Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sailfin Tang won't eat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rmw2g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmw2g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sailfin Tang won't eat
    Posted: August 06 2013 at 6:19pm
Tried everything I know of. Anyone have/know any magic tricks!?

Thanks,
 Ryan
Less Technology. More Biology.
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 6:55pm
I've never encountered a sailfin that won't eat. Try garlic enriched foods or an appetite stimulant that you soak their food in that should do the trick.
150G mixed reef, growing coral farm.
Thirteenth year keeping reefs, always here to talk fish.
801-850-7577.
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 7:51pm
Take it you tried feeding it nori from an algae clip?

I has a Kole tang that seemed to be afraid of just found the clip unnatural.

Have you tried rubber banding a piece of nori to a piece of rubble in the tank? IMHO I think the Kole found it of a more natural grazing behavior.
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 10:34am
I have Macroalgae you could try and will be going out to the Great Salt Lake to collect live Brine Shrimp. I've never seen a fish refuse it and I've been collecting and feeding this for almost 40 years.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 12:18pm
When are you going to collect Mark? I haven't been to collect yet this season.
150G mixed reef, growing coral farm.
Thirteenth year keeping reefs, always here to talk fish.
801-850-7577.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 2:38pm
Probably tomorrow morning. Look in "New Posts" for today
rmw2g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmw2g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 10:03pm
Mark! that sounds great! And yes I have tried feeding the clumps of live red macro algae that we fed to the tangs and angles when I worked at fish for you. they ate that stuff up! I put some in there and he picked at it for a day or two but has not eaten since and is just knida hovering above the sand in one corner. Not really looking listless, just not eating and swimming around as tangs should. He appears alert and no sign of parasites/infections or discoloration. he seems to like being cleaned by the cleaner shrimp! I would like to know where you collect live brine out in the salt lake. do you need a permit or special license? Could you give me a call or text since you're in Murray?

Thanks 
Ryan
615-500-2968
rmw2g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmw2g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 10:08pm
Oh ya, another question. Am I a sucker if I buy garlic extract for $15.00 instead of mincing up some fresh garlic at home for less than $.01?
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 6:00am
Aloha Ryan,

After reading your description of the Sailfin's behavior, I doubt that Garlic will make any difference. Another environment may make a difference. An environment more like nature, where there is plenty of algae to graze. May we see a pic of your tank? I may have other suggestions. I could come visit and let you know what I think. I'll call you later today.

Minced garlic has worked for fish in some tanks, but not for others. I prefer inexpensive Garlic Oil in a gel capsule made for human consumption. Your questions about Garlic are probably answered in the WMAS Reefkeeping Tip in the link here and below titled "Secrets of adding new fish, fish training and the miracle of Garlic Oil."

Regarding Brine Shrimp collecting: No permit/license is required. Easiest place to collect is off the docks at the Marina with a large aquarium fish net or butterfly net. Going out there this morning for a "photo shoot".

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text anytime
rmw2g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmw2g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 6:37am
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 6:39am
I use a acclimationbox from elite aquatics that helps a lot imo
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
rmw2g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmw2g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2013 at 6:42am
Crappy cell pic but if I would really appreciate if you came over and took a look at our tank and tell me if you think we should do anything differently. Can you collect some brine for me and I'll give you a few bucks? Btw, do you think they would be good food for my mandarin goby as well? I have a pretty healthy pod population, but my girlfriend just love watching him "Nip at sea crickets" 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic