Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Krazie's Nano Paradise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Krazie4Acans View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 9:19pm
I can't believe how bright those things are under the small amount of UV I run. That is a phone picture and it's bright. Imagine how bright they really are! BBEB's FTW! Dang!
My ocean.
90g (yup, won it!), 40g, 28g, & 10g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 9:25pm
Better than having lunch money?  I guess my happiness guarantee was fulfilled after all. Smile
150 gal reef with 50 gal sump. Reef Octopus DCS-200 Skimmer. AI Sol Blues.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 9:33pm
No. I'm starving. Lol all you did was fed the addiction. Now to find my fruitloops! Oh and some money. Can I have some back?
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 9:35pm
Nope, No returns.  But I do have a three polyp fruit loops. Wink  Fruit loops are food, right?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2013 at 10:30pm
Those kind get really soggy in water and then dissolve. I sure hope that's not what I paid for! ;)
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2013 at 11:37am
So I ordered all of the parts to complete the retro on my LED hood. They should be here on Friday. Unfortunately my weekend is full of wedding stuff for my Nephew. I also think I will be ordering some additional parts to replace more of my cool white LED's with something a little more full spectrum.

I have a ton of new stuff to put on teh tank and in the tank and as soon as the wedding and garden are out of the way the updates will be on their way! I can't wait. It's like Christmas everytime I change the tank!

I also got started on the plans for the new stand and sump that will be going under this tank. I can't wait for that. I always struggle getting my big paws into the sump area on the back of the tank and think the space of a sump will let me dose, top off, and change media without having to move the tank or make a huge mess everytime!

Doesn't sound like I'm planning for much of a "down" season this summer. SmileWink
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2013 at 10:31am
Been a bit delayed in getting new pics taken and the thread updated. I always forget how much work it is putting in a garden and we went big this year. The new garden is 20' by 50' and is 4 times what we usually do. Consequently it takes 4 times as long to till prep and plant 4 times more garden, just in case you were wondering. :)

I got the parts in for my new Dimmer controls for the stock LED's, I have also put in an order for some more LED's to add some spectrum to my lighting. I have always felt like this tank had tons of light but never really produced a lot of color in the corals. The tons of light comes from 25 - 3W cool white LEDs. You heard me, 25 of them on a 28g nano! I'll be replacing 10 of those with a combination of Natural White, Royal Blue, Cyan, Deep Red, Pink, and green. Keep in mind that this still leaves 15 cool white LEDs on this small tank. I may replace some of those cool whites with more Neutral whites and even some warm whites as well. The trick will be in how to put them all in, hook them to the stock driver, and be able to dim them without adding 20 channels of dimming. I plan on putting all the new LEDs on two of the stock drivers and then adding a dimmer to each set. I just need to make sure I put the right lights on the right dimmer so that I can control them without ending up with some strange color combinations!

I also ordered some new gadgets for the tank to help improve the environment for my animals. I've got to do a bit of cord management and trim some plastic and then I'll have those updates as well. I am seriously considering building a new stand for this tank and adding a sump. I would then have to drill my tank. I feel like doing that will allow me to better manage my water perameters without having to get into the back of the tank. The tank location does not allow for really good access to the back and dosing gets a little strange at times. I know I could add dosing pumps and just run those up to the back of the tank but I think it would be cleaner and easier to maintain if I had a sump on the tank. Good news is that because the tank has a built in sump on the back I can drill the tank without trearing it all down. I just have to shut off the pumps and remove the water out of the back sump area of the tank and then I can drill while the invabitants try and figure out what the noise is at the back door.

Hate to have anyone hanging on waiting for an update, but rest assured there are plenty of them coming! :) KrazieClown
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2013 at 9:16am
Well Time for an update. The combination of the Garden (which really needs weeding badly) and the two tanks are sucking up all my time. I backed off of my normal maintenance schedule on my main tank ( we all know what that means) so it took me a while to get the GHA back under control and the tank looking good again.

I still have all the parts to work on my LED's and will be getting to that this coming weekend! Finally! I love messing with my hood and making the tank look better. After my last Mods things have been doing much better, however I think that by adding 12 new LEDs to a tank the was already very bright may have shocked a couple of my corals and in hindsite I think I should have unplugged a few of the strips of staock LED's (remember they are not dimmable) to keep my PAR rating inline with what everything was used to.

So, I still need to get to those LED's, I also have a 40b that I am setting up as a frag/growout tank to allow my display to become an actual display. Tongue I know Novel idea. So I have the 40b tank as well as a second 40b that will become the sump for this new tank as well as either my 10g Nano, or my display tank depending on where I decide to put the larger tank (or where my wife decides I can put it). I have fireplace opening that is setup for a gas insert or pellet stove that is sitting empty in the family room. I think it would make the perfect place for the new tank and wouldn't take up any additional space in teh room. I just need to draw up some sketches to help the wife visualise the idea. Wink

So, There is still tons of stuff that I need to post on here to update and i will be working on that in the next week. I have pictures of the Skimmer and the mods I made to make it fit the back of my cube. I've been super happy with the skimmer and it's ability to make mud if I want it that dry. I also have a sump project that I will be working on, as well as a new stand for the cube (the stock stand on these JBJ's scares me to death!). So until I get started on all of that and get some pictures of it all, I decided just adding some updates tank pics would be a good start. Please ignore the dirty glass!

Here we go: FTS

Full FTS of Structure

Left Side

Right Side

BBEB's One of my favorites

Rastas (started off as 1 very small polyp and is now 6, still a little small but growing)

A bit blurry but you can see the other heads a little better.

Sunny D's trying to run away from my RBTA :). They will be relocated soon so that they can grow on the plug and the rocks.

And My Magicians (started as a single polyp)

More stuff to come this week!
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 8:33pm
I just had to share this little success on my thread. I have a friend that bought a War coral frag that I loved when I first saw it. It looked awesome and quickly became one of favorite corals and I didn't even own it. :) After 9 months of moving it all over the friends tank it just never seamed to find a happy spot that it liked and started to loose all of it's color! :( After much begging and pleading, I was allowed to make an attempt to rescue it. :)

So here is a picture that I took right after I brought it home:

I was really worried! No polyp extension, almost no color, and was pretty hard to tell if there was still any tissue still on it.

Then after about a month of love and attention and some very specific hand feedings, I was rewarded with this!

So more feedings, daily monitoring, water changes and every other form of care I could think of and another month went by to produce this:

And then we have today!

Still not the bright pink orange with green eyes that it was but I think it's only a few more months from being it's awesome self! :)

What do you think?
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 8:40pm
Great job with the War Coral. It is now a beauty!

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 9:19pm
Here are the pics of the Aquamaxx HOB-1 Skimmer that I bought and then modified to put on my tank. The skimmer fist pretty good right out of the box but if you want to run other equipment as well then the mods that I made allow for that to happen. I run GFO on my tank so I needed the mods in order to fit the pump in under the skimmer pickup tube.

So here we go.

This first picture shows the return tube after making the first cut. I shortened the tube by about an inch so that it doesn't extend into the back chamber quite so far. If you leave it the stock length then the tube will interfere with being able to open the hood and possibly even breaking the hinges (like I did :( )

Here is the piece that I cut off.

Here is the elbow that fits on it showing the original length and then the length after it's trimmed.

So then I needed to do the same thing with the pickup tube. Here is the tube with the piece trimmed off. BTW I used my Dremel with a cut-off wheel to make the cut.

Then how the elbow fit originally:

And then how it fits after shortend:

And with the down tube installed.

Here is a bad picture of the spot where it will go on the back of the tank.

Here it is installed and running. The return tube runs out onto a piece of black filter foam to help quiet it and to catch any debris and micro bubble.

And from the other angle

What you can see from the front of the tank.

It sticks up a bit but not really enough to bother me. The yellow tube is the most distracting thing on the skimmer but it also makes you want to see the equipment on the back of the tank almost as much as the cool things inside. :) The skimmer is working awesome and can easily be adjusted from a nice tea colored wet skim to almost making mud. Really has been one of the easiest skimmers I have ever tuned.
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by Mike Savage Mike Savage wrote:

Great job with the War Coral. It is now a beauty!

Thanks Mike!
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 10:05pm
very nice!

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2013 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by ksmart ksmart wrote:

very nice!

Thanks Kyle.  That's a true compliment coming from you! 
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2013 at 6:46pm
Does anyone else have a Miami hurricane chalice that has PE like mine? It does this every day even right after I feed it.  It's crazy.  Looks more like an anemone or a fungia than a chalice.  Lol 
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 11:32am
Got a bunch of new pictures to post but My son's wedding is this weekend and I'm not sure I will have time to post them before that. I can't wait to post the latest picture of the Miami Hurricane chalice in the post above! Talk about growth! The frogspawn has doubled as well.

Picked up a bunch of new frags from Nick801 and did some re-aquascaping to get my GSP under control and remove some Paly's that I no longer wanted in the tank. I will be posting a bunch of frags on the forum soon to clear out my frag tank.

Even after GFO bombing my tank (Almost made me want to stop using GFO) things are doing very well. Added a bunch of new stuff to replace old stuff that just wasn't fitting into what I wanted for the tank.

I'll get things updated as soon as I can. KrazieClown
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 11:38am
Looking good! That chalice pic is cool.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 11:43am
Darren you should see the sweeper/feeder tentacles on that thing in a couple of the pictures I have. They are literally 3" long! It eats like no other chalice I have ever seen. whole brine shrimp disappear. lol

Mummy eye and sunset Monti are Glow in the day in this tank. Can't wait to get the rest of the mods done on my LED's and really watch the colors go crazy.

Did you get your plumbing done?
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
DMower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 11:52am
Yes. I think it turned out fine. You can see what my tank looks like now in my build thread. Is sure was tough trying to get our schedules to match. :)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazie4Acans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2013 at 12:05pm
What do you expect when I work early morning and you never sleep when it's dark outside. lol Glad you got it done. Now I can just point out all the things you need to redo. :) I have a reminder on my calendar in two days to ask you about a frag of something. Can you guess what it is? :)
My ocean.
PADI Advanced Open Water
Tank Thread:
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic