Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Confused: Update.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confused: Update.
    Posted: April 27 2012 at 9:17am
Hey all.
Need some other opinions.
For the last 4-5 months i have been waking up to some ,what i call white water.
Water is cloudy when my actinics first turn on. Through the course of the day the water clears up.
I have tested alk, and the ph first thing in the morning and there is nothing out of range.
I have a reverse lite sump and no refugem.
Nothing is stressed and all corals are usually open by the time the lights come on.
Not sure what to do here. If anything. I have not changed any of my procedures in the last 4 years.
Really irratates me only because i don't know Why.
Here is a picture of the tank from the side. You can only really tell by looking through the side not from the front.
Thanks in Advance.

Edited by builderofdreams - June 06 2012 at 9:46am
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 9:32am
I want to put my money on corals spawning.......
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 9:36am
That would be sweet. You could sell coral larvae instead of frags

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 9:48am
Originally posted by disneymania disneymania wrote:

I want to put my money on corals spawning.......
For this many months? Wouldn't my 36watt UV kill most of it?

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 9:57am
Originally posted by BillyC BillyC wrote:

That would be sweet. You could sell coral larvae instead of frags
Lets start the Bidding at 50cents per Gallon.LOL I am very dedicated to changing water.

arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 11:13am
bacteria blooms maybe
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 12:39pm
Nocturnal zooplanton.
Have you ever dived on the reef at night or seen videos of it. Have you notice how much plankton is swimming around? It actually obscures visibility.
Have you ever viewed your reef aquarium before dawn or earlier? Do you notice coral polyps expanded more than during the day? Have you seen LPS feeder tentacles stretched out at night? How about duster worms and other filter feeders? What do they do in the dark?
Hobbyists tend to focus on coral with the unfortunate exclusion of all else. Yet, the food chain of our reef tanks, as in the ocean, grows macrofauna that are doing an awful lot of feeding/biofiltration. We talk about a reef aquarium reaching an age of maturity because of things we can see, but let's not overlook the nocturnal zooplankton that has reached a beneficial level. There are worms and bugs continually spawning and then eating each others spawn. There is zooplankton that comes out of the LS and LR after dusk to feed and spawn, then at dawn returns to the LS and LR to sleep.
Big smile
Hope this helps.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Nocturnal zooplanton.
Have you ever dived on the reef at night or seen videos of it. Have you notice how much plankton is swimming around? It actually obscures visibility.
Have you ever viewed your reef aquarium before dawn or earlier? Do you notice coral polyps expanded more than during the day? Have you seen LPS feeder tentacles stretched out at night? How about duster worms and other filter feeders? What do they do in the dark?
Hobbyists tend to focus on coral with the unfortunate exclusion of all else. Yet, the food chain of our reef tanks, as in the ocean, grows macrofauna that are doing an awful lot of feeding/biofiltration. We talk about a reef aquarium reaching an age of maturity because of things we can see, but let's not overlook the nocturnal zooplankton that has reached a beneficial level. There are worms and bugs continually spawning and then eating each others spawn. There is zooplankton that comes out of the LS and LR after dusk to feed and spawn, then at dawn returns to the LS and LR to sleep.
Big smile
Hope this helps.
Thats funny. I mentioned above that most of my corals are already out prior to my lights coming on.
No. I have never had the pleasure of diving at all. I sure have watched hours and hours of Reef Videos though. Glad to hear its nothing for me to worry about.Clap Thanks Mark.Smile

laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 5:55pm
Do you have a wrasse thats sleeps in the sand bed? This tripped me out when I first bought my wrasse, makes my tank cloudy when he wakes up and goes to sleep
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2012 at 6:31pm
No Wrasses or anything that stirs up sand.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 9:46am
Update:
Nothing has changed. Getting really tired of waking up and just barely being able to see the the powerheads. I have two other tanks that use the same salt and ro water but my DT is the only one that does it. Need more ideas or suggestions. Corals look great. Testing my water shows no signs of anything out of the Norm.

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 9:54am
I'm with Mark... nocturnal plankton coming out.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2012 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by builderofdreams builderofdreams wrote:

Really irratates me only because i don't know Why.
For fun and to verify what we are saying, I'd siphon some of that early morning water out into a quart jar or clear glass. Let it stop swirling and look at it against a bright light.
I'd also let it settle and using a pipette take some water from the bottom. Then put a drop under a microscope or look at it with a good magnifying glass or Jewelers Loop and be amazed at what you see.
Your coral and other inverts are open and eating all night long.
Cardinalfish love this kind of environment as well.
Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic