Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

10k vs. 14k -the test - cancelled, sorry!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10k vs. 14k -the test - cancelled, sorry!
    Posted: April 03 2005 at 7:43pm

I recently switched to 14k phoenix bulbs. According to Sanjay's analysis, the phoenix 14k's come in around 88 PAR, and the aqualine 10k's I was running come in around 108 PAR. Ever since switching to the 14k's I have noticed a significant decrease in SPS growth. SO... I decided to work up an expiriment to see just how much growth I get under 10k vs. 14k. (The coloration in the coral is soooo much better under the 14k's.)

Here is a side by side pic - 14k on left, 10k on right.

I have three different pieces of brown digitata, and three pieces of green capricornus. One of each placed directly under each light at exactly the same depth. Then one of each at the same depth in the middle (acting as a sort of "control").

The digitatas measure exactly 1 1/4" each. I will post pics and progress weekly.

Digi under 14k:

Digi in center of tank:

Digi under 10k:

Edited by ssilcox
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 7:59pm
Awesome I've been waiting for someone to do this! can't wait till your next post.

Edited by bugzme
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 8:04pm

This is great Shane, How long do you plan on doing the experiment.

Keep us posted, I have two months untill I have to buy new bulbs.

335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 8:06pm
Brad you just bought 2 bulbs--- Isn't that what your wife would say?
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 8:35pm

Heh heh - I am planning on a month. I figure I should be able to see decent results in a month. However - we'll see how it goes.

Worse case scenario - I put a 10k and a 14k on either side!

Edited by ssilcox
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 8:52pm
looking forward to your results 
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 10:39pm

I'd be very interested in publishing a write up on this.  Time lapsed pics to compare color and growth would be most useful.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 10:56pm
Awesome.

Aesthetically, I really like the look of the 10ks, but then, its all about growth.

oh -- thats a win/win! I too am anxious to see the results. I just replaced my Hamiltion 10ks with XM 10ks (175w) and ... I'm adding 2x250w XM 20ks in the next couple of weeks. If I can control the heat, I should have plenty of light! We could take some before and after pics for coloration comparison as well.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2005 at 11:23pm

It will be interesting to see the results.  But I'm sure the results might be different with different corals (for example my red stylophora turns blue under actinics and even 14k mh)

Worse case scenario - I put a 10k and a 14k on either side!

I did that on my tank for a while... it looks kinda strange

pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 9:07am
Cool experiment. Good luck with it.
BiggieT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BiggieT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 10:53pm
I did about the same thing I had 10k and switched them to 14k. At first I really liked the 14k the color of my corals was awesome but it seemed like my growth slowed way down. So after about a month I got sick of the 14K lights and switced one back to the 10K and man what a differance I could see everthing on the one side again. It seemed so dark with the 14k compared to the 10k. I gave the 14k away because I hated them after a month. I convinced myself that 10k is the way to go.
If you dont have time to do it right, When will you have the time to fix it?
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 11:23pm

I agree w/ the assessment of 14K and 20K bulbs being a bit on the dim side. With my tanks, I have tried to compensate for it by adding more light than "normal" ... I put 3 250w DEs over my 120 and 6 T5s in addition to a 250W DE over my 60g. They don't seem as dim with the "extra" wattage. I think I am getting pretty good growth, but I've never tried 10Ks. Personally, I wouldnt give up the awesome coral color that I get from 14K and 20K bulbs for extra growth...

Shane: I think it could be very interesting if you also used a frag that can be very colorful.

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 11:36pm

I'll try that. I got some colored acro frags tonight from a friend of mine, I will try some on either side.

I just went with the brown digi because of how fast they typically grow.

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 11:39pm
Personally, I really like my tank with two 250 watt 10Ks and one 400 watt 20K in the center.  I tried 14K bulbs and didn't like it... maybe I quit on the idea too fast?  But if I "liked" the look of the 14/20K bulbs I would gladly sacrifice growth for color.  If you're not growing them to sell, then who cares about growth?
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2005 at 11:55pm
Jon: are you getting good growth out of your 400w 20K?

As far as look goes ... I really think there is a big difference from bulb to bulb. I didn't much like my Hamilton bulb, but I'm pretty sold on the phoenix (AC). I currently have a 20K -- 14K -- 20K over my 120. I did notice a growth increase when i changed out the center 20K for the 14K , but I also noticed some color changes in my corals (a few good and a few no so good). I don't think i will go all 14K though.

I just went with the brown digi because of how fast they typically grow.

I totally see why you picked the digi  ... It was a real after thought on my part.... wondering what the color diffs would be after a month.

Edited by coreyk
pmpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pmpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 10:05am
After reading this, I'm think I'm going to change my 20K bulb for a 10K. I need to replace the bulb here soon. Any ideas where I can pick up a 10K HQI (double ended) 250 Watt bulb? I'm using the 250 W spacelight right now.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2005 at 12:00pm

are you getting good growth out of your 400w 20K?

I don't know what effect the 20K bulb in the center has because I've always had it and have no experience without it.  As for growth, I have some sps that grow very fast and other's that don't appear to be growing at all.

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 5:08pm

My wife told me to just go buy the biggest lights I could find. (!!! ) So, I am upgrading everything to 400W.

So - I'll be selling my current lighting, in case anyone is interested.

coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 5:12pm
LOL ..

So are you going 20K, 14K, or 10K ... DE or SE ?

Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2005 at 5:17pm

What type/size are the bulbs you just got?

"So this is what gives meaning to your life." -Unknown

Daniel in Santaquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic