tank, Quickly - The BobsReef Method
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A Nice Reef Tank, Quickly - The BobsReef Method

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
aceofspadeskb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aceofspadeskb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 8:31am
On the topic of flow, which is better? A standing wave or a more random pattern? ("W1" or "else" for us Jebao users).
ReefOn View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefOn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 8:52am
Awesome write up bob, I especially agree that planning is the key to success.

We have done a few systems that wanted "instant gratification". However these systems were planned out at least a month in advance. So when the time came to install the new glass box and deliver the water, it only took a few days for the system to settle down. I will attach some pictures of a tank we did this summer that was filled with corals and a full fish load three days after setting up.

Edited by ReefOn - September 25 2013 at 8:54am

ReefOn

7563 S Main St (700W)

Midvale, Uta
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 9:13am
Originally posted by aceofspadeskb aceofspadeskb wrote:

On the topic of flow, which is better? A standing wave or a more random pattern? ("W1" or "else" for us Jebao users).

I have been told that SPS corals, in particular, prefer a very random flow.  I've seen a couple of tanks full of SPS corals that use this method and their corals look amazing.  There may be other tanks, however, that use a very consistent flow pattern with equally amazing looking corals!
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 10:11am
Personally, I prefer the wave pattern over the 'else' for the following reasons:

- no dead spots

- more 'natural' in terms of the type of water movement you'd see on a real reef

- 100% of the water surface is always moving; no 'oil slicks' on top

- In wave mode I don't have any corals that are physically close to the pump getting 'blasted' by the current

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Molli Molli wrote:

Well I will fail at step 1 since I don't plan to use live rock for my cube -- I am having a ceramic rock sculpture custom made for the tank. I will seed with a piece of live rock from my other tank, but I guess I will just need to play the waiting game on this tank and not hurry it, which is OK with me. I'll continue to read this tread though as I'm sure you have a lot of good info to share :)

Did you end up going with Vida Rock? 
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2013 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by love2skiutah love2skiutah wrote:

Originally posted by Molli Molli wrote:

Well I will fail at step 1 since I don't plan to use live rock for my cube -- I am having a ceramic rock sculpture custom made for the tank. I will seed with a piece of live rock from my other tank, but I guess I will just need to play the waiting game on this tank and not hurry it, which is OK with me. I'll continue to read this tread though as I'm sure you have a lot of good info to share :)

Did you end up going with Vida Rock? 

Yes I did.  They are making it right now!  I'm excited !!! Tongue
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 11:32am
Sidebar for a couple of things:

-  The term 'random flow' can be a little confusing. What it refers to is that the flow pattern in your system should not be all one - directional, all the time... traditionally, we have solved this by placing multiple powerheads in differnent places in the tank to create different currents of water, which then crash together and combine to keep the water from being stagnant. With a true wavemaker / wave pattern, the water (waves) flow in one direction - but then return (ebb) back in the opposite direction... so you still achieve the idea of 'random' non - unidirectional water flow. And don't confuse 'random flow' with a 'random' flow setting (like the 'else' setting on the Jebao); a random flow setting means the amount of current will vary randomly - as the motor slows down & speeds up - but the current still originates from the same place and in the same direction...

- Vida Rock is awesome because you can (as Molli has said) get custom shapes and sizes made to order. The one disasdvantage is that it is dry, sterile rock - and that will mean a long cycle time for the tank. If you are up for the wait, go for it!

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 12:42pm
OK, back to picking out the right equipment:

C) Choosing the Right Skimmer

A good protein skimmer is the heart of your water quality maintenance system. IMO it is a must for any reef tank that looks to support any kind of realistic fish load.

The biggest problem with choosing a skimmer today is people choose a skimmer that is too small / too inefficient for their size sytem and bioload... again, because they are trying to save $$$.

2nd biggest problem? People who think "OK, I'll spend the cash... and bigger is always better, right..?" so they go out and get a skimmer that is TOO big - and that won't function effectively, either

You need to find the appropriate middle ground, and "right - size" your skimmer!

Fortunately for us, nowadays it is not hard to find a decent skimmer at a fairly decent price. So, where does one start?

Here are some tips to help you choose the right skimmer for your set up:

- Measure your designated sump chamber first, to see how big you can go (if needed)... doesn't help to get a huge skimmer if it can't even fit in the sump Embarrassed so measure first

- A skimmer pump with a high airflow (measured in scfh, "standard cubic feet per hour" or scfm, "...per minute") is more important than a pump with a high water flow (measured in gph, "gallons per hour") as it is more important to mix a high volume of air into the water inside the skimmer than it is to push alot of water out of the skimmer

- When comparing 2 skimmers of similar overall size, the skimmer with the wider diameter 'neck' (where the collection cup attaches) is probably the better skimmer... a bigger neck means more air mixture foam being created inside the chamber (which is a good thing)

- When comparing 2 skimmers of similar overall size, the skimmer with the larger diameter airline going to the pump is probably the better skimmer... a larger airline also means more air mixture inside the chamber (which we already said is a good thing)

- A 'cone' shaped skimmer is a better choice - generally - than a 'cylinder' shaped skimmer. The cone shape means less back pressure on the pump and that means a smaller (wattage) pump to do the same job

- If possible, ask to see the skimmer run (or another of the same model, if you are at a LFS). You want to make sure the pump is not too loud, nor is the water exiting the skimmer too splashy and loud

- Buying used is a fine option here. Just make sure that your 'great deal' is also the right skimmer for your application... and not just a 'great deal'.

And, of course, ask to see it run first. As an FYI, a skimmer will not produce fine bubbles or skimmate in tap water / fresh water. So if you are buying a used skimmer, and the seller puts it in the sink or bathtub to show you it works, that's perfectly OK - you just won't see the normal "bubble action" you would see on a saltwater reef tank

Edited by BobC63 - September 27 2013 at 5:06pm

suiso man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suiso man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2013 at 2:29pm
Bob this is good information. I agree on the skimmer and water circulation it makes a world of difference. I just replaced my korillias with jebao wp40s and wow everything is happy in my tank. I replaced my skimmer with a Billy's reef octopus and that has made quite a difference in the water clarity I am really happy with my setup now all I have to do is replace my sump.

For those who have seen my tank I think it looks nice

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 8:40am
I love this thread Thumbs Up and would like to add my opinion about aquascaping.

Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

Vida Rock is awesome because you can (as Molli has said) get custom shapes and sizes made to order. The #1 disadvantage is that it is dry, sterile rock - and that will mean a long cycle time for the tank. If you are up for the wait, go for it!
There are two more disadvantages, to me anyway:
#2 - The surface is relatively smooth. The pattern of random size and shape holes, dents, cracks and bumps is missing. Vida Rock does not look like LR; and
#3 - The algae that coats its surface is dark. Vida Rock does not easily attract a growth of beautiful pink and purple coralline algae.

Note: Further to what Molli mentioned, there is a simple way to somewhat overcome the disadvantages. Temporarily add or permanently use a lot of, and different sizes of, good quality "full of life" LR from an established reef tank. Leave it for 2-6 months with some pieces left permanently, allowing bacteria, bugs worms and sponge to populate the Vida Rock. It can be placed in back of the Vida Rock, down in the tank corners, in any spaces on the Vida Rock, and in the RDP Refugium.

Of course the disadvantages are only my personal opinion, but are the reason why I prefer cultured Live Utah Rock, LR from an established tank, and wild collected, uncured LR (I dislike the sterile, denuded, white LR from a LFS - yuck).

Aquascaping
It's worth pointing out that there is definitely an art to aquascaping. The skill takes time to develop but is worth it. Not to toot my own horn but as an example of how the skill develops over time through the experiences of trial and error, my wife tells me how impressed she is with my artistic and functional rock structures that typically don't use glue, zip ties or acrylic rods. (Yes, I pay her to say that. Wink)

Aloha,
Mark Hug

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 28 2013 at 9:01am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

I love this thread Thumbs Up and would like to add my opinion about aquascaping.

Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

Vida Rock is awesome because you can (as Molli has said) get custom shapes and sizes made to order. The #1 disadvantage is that it is dry, sterile rock - and that will mean a long cycle time for the tank. If you are up for the wait, go for it!
There are two more disadvantages, to me anyway:
#2 - The surface is relatively smooth. The pattern of random size and shape holes, dents, cracks and bumps is missing. Vida Rock does not look like LR; and
#3 - The algae that coats its surface is dark. Vida Rock does not easily attract a growth of beautiful pink and purple coralline algae.

You very clearly haven't seen much vida rock lately in tanks cause you couldn't be more wrong about both #2 and #3.
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 11:28am
I had a 100% vida rock tank a little over a year ago.....all of it eventually turned black after being covered in coralline due to its nature for absorbing nutrients, in addition, the stuff leeched silicates for over a year and I ended up shutting that tank down due to all the strange algae issues.....I think I gave all my vida away for free to someone on the forums, I wouldn't touch the stuff, but that's just my experience.....
Molli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Molli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 11:51am
Originally posted by bur01014 bur01014 wrote:

I had a 100% vida rock tank a little over a year ago.....all of it eventually turned black after being covered in coralline due to its nature for absorbing nutrients, in addition, the stuff leeched silicates for over a year and I ended up shutting that tank down due to all the strange algae issues.....I think I gave all my vida away for free to someone on the forums, I wouldn't touch the stuff, but that's just my experience.....

How long did it take the rock to get covered in coralline? I have been experiencing a similar problem with using dry marco rock in my 65 gallon tank, which I started up exactly a year ago, though I haven't had any problem with the rock turning black. My problem was strange algae issues. I did a lot of research on line and found some people complaining that marco rock leached phosphates; while others claimed no it did not. So ... I did an experiment by putting some dry marco rock that I hadn't yet used in a buck of salt water with a circ pump and heater and tested for awhile - no phosphate problems. I discovered that I was to blame for my algae problem -- I wasn't properly using my RO/DI water filtration and that was the source of my problem. Do you know if the people you gave the rock to have had problems with it. Oh and by the way, my tank is completely cleared of its algae problem now .. took for about 2-3 months to get it completely cleared up.

bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 1:43pm
8 months to get coralline going on the vida for me, but the stuff acts like a sponge, becoming saturated with nutrients, not sure who ended up getting the rock from me.....the aquarium also had a white Red Sea max on display they used vida for and had a similar experience as me, maybe the newer vida is different? In the end they too also replaced all the rock with figi before selling the tank several months later to someone here on the forums.....good luck with it, maybe your experience will be different, regardless, I'd cure it for a while and check for silicates....I've dealt with all types of algae, but have never seen the white fuzz algae I experienced that thrived in a ulns environment....RC experts also couldn't ID it....

Sorry bob, I'm done, let's get thread back on track, look forward to more updates

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 8:01pm
These 3 towers are made from Ceramic Rock.  Ching was the one who kind of talked me into going Ceramic Rock with my 400 gallon, but I actually decided to stick with the live rock in the end. I think you can make Ceramic work, it may just take some time.  There may be some tricks to it, but personally, I just didn't want to spend the money on new ceramic rock. I really wanted to try it though.  Sorry, wasn't meaning to jack your awesome thread Bob. I just wanted to point this out to Molli.  

Edited by love2skiutah - September 28 2013 at 10:08pm
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 10:05pm
It's all good, guys... for the record I had some Vida Rock in my last tank (the 93 Cube). I didn't have any nutrient problems, but I also added a good quantity of live rock in the tank as well.

I will say that it did take a looooong time - like 7 or 8 months - to get a good amount of coralline coverage on the stuff...

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2013 at 10:37pm
D) Choosing Your Lighting

No single facet of your Reef tank will have as many options and choices as the lighting system.

Do you go with Fluorescent lights, such as T5s, VHOs or even Compact Fluorescents? Maybe a Metal Halide system is better? What about LEDs?

Maybe some combination of 2 (or more) types?

Most of the above systems will prove to be satisfactory; although I would probably stay away from the Compact Fluorescents (they are not strong enough).

So, if I was setting up a tank right now... what lights would I get?

I would start with a used Metal Halide system.

Why?

With Metal Halides you can grow anything; SPS, LPS, soft corals, and clams. And with the recent surge in the popularity of LED lighting, you can find many MH systems being put up for sale on the cheap.

Run with the halides to start. Once your tank has been up and running for awhile, then you can take your time and shop around and check out other hobbyists tanks, to see if you discover a different style of lighting that you like better... or, you can just stay with the halides!

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 4:12pm
Gotta love this thread. I wait with great anticipation for each new section.
I agree with Bob about picking up MH lights for a good price, but I believe that PC lighting works well too and can also be found at good prices because of the LED rage. I currently have unplugged my DIY dual 55W PC which was lighting the sections of my system located in the shadow to the side of the window.  I had raised it to two feet above the tanks but it was still too bright, causing red Macro, Ulva and Coralline algae to bleach and burn.
I use Helios brand Super Grow tubes in all my PC fixtures. They look like this:
This pink-blue combo combined with a full Actinic PC surprises people at how well it makes colors pop and coral grow. I dislike how the standard blue-white PC tubes make colors look washed out.

My 2 cents,
Mark Hug

P.S. Looking at that tank by Ching, there is so much coral that I cannot see the ceramic towers. Smile Like I always say, "Coral filters the water". I also see an extremely clean sand bed. I'll bet the key to that system's success is an extensive attached filtration system with its own room which might rival the one put together by our own Tileman/Brad here in Murray.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Gotta love this thread. I wait with great anticipation for each new section.
I agree with Bob about picking up MH lights for a good price, but I believe that PC lighting works well too and can also be found at good prices because of the LED rage. I currently have unplugged my DIY dual 55W PC which was lighting the sections of my system located in the shadow to the side of the window.  I had raised it to two feet above the tanks but it was still too bright, causing red Macro, Ulva and Coralline algae to bleach and burn.
I use Helios brand Super Grow tubes in all my PC fixtures. They look like this:
This pink-blue combo combined with a full Actinic PC surprises people at how well it makes colors pop and coral grow. I dislike how the standard blue-white PC tubes make colors look washed out.

My 2 cents,
Mark Hug

P.S. Looking at that tank by Ching, there is so much coral that I cannot see the ceramic towers. Smile Like I always say, "Coral filters the water". I also see an extremely clean sand bed. I'll bet the key to that system's success is an extensive attached filtration system with its own room which might rival the one put together by our own Tileman/Brad here in Murray.

Here is a pic of the original towers.  Also remember his tank is like 12 or 14 feet long, 4 foot high, 4 foot wide.  His filtration is the most amazing, clean system I've ever seen.  It's huge.  

Edited by love2skiutah - September 29 2013 at 4:21pm
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2013 at 4:41pm
I see a lot of fake coral on the shelves behind that evidently makes up the beautiful coral heads in this large tank. In the absence of adequate in-tank biological filtration, some extensive filtration equipment must be situated outside the display, right?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic