Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

It's just a fad

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It's just a fad
    Posted: June 12 2013 at 8:44am
From another thread:
Originally posted by Akira Akira wrote:

... a nice chunk of live rock that is covered in coraline will speed this up.

You have it correct. That was exactly my point.

I suspect he is trying to avoid the risk of pests that come on LR and LS from another tank. We know what they are and how to recognize and deal with these. I have often been asked to give my opinion on some "live rock" that a person was planning to buy. I sometimes advise against the purchase because of the poor condition of the rock. I never buy the LR from the LFS which has sat in the dark and has become white with very little life on/in it. I do buy uncured LR that was in the ocean just a few days before.

The color spoken of in an earlier post, which can't come through in a picture of the tank, is just the stain of color left over from the Coralline Algae that used to be alive and thick on that rock. In fact it's probably what created that rock over a decade of growth, but now it's mostly dead and will only come back in time on small areas of that rock, rock which is just the skeleton of it's prior self.

This attempt by some hobbyists to completely avoid pests via quarantine and treatment is not natural. It's also a ton more work and like I said, takes a long long time to have a good reef. Those tanks end up with recurring problems in reaching a stabilizing balance of the biological processes. For example a tank that is in this mode is left defenseless by an accidental mishap such as a power outage. Problems are compounded by the hobbyists attempt to keep their tank "sterile".

I believe that as with other fads in the hobby that have come and gone over the years, the pendulum will eventually swing back to the ecology of the natural reef.

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
808-345-1049 call/text anytime

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
80cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 11:06am
Hey Mark,

I really wasn't trying to avoid hitch hikers as much as I was avoiding the heftier price tag that comes with other sources of live rock. I did buy some, but my tank's current white state is more of a financial reality than a preferred situation. If I had my way, there would be purple algae all over the place in there. 
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 11:42am
Watch the board or ksl a lot of people getting out of the hobby sell live rock for cheap.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 6:19pm
Aloha,

The time is coming where I will be able to supply hobbyists with locally grown reasonably priced LR and coral.

The concern that spawned this thread has to do with things in general, something that has been increasingly on my mind. New hobbyists can get concerned with hitchhiking pests and rightly so. Twenty years ago there were two commonly recognized pests, Hair Algae and Aiptasia. Life was easier back then after GARF introduced us to Snails and Hermits to control algae, plus our tanks had not yet reached a point where they could effectively grow coral and anemones. Aiptasia were rare. Big smile

Along came the Flatworms, followed closely by Majano. Just as reef aquarium life was becoming more fun with the growing list of propagated coral and Bangaii Cardinal breeding, it also became a little more complicated. Red Bugs were next and with the popularity boom of Zooanthids we started finding zoo eating Nudibranchs.
Enough reminiscing. Wacko

My point is this: We know how to recognize and deal with these pesty things. Let's not let our worry keep us from encouraging the myriad of useful and fascinating organisms that we can keep in our living reefs. Gone are the days of sterile white marine aquarium. Hello to the wonderful  natural reef with the amazing color and variety of little creatures and algae that "pop up" on new LR.
Naturally, along with the good comes a little bad. The living reef is like this.
Here is a common tidepool in Hawaii.

To me that is beautiful because it's a natural ecosystem.

Tulip Anemones, so desirable at the time(circa 2005), but later to be known as the dreaded Majano.

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 6:39pm
That majano above is beautiful, I have seen a few of those every once in awhile and actually like them:) If they didn't get out of control I would like them in my tank.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

This attempt by some hobbyists to completely avoid pests via quarantine and treatment is not natural.
It's also a ton more work and like I said, takes a long long time to
have a good reef. Those tanks end up with recurring problems in reaching
a stabilizing balance of the biological processes. For example a tank that is in this mode is left defenseless by an accidental mishap such as a power outage. Problems are compounded by the hobbyists attempt to keep their tank
"sterile".

I believe that as with other fads in the hobby that
have come and gone over the years, the pendulum will eventually swing
back to the ecology of the natural reef.

Having a box of saltwater sitting in a home with a ton of electricity all around it and in it...with tons of money going toward it...and people cutting up animals is not natural. We're combining corals/fish/inverts/etc. from all around the world...we're taking them out of their natural habitat and are forcing them to live together. Last I checked, the US (and other countries) do not allow foreign seeds/plants/whatever into the country...and people have to go through health checks. Dogs/cats/etc. have to go through quarantine. Smallpox anyone? The dreaded Kudzu that was tame in Japan and took over the South?

There is STILL no in-tank cure for Montipora-eating nudibranchs or Acropora-eating flatworms. Controls sometimes work...but most people who've invested thousands of dollars and even more of their time are not willing to gamble on what *might* work.

I've never had these "reoccurring problems" of which you speak...and my tank certainly isn't defenseless. My tank is far from "sterile"...it has all sorts of stomatellas, several species of mini brittle starfish, limpets, chitons, all types of pods, collonistas, collumbellids, you name it. This method has worked excellently for almost 7 years...and my tank thrived even during a NINE DAY POWER OUTAGE. I also moved my entire system (corals, fish, and all) across 2,000 miles...and it was all so healthy that it survived sitting on Delta's tarmac for FOUR DAYS in the summer. I've never claimed my method is the only way, but I do strive to educate people that there are other alternatives. Some of us cannot risk our livestock to ich or AEFW or whatever. I can sleep peacefully at night...go to a crazy job...and know that I won't come home to a nightmare.

Please respect other methodologies than yours. Other ideas are proven to work. I do not disrespect your pursuit of natural treatments (as long as they are not touted as a cure without proof.) Please do the same for others.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 7:58pm
Well said. Thanks for that counterpoint.
DLindquist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DLindquist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 8:29pm
18 yrs and going strong.

Edited by DLindquist - June 14 2013 at 9:30am
A government strong enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have.

AcroNem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcroNem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 8:44pm
I don't believe any of the comments starting this particular thread were meant to start such nonsense as arguing over whose aquarium system is best and who doesn't know what they're doing. I've been in this lifestyle (it's not a hobby) for a decade and throughout that I have found that it isn't one huge group of lists that must be followed to the letter. An aquarist should know how their tank behaves and care for the animals in such tank how they have found works best.
Although advice by any aquarist Is almost always valuable, discarding anothers' way of thinking and their way of maintenance on a tank is rediculous. Relax and accept that there are a lot more ways of reefkeeping than the way that is yours. This is an amazing lifestyle there's no need for things like this.

Always here 801-850-7577
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by AcroNem AcroNem wrote:

...it isn't one huge group of lists that must be followed to the letter. An aquarist should know how their tank behaves and care for the animals in such tank how they have found works best.
Although advice by any aquarist Is almost always valuable, discarding anothers' way of thinking and their way of maintenance on a tank is rediculous.

+1 Well said.
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
rize2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rize2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2013 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by AcroNem AcroNem wrote:

Relax and accept that there are a lot more ways of reefkeeping than the way that is yours.

No kidding!

Edited by rize2 - June 12 2013 at 8:47pm
love2skiutah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote love2skiutah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 8:57am
I don't know how many people follow Chingchai's tank in Thailand, but his tank is in my top 3 favorite tanks of all time.  Ching doesn't use live rock, solely because of pests.  He pulled out all of his live rock and replaced it with fiberglass rock.   I actually don't know anyone else who does this, but he uses fiber glass in all of his tanks.  Pretty cool to see what alternatives are out there.  I thought I'd just share.  

Here is a link to a video of his tank as well.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ldGH-HNkrE

Edited by love2skiutah - June 13 2013 at 8:57am
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 10:40am
I agree with Mark to a degree. I like a little more "natural" looking and functioning reef. But what we as hobbist are doing is far from natural. In my 30 gallons of reef there is no way it could function just like the ocean. I let most of my hitchhikers live if they arent an absolute threat to my goal in reef keeping. Im intruiged by the fauna that pops up. And I choose livestock that is compatiable and that catches my fancy. Ive seen other tanks that I envy and others that just dont interest me. Thats one thing that makes this hobby great. The options and challenges are many.

There are definitly wrong ways to go about it. Even though kitty litter is white and has good consistency, its just doesnt make good substrate. There is out dated ways and fast ways and shortcuts and so on. I started out not using shortcuts. I wanted to learn and know why. It worked for me.

All I want is a beautiful aquarium and happy inhabitants.

Edited by xlr8r - June 13 2013 at 10:41am
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 12:10pm
This hobby continues to evolve over time.

When I started in this hobby as a teenager in the (gulp!) mid 1970s... the cutting edge technology for saltwater fish keeping (there was really no such animal as the modern 'reef' tank yet) was undergravel filtration over a substrate of dolomite gravel with bleached coral skeletons for decor. Lighting was the typical single bulb flourescent, and the idea of drilled tanks with plumbing and sumps was still at least a decade away. Not only was there no such thing as "Live Rock", the concept of 'live' anything was actually discouraged. If your pristine white coral skeletons became tarnished with algaes (and bacteria) you would have been advised to 'wash in fresh water and then soak in bleach water to return to original condition'... Shocked

Of course, if you could keep a Yellow Tang alive for more than 6 months, you were considered a seasoned veteran and maybe even a 'saltwater genius'! (and very lucky as well...). Corals? I remember brown mushrooms, green palys, and the occasional Toadstool or Leather. That's it.

Fast forward 35+ years, and we now have a multitude of equipment, engineeering, chemical, biological, and environmental advances that would have been thought impossible even 20 years ago.

Things like keeping stony corals, anenomes, and giant clams; spawning fish (and even some inverts) and actually being able to raise the fry; 'tank - raised' and 'aquacultured' and 'maricultured' this - and - that... coral fragging has become commonplace and easily undertaken by even novice aquarists; and live rock, NPS corals, rotifer cultures, 'designer' clownfish breeding... I could go on and on.

And my opinion is, that we... as responsible hobbyists... should embrace this evolution rather than eschew it. I would love to see what a smart, talented, and experienced person like Mark could achieve if he choose to incorporate some of these advances in modern technology and methodology into his regimen and champion them - rather than dismiss them as 'unnecessary'.

I fully understand that 'his way' can work. In many instances.

But I also understand that if I were to be in San Francisco and face east...and start walking... I could make it all the way to New York City. Might take a few months, but it would work.

Or I could drive, and get there in 4 days. Or fly, and get there in 4 hours.

Now truthfully, how many among us would choose to walk?

It might 'work'... but there are now much better ways to get to the same place.

Guess that's my point. 
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 12:30pm
It's said that "variety is the spice of life."

Aloha my friends,

I need to apologize.
Yesterday there was a relapse of the opinionated and outspoken Mark. I  started feeling it last night and woke up this morning with a fuller realization of my offense. Sometimes I'm such an idiot.

The comments have all been awesome. I read through every post twice with gratitude for your level heads. Thumbs Up

Mahalo,
Mark Hug
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 1:37pm

One reason I joined this board and visit frequently is to gather info amd seek advise. Its a great place to do such. Everyone, and I do mean everyone has good input. Experience is valuable. I embrace it. Thanks to you all.  

BobC63 has some really good input. I was reading an extremely outdated saltwater book. I made me laugh at times. Things have changed and for the better IMO.

And as for getting to New York from San Francisco, Flying would get you there faster. But think of the things you'd see and learn by driving it! Big smile(BTW i love road tripsEmbarrassed)

Just my two sense.
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 1:58pm
Unfortunately, this hobby often involves the blind leading the blind.

I've done a little bit of everything in past tanks:

-Quarantine process
-Just throw it in process
-Live rock full of critters, good and bad
-All ceramic rock tank
-Great skimmers, controllers, and reactors
-Fuge chalked full of algae and crap, never being cleaned

The list goes on for the two extremes I've done....I think we are all entitled to run a tank how we would like, granted we aren't constantly killing off livestock. I do feel incorporating some natural aspects (ex. a big fuge) and some tech (ex. great skimmer) into one system has brought me the most success, without significantly hindering my life so as to make this "hobby" become a "lifestyle", as I have many other important things to do then keep a reef.  A full quarantine setup is great and admirable, but at this time in my life, I don't have the funding, nor the time to run one. 

On the contrary, Mark, I don't see a reason to apologize for the advice given.  If so, then we all must apologize for our opinions.  For new hobbyists, I tend to agree that the natural and slow route, is best, utilizing some technology (ie skimmer) that is proven and easy to deal with. So I guess that means I must walk to New York, but maybe hitchhiking along the way some Wink

I see a pattern with new hobbyists, seeking the best LED setup, when their mind and priorities should be spent on water quality and patience.  Yes, LEDs are cool, but I would only consider them a viable option for experienced reefers, as they definitely add another element to achieving a successful tank. 

Edited by bur01014 - June 13 2013 at 2:00pm
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2013 at 6:55pm
I for one love these types of threads.  I've often said the only way for a fight to break out is to have two parties who care.  I can see here that the statement is up held.  Everyone who has commented cares greatly for thier little ocean.  I've valued Mark's advice in that his ways fit better into my budget but on the same hand I've used many methods described by other more "aggressive" or "hands on" reefers.  I think there is a happy middle for me.  Thanks everyone for contributing.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 14 2013 at 7:51am
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

I would love to see what Mark could achieve if he chose to incorporate some of these advances in modern technology and methodology into his regimen... 
Please go here to see What is Mark up to now!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic