Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overflows on tanks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
addicted2cichli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addicted2cichli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overflows on tanks
    Posted: May 12 2005 at 10:52am
This is going to sound silly but what are overflows in tanks for and how do they work ?  If I am going to get a tank to do a reef set up (75 gallaon) would I want the overflow ? 
Scott Lund

He who laughs last is the slowest

10 gallon nano reef
soon to be 29 gallon reef

Evanston,Wyoming   1-307-783-5926
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 11:27am

There are basically 2 types... one that is drilled directly through the tank(IMO, most reliable and safest) and a Hang on that uses a j-tupe tube/syphon that takes water over from a slotted overflow box(in-tank) to a box set on the outside of the tank fitted with a short riser tube that allows the water from this box to overflow from there to the sump/fuge in where it is eventually pumped back up to the main display tank. Hope this helps...

Jason

www.captivereefing.com
reptoreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reptoreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 11:28am
BTW, Yes to the overflow!!! IMO, drilled.
www.captivereefing.com
fj40fax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fj40fax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 11:28am
I think all would agree on here that an external overflow is less desirable than a drilled tank.  Both are means to get water from the display tank to a sump below.

Fax
Fax 318-3632
90g 2x250W 14kK MH
Sump, Fuge, G3, UV, O3, ACIII
Pleasant Grove, UT Across State Street from the Purple Turtle
Adjustments and Massages for Frags!
addicted2cichli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote addicted2cichli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 11:35am
Are the built in overflows on new tanks good ?  I have seen them in lfs's and the tanks have built in overflows. Would this work ?
Scott Lund

He who laughs last is the slowest

10 gallon nano reef
soon to be 29 gallon reef

Evanston,Wyoming   1-307-783-5926
derikhills View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote derikhills Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 11:48am
The main purpose of an overflow is so you can have a refugium and sump under the tank.  Having a refugium with algea to remove nutrients from the tank is highly recomended.  I have a 55 gallon with a built in overflow and I have been very satisfied with it.
Tyler Stewart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tyler Stewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 11:55am
I have a 65 that has the built in Mega Flow overflow and I really like it because it comes with a kit that makes it really easy.  (Actually you have to buy the kit seperately)  The only thing is that it takes up a lot of space in the tank.. Other than that, it is easier (for me) and I really like it.  It is very quiet!  I would go with a factory pre-drilled tank with a built in overflow.  Just my opinion.
Ghetto Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghetto Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 2:24pm

Get a tank with a predrilled overflow.  You won't regret it.  It makes setting up a sump and/or refugium a little easier and it looks so much better.  Then, all you see in your tank are the water returns.  You can put everything (heater, skimmer, etc.) in the sump, and you don't have to look at it all.

Man I wish I was getting a 75 gallon tank with overflows.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2005 at 4:47pm
Years ago when AllGlass Aquariums first came out with their corner black plastic enclosure for the overflow piping through the bottom, I thought it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Now I have moved on to better setups. The black plastic enclosure is just wasted space, IMO. The best use of space and efficienct use of the overflow technique is to drill the tank near the water level and place a large (1.5 - 2") elbow with a strainer on the in-tank side of the bulkhead. Alternatively enclose the elbow with strainer in an inside overflow box. A matching elbow on the outside bushes down to connect to a 1" - 1.5" drainpipe.(Except on very large systems, a 2" drainpipe is unnecessary and holds too much water.)

To silence the waterfall/flushing sound the old durso silencing device can actually be eliminated by the use of a gate valve near the end of the drain pipe. Set the valve so that water backs up in the drainpipe to less than 2 inches below the top of the drain entrance.

This is the way I would go.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 8:19am
Perhaps I should explain a little more of my insanity regarding this design.
There are modifications to be made to ensure maximum water flow. I would chop off at least half the length of the elbows and for a strainer would glue bridal veil to the top edge. This would allow the minimum resistance to water entering the elbow, the minimum horizontal distance for the water to travel and give the elbow a lesser physical presence in the tank.
Also, I would use black ABS rather than white PVC, because black is less noticable.

And of course, the returns to the tank would go over the top and into a manifold rather than through a drilled hole.

Is this all a little crazy? This makes Jon Finch's statement about me all the more relevant.
Chris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 9:26am
Go with a mega flow tank you wont regret it and you wont have problems in the future. It will be one less thing to worry about when dealing with 75 gallons of water in your house. If you are worried about it taking up to much space buy a bigger tank.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 10:10am

Of course we all realize that Mark is crazy, don't we?  He's like that aunt we keep in the basement.  Just kiddin' Mark. 

But, I don't like the idea of putting a block valve on the drain line.  I'm a big fan of Durso style drains, but realize there are other ways to skin the cat.  And I think the weir of an internal overflow box does a better job of skimming off the top portion of water when compared to an elbow only.  Just my opinions.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 10:40pm
Jon, I wouldn't mind your basement. I could look at your tank all the time.

By the phrase weir of an internal overflow box, do you mean a toothed overflow box? Would that be a weir siphon to a box in back or would it be like yours where the bulkhead is holding the box to the tank, so that the water goes into the box and straight out the back of the tank? Isn't that what you have?

I checked the inside circumference of a 2" fitting and found that it is approximately 7". With only bridal veil material covering the opening, that means that that you would have 7" of open spillway. How does that compare to the room between the teeth of a box? Wouldn't you need a box measuring at least 2x8x2 to get the same amount of spillway? Am I missing something important?

Edited by Mark Peterson
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2005 at 11:36pm
Yeah, 7 inches probably does compare well to the typical all-glass overflow.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 9:28am
That's all? No other comments?
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2005 at 11:55am

My tank has two overflow boxes with about 23" of weir length.

I have my doubts that I could keep an elbow overflow quiet and I don't like the idea of having a valve in the drain line.  But like I said before, there's many way's to skin a cat.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic