Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Pico/Nano all in one

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Pico/Nano all in one
    Posted: March 18 2012 at 3:43pm
I have a 15 year old that really wants to get a small aquarium setup over the summer to keep a Yashi Goby and Pistol Shrimp.

What are recommendations on a good/simple all in one Pico/Nano all in one? JBJ, Oceanic, Cadlights, etc.? Thanks!
Christianwaisath View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christianwaisath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 4:13pm
I have the 29 oceanic biocube! I really like it, this is also my first saltwater tank. Many people disagree with the use of the bio balls that come with the stock setup as being a nitrate factory, now I'm not saying this is true or false I have yet to see problems with nitrates and I'm about 6 months in. Maybe I will in the future but as of my most recent series of water tests (yesterday) my nitrates are 0. The back chamber is also easily modified from bio ball setup to fuge. If you have any questions pertaining to the biocube I can answer to the best of my knowledge
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 4:48pm
I would skip the biocube only because they are using PC's and there are plenty of new setups out there that have everything you would want.

How much do you want to spend?
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 4:54pm
This is on her budget, so nothing too fancy yet don't want to go too cheap that she won't be successful. Not going to do anything crazy, just a few softies. Likely will want one with a lid due to getting a goby.
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 5:01pm
Then maybe look for a used 14g biocube with a stevieT media rack, and swap out the PC's for 1-2 ecoxotic panorama pro's At least thats what I think would be the best long term.

Edited by Ahanix - March 18 2012 at 5:02pm
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 5:29pm
I have a 14g BC I took out the bio balls and bought a media rack and put in a refugium light. I use carbon and chaeto in the in the refugium. I still have stock lights and even though they work great they create alot of heat and I battle temps during the summer. I will soon be doing an led upgrade.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 5:50pm
I would go with something like a biocube nanocube as well. I love mine. I don't mind the pcs buts I added two blue stunner strips for better coloring. I think a 14g would be perfect or even the 6-8 gallon one seems it will just be the pair.
There was a 14g nanocube on ksl the other day that I debated on with stand and everything for $120
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 5:54pm
Here is the link it's not in the pet section :)

Ksl link
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christianwaisath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Cody Cody wrote:

I have a 14g BC I took out the bio balls and bought a media rack and put in a refugium light. I use carbon and chaeto in the in the refugium. I still have stock lights and even though they work great they create alot of heat and I battle temps during the summer. I will soon be doing an led upgrade.

Cody I just upgraded to an ai sol unit and it works great, the nano would work awesome, jut thought I'd throw my 2cents, I'm experiencing lots of growth with my plating monti and the acans are going nuts, new heads on my lord scan almost weekly... Though idk if that has to do with light
Cody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 6:47pm
I actually work with led lighting as I build cop cars. I plan on a full custom hood with my own design :) I'll post picks when I actually get around to doing it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christianwaisath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 7:54pm
Right on man
Pete1122 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete1122 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2012 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Christianwaisath Christianwaisath wrote:

Originally posted by Cody Cody wrote:

Cody I just upgraded to an ai sol unit and it works great, the nano would work awesome, jut thought I'd throw my 2cents, I'm experiencing lots of growth with my plating monti and the acans are going nuts, new heads on my lord scan almost weekly... Though idk if that has to do with light

I just bought a AI Nano, cant wait to get it all set up.  Those lights combined with a Biocube are hard to beat!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic