Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone want to see a Rhino Scorpion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone want to see a Rhino Scorpion.
    Posted: January 24 2013 at 7:45pm
Sorry Adam its not actually Red, but still a beautiful(for lack of a better term) Fish.
I am extremely pleased with it.
Thanks Exotic Reefs.
Enjoy:
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 9:03pm
Photo?
www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
SNOWRIDER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNOWRIDER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 9:15pm
Pics
75g Just starting out, Stand and canopy From Richins carpentry.
tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 9:40pm
2 things:
-you got it? If so, awsome!
-Pictures...
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 10:07pm
Just wanted to see if anyone wanted to see it.

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 10:15pm
Oh wow!
Hogie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hogie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 10:16pm
That thing is nuts!
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 10:31pm
Love it!

Here's a video of the one I had for a while: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vl6Ob3-am9Q
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 10:41pm
I was never able to get mine to feed on anything other than live fish. I tried live ghost shrimp, raw shrimp off the stick, krill, silversides, and and and. Nothing. It would feed on damsels readily, but any fresh water fish I introduced would be ignored as soon as they showed any signs of stress - normally within about 2 minutes.

So, I just kept 1 or 2 damsels in the tank all the time and would replace them whenever it fed. They are not long lived anyway and depending on the age when collected, you should have a cool pet for up to a year. Take lots of pictures and enjoy!
Dan9554880 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan9554880 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

Love it!

Here's a video of the one I had for a while: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vl6Ob3-am9Q

Poor damsel :(
210 Mixed Reef
20 Nuvo nano reef
Learn your tank, not the hobby
griffith View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote griffith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2013 at 11:06pm
Sweet!

Linn
Pay it forward...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2013 at 8:21am
Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

I was never able to get mine to feed on anything other than live fish. I tried live ghost shrimp, raw shrimp off the stick, krill, silversides, and and and. Nothing. It would feed on damsels readily, but any fresh water fish I introduced would be ignored as soon as they showed any signs of stress - normally within about 2 minutes.

So, I just kept 1 or 2 damsels in the tank all the time and would replace them whenever it fed. They are not long lived anyway and depending on the age when collected, you should have a cool pet for up to a year. Take lots of pictures and enjoy!
Thanks for the advice Shane.
He is eating live fresh right now i did see him eat a small amount of mysis yeaterday.
Might have to move him to my smaller cube. I have a large blue jawed Trigger that eats the live fish faster than the Scorpion.

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2013 at 11:54am
BTW. Don't be surprised when your fish sheds its cuticle. Not sure if you've read up on these or not, but they will shed their skin to remove algae and othe stuff that may build up on them. It looks like a blob of jelly and may be consumed by crabs if you have them. Otherwise, it is easily removed with a small net. Mine shed about once a month. This is when they are the most striking and have the best color. The algae and detritus tends to dull their natural colors as you would expect.

Also, you must feed marine food. Certainly in the early stages eating ANYTHING is critical. But as it settles in and becomes more comfortable eating what you provide, make sure you include marine food. Or, gut pack ghost shrimp with cyclopeeze will also work. As spendy as this fish is, I suggest spending six to ten bucks a month for "feeder" damsel fish.

Keep,me posted. I am considering getting another and would like to hear how it goes for you. And, post more pics!

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2013 at 3:53pm
That is COOL!

tfmreefs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfmreefs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2013 at 3:58pm
way cool man!
"The early bird might get the worm, but only the second mouse gets the cheese."
Luv68tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luv68tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2013 at 7:02pm
Stunning!
~Michelle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 10:14am

chuckfu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chuckfu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 10:35am
Awesome
Try, try, try, then give up!
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 11:24am
Cool indeed.  I once I had two of them in my shopping cart and everyone else around was whispering "check out the guy with two rhinos."  It was a pretty cool feeling.  

My new fish are now out of acclimation.  So far so good.  I took some photos this morning, but I'll be tied up in the lab all afternoon.  I'll try to post them sometime soon.  My real rare guy (an anemone) is looking great so far.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2013 at 12:20pm
Definitely Rhinopias frondosa. Love the purple splotches!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic