Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adding Nitrate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding Nitrate
    Posted: March 25 2005 at 6:30pm

If your Nitrates tested 0, would you add Sodium Nitrate to your tank in an effort to have some Nitrates? (the idea being that corals absorb nitrate as food)

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 6:57pm

If you were using some high tech labratory quality method of nitrate measurement, and it tested 0 (very unlikely) then yes I would add a nitrate salt (NaNO3 or KNO3).  But just 'cause a hobbyist kit show 0 doesn't mean it really is 0.  The ocean, around reefs, is usually less then 0.1 ppm nitrate (as nitrate).  I kinda doubt many tanks are actually lower then that.  But...  it might be an interesting experiment to try it out.

Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

If your Nitrates tested 0, would you add Sodium Nitrate to your tank in an effort to have some Nitrates? (the idea being that corals absorb nitrate as food)

Adam

No,

You tank is constantly producing nitrate, if you want higher nitrates then remove  types of filtration that provide denitrification.  You could also just feed your tank more and that in turn will produce higher nitrates (plus the food will be more beneficial from the corals then the nitrate).

I really don't think this is a problem as I don't think I have ever seen a tank that can sustain 0 nitrates.

The only time I could really see adding Sodium nitrate is if you were trying to raise corals in a sterile environment.

Plus, I'm not sure how much nitrate intake a coral does.  There is little research done on this.  I imagine if corals used nitrates quickly then we would rarely see nitrate problems in aquariums.  Just coral growing out of control.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 8:05pm

You could also just feed your tank more and that in turn will produce higher nitrates (plus the food will be more beneficial from the corals then the nitrate).

I completely agree.  But guess what... a famous author out there recommended adding Sodium Nitrate.  I think he is off his rocker on this one.  This question started because someone emailed me asking if this advise he was given was a good idea.  I answered the query by saying "just feed your fish more food".  Just like Jake would have said.

Adam

Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 9:19pm
Ive added micro algae grow to my tank to get better macro growth (not for better nutrient export, just cuz i like macros). No observable effects other than better algae growth.
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 9:46pm
That guy that is off his rocker probably only feeds his fish once a year or something. FEED YOUR FISH EVERY DAY ALWAYS WITHOUT FAIL FEED YOUR FISH THEY ARE HUNGRY. And your corals might like it too, but if they don't like it they will tell you. I think the more you add the worse off you are.
5 gal fluval spec v http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65727&KW=&PID=531710&title=my-new-little-one#531710 12 gallon jbj nanocube reef Stansbury Park (Tooele Area)
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 9:48pm
Excuse me....the more additives that you add the worse off you are. ALWAYS FEED YOUR FISH EVERY DAY ALWAYS WITHOUT FAIL..........
5 gal fluval spec v http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65727&KW=&PID=531710&title=my-new-little-one#531710 12 gallon jbj nanocube reef Stansbury Park (Tooele Area)
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2005 at 10:42pm

But...  it might be an interesting experiment to try it out.

I've wondered if slightly measurable nitrates might help to increase coral growth, but I don't wonder any more.  I just did a literature search.  It appears that this "experiment" has been done hundreds of times .  The consensus seems to be almost any elevated nitrate results in decreased calcification rates (although sometimes it does result in increased zooxanthellae).  So I think it would be silly to add nitrate on purpose.

Adding more food would likely also increase phosphates.

Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2005 at 11:56pm
I think higher nitrates would increase ALGAE growth......you should do it Adam. Who cares about fish and corals. Its the ALGAE that is the prize.
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 1:07am

Its the ALGAE that is the prize

Ding*

Adam

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 10:24am
It would be a very delicate balance trying to add additional food for "increased' nitrate levels. I think Adam is right in his reasoning that increased feeding would increase phosphate levels. Any growth benefit of higher nitrates would be quickly overshadowed as a result of the phosphate.

I would also tend to disagree with Firefish that you should feed your fish everyday without fail. I tend to feed heavily, but I do not think its necessary to feed every day. Unless the fish load is very heavy, they should be able to forage regularly. I have recently (in the last 6 months) began feeding flake food and I have noticed an increase in phosphate levels. The safe approach would be to feed every third day for starters and take it from there.
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 4:17pm
Would using tap water once in a while give you the nitrates you're looking for, or just introduce lots of other unwanteds? If memory serves, Adam, you use nothing but tap water don't you? Interesting concept. I agree with Shane on the feeding philosophy. I think daily feedings should be reserved for expert reefers or those with uber-amazing filtration. Telling a newbie like me to feed daily would lead me down a road I hope never to go down again. My fish seem much happier now that I only feed once every 3 days.
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 6:33pm

Yes I'm a tap only guy.

Adam

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic