Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

great salt lake Brine shrimp pictures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: great salt lake Brine shrimp pictures
    Posted: August 08 2013 at 11:21pm
Hey everyone, Y'all missed out on todays brine shrimp collecting trip, it was fantastic! The conditions are perfect and there's plenty to go around, not to mention how good they are for your fish. In a very short period of time simply swishing nets around in the water me and mark got buckets and buckets of them that will last a looong time.

I'll attach a few pictures that I got I know Mark has several as well. So if any of you haven't been before or just need some more live/frozen brine shrimp I am more than happy to take a group out (I'm sure mark would love to come don't quote me on that though ;), or I'm happy to share a little Of what I collected today.

Upon Arrival   

Makes me want a sailboat...

This is one of the buckets about halfway through collecting.

Like I said if anyone ever wants to go I'm more than happy to help out (:
-Justin
150G mixed reef, growing coral farm.
Thirteenth year keeping reefs, always here to talk fish.
801-850-7577.
1stupidpunk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1stupidpunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 11:49am
Did you guys collect right there at the boat marina... I was there a few weeks ago trying to collect some Dunaliella phytoplankton and didnt see many live adult brine but millions or baby brine.
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 12:00pm
Yes we did, right between the boats there were more than enough. Fairly thick too in places.
801-850-7577.
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 12:01pm
How do you rinse/clean them?
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 12:09pm
Mark has a really nice way of rinsing them. Start with three small bucket/bowls of fresh water in a row. Net as many shrimp out as you can and let it drain for a few seconds then just repeat the process through the fresh water in the smaller buckets. There will be lots of left overs in your original bucket(s) so I just keep those alive to feed.
801-850-7577.
ch3tt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ch3tt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 12:11pm
Cool thanks, I'll have to go check it out.
Red Sea Reefer 625 XXL
ajsahm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ajsahm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 12:59pm
I am going to have to look in to this.  :)

75g - In the process of building
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 4:15pm
I hadn't been in a long time it was way overdue. Like I said if you or anyone wants to go with a group I'd love to go again. I'm just surprised that not many people collect their own so I thought I would post a little bit about it.
801-850-7577.
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2013 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by AcroNem AcroNem wrote:

I hadn't been in a long time it was way overdue. Like I said if you or anyone wants to go with a group I'd love to go again. I'm just surprised that not many people collect their own so I thought I would post a little bit about it.

I should collect brine shrimp. I live like 20 minutes away from the marina. It's just finding the time to do it. Maybe one day I'll have to join you guys out there.
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
Candymom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Candymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2013 at 11:02am
Let us know next time you go out, I'd love to come along.
Huskers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huskers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 10:03am
Can you keep them alive very long in a bucket with airstones/heater? Or do you just freeze them?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2013 at 10:18pm
No heater because the GSL is not warm.
No airstone because the GSL Marina is fairly stagnant. BS don't handle the tumbling too well.
They can be collected live from May to October.
The dock at the southwest corner of the Marina has no locked gate/has free access.

Bring them home in the 5 gal bucket half full of GSL water so it can slosh, but not slosh out.
Rinse them in 3 smaller containers of tapwater lined up. Transfer net fulls from one freshwater dip to the next, within a few minutes.
For the 3rd and final netting, let it drain longer and place the ball of BS in a ziplock freezer bag.
Flatten the bag, squeeze out the air and place into the freezer (on a cookie sheet if there are many bags).

I purposely save and feed BS to my aquariums for many days afterward, netting them right from the 5 gal bucket. To extend their life a few more days, I feed phytoplankton in the form of BSD Tahitian Blend algae paste. The last BS in the bucket will be nauplii that can be strained out just like rotifers; slow flow through a paper coffee filter.

Aloha,
Mark Hug

By the time we were finished the bucket was half full of water and had a 1-2 inch layer of BS swimming at the surface so you couldn't see the bottom of the bucket.

Have fun. Big smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 16 2013 at 10:27pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic