Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OH and MI coral farms?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OH and MI coral farms?
    Posted: September 03 2013 at 11:43am
Please reply if you have any information about coral farms in Michigan, Ohio or elsewhere.

My wife and I are planning a road trip, leaving this coming Monday, to see three coral farms:
Tropicorium in Romulus, MI
Tidal Gardens in Copley, OH
Reef Systems in New Albany, OH

We hope to gather information about doing a coral farm here in SLC. See this thread for more info on our plans http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=64971

Aloha,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049
[email protected]

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 03 2013 at 11:44am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 11:53am
Been to all of them.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 6:25pm
Aloha ReefdUp,

I was thinking of you when I posted that. Smile You used to live there, right? Are there any others? I would love to get your opinions regarding each of them.
Of course my ultimate purpose in visiting these ground level greenhouses is to figure out how it can be done, hopefully better, in a subsurface greenhouse.

Mark

Here is one of the best pics that forum member gregudolph sent to me from his visit to Reef Systems.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2013 at 7:50pm
Yes, I used to live in Ohio and Michigan, and I've been to every LFS that existed in Ohio while I was there.

I watched Reef Systems change over the years...they obviously had problems implementing the greenhouse idea. Eventually it became more of an indoor store with some raceways outside. I don't think I ever bought a single thing there...which should tell you something. Most of the serious reefers I knew didn't buy their coral there...mostly it was just newbies.

I don't remember anything about Tidal Gardens (it was 4 hours away, so it was just a swing-in sort of trip on the way to Michigan). I don't remember anything about Tropicorium either.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic