Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank Changes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tank Changes
    Posted: January 29 2013 at 8:05am
Well as you know, I am going to be making some changes on my tank.  I currently have a 180 with 110 sump, so 290 gallons in the system.

I am wanting to move down to something like a 125 display and maybe 20-40 gallon sump.

I have thought of just purchasing a new 180 display, but made of glass.  I am worried about the weight of the glass though.  I have my tank on my second floor, so adding weight there really doesn't put me at ease.  I also dont want plastic bracing on my display because it would look really weird with my tank, and I don't think I have seen a nice rimless 180, though they probably exist.

I am considering the Red Sea Max 400 S tank because I really like the look and how complete they are.  The sumps don't really provide for a lot of natural filtration etc, and the price is a bit high for what you get, but overall, I really like it as an option.  I also like that it has 125 gallons total volume including the sump, so I could keep most of my fish for now.  I was really wanting to go as small as an RSM 250, but the part of the tank my wife most enjoys, are the fish, so I need to accommodate her wants as well as mine.  The 250 looks better than the S line (in my humble opinion), but its just not quite big enough.  

So now that I saw I will be spending some money on whatever tank I move to, I started playing with the idea I have always had or converting my kitchen island to a display/ sump set up.  I would leave some counter space so you could eat a meal at the counter etc as well.  My biggest concerns here are: Cost of tank set up, cost to fix island when I sell my home one day, kitchen chemicals/ fumes affecting the water, loss of storage space inside the island.  On the plus side, I would have a sink just a couple of feet away from the tank, so water changes would be easy, the tank would look great on the first floor of the home, it would be very unique.

So I need guidance.  Just curious to hear what people think of the ideas/ what people are doing.  I would kind of like to push my skills and see how great of a custom set up I could do, but i think the cost could easily exceed that of the RSM 400 quickly, and stress my wife out as well.  

Here is the current tank:

Here is the RSM 400:

Here is the RSM 250:

Here is the custom tank idea:

Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
justundrake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justundrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 8:53am
I have a 120 rimless thats sweet. I have a 40 gallon sump/fuge. Ill post up some pictures soon..
120g rimless-AQUARIUM CREATIONS
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 8:57am
^Please do, I would be interested to see how yours looks.  I am looking at www.zeroedgeaquarium.com They have some really awesome set ups, but I am guessing the price will be tremendous. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justundrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 8:59am
Hands down aquarium creations.
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 9:02am
Yeah I think if I go custom, Eric and I will figure something out.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justundrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 9:08am

joelduval1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joelduval1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 9:14am
Nice!
Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 9:31am
That looks stellar Justun. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justundrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 10:13am
Thanks i love it. Getting mp40s from someone on here when he gets his 60s. Starefire is awesome clear. I love the island idea. But would go to eric
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic