Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

buying new bulbs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rwgoose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwgoose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: buying new bulbs
    Posted: November 14 2012 at 6:57pm
i run mh moguls.. i am looking to buy new bulbs this month.. my question is should i buy the 14k.. or should i buy the 20k... differences? better growth?
getting fishy??
ReefdUp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefdUp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 7:30pm
The bulbs to buy depend on which ballast you are running. Some ballasts will make some 20,000K bulbs look yellow, and the PAR won't be ideal. What ballasts are you running?

The lower Kelvin rating means a more yellow look with typically better growth (but less coloration due to higher populations of zooxanthallae.) The higher Kelvin rating gives a more blue (white) look with less growth but better color. Your preference here is what matters as long as you are running a compatible bulb/ballast combo.

www.reefdup.com
Diving since 2009, reefkeeping since 2007, & fishkeeping since 1987
200g, 75g, & 15g Systems
PADI Advanced Open Water
sabeypets View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sabeypets Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 8:46pm
I agree with Nikki, over all 10k will give you best growth, 20k corals color up better, 14k is somewhere in between. It's a matter of personal preference. I like the 14k as 20k is to blue for my liking. I also supplement with VHO actinic 454nm and super actinic 420nm bulbs (blue).     
Shaun
American Fork
"Would you leave a dead cat in your kitchen till tommorow?" Builderofdreams
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 8:53pm
Agree with both Shaun and Nikki. Personally i like the Blue look i am running 20k Halides with 2 six foot VHO super Atinics. I prefer the color over the growth.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2012 at 9:00pm
It is a hard question to answer. It really comes down to personal preference. The brand of bulb and ballasts used will also make them look different. I personally would rather have my corals look good then get a little better growth so I always go with a more blue look. I prob have around 16k look right now with my leds. When it comes to mh mogul bulbs hands down phoenix 14k is my favorite bulb. However it is super expensive. The last few bulbs I bought when I was using mh were plusrite 20k. They look more like a 14k. They also put out great par and are a fraction of the cost of phoenix. However they only last about half as long so it is kind of a draw...
Best thing to do is go see different bulbs/ colors in person and decide what you like best.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2012 at 1:25am
Roy how many T-5s did we Put in , was it 2 or 4.  If it was 2 definately 20k if it was 4 you might like the 10 to 14k . See if you can find a few similar set ups and view them . Just my o2.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic