Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PVC Overflow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
xessive force View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PVC Overflow
    Posted: March 07 2012 at 5:39pm
I have been reading up on some different sights about PVC overflows.  I am going to start a project and make one with a new sump for my tank.  The trick is going to be 1st making sure it quite.  And of course make sure it fits and make sure it works.  Has anyone made one of these that worked?  Any tips on how to make sure it works right?

Edited by xessive force - March 07 2012 at 5:49pm
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that's why they call it the present.
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 5:51pm
I made one that works really well, and is quite.

http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43757&KW=29&PID=398074&title=setting-up-my-29-gal-reef#398074

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 6:33pm
what size of pipe did you use and what pump did you use on your return?
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift that's why they call it the present.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 7:37pm
The pvc is 1", the abs is 1 1/2", and I use an aqualifter pump to prime it, and keep any air from builiding up in the tube (I don't think it is needed, but I use it just in case).

The return pump I am using right now is a rio 2500
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 07 2012 at 9:18pm
I made one of these for my 12 nano using 3/4 inch pvc with a maxi jet 600 as a return and I ran an airline to my power sweeper (power head) in the tank to keep it primed.
40 gal w/ 20 sump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 1:51pm
Will a maxi jet 1200 work for a return pump?  I will need to pump it up about 3 feet maybe closer to two and a half feet.  I just got a new maxi jet for the return to replace the stock pump in the back of the jbj and if I can get away with it I would love to not have to buy another pump, as I am a cheepskate.
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2012 at 3:08pm
my 600 is on the floor, it's about 3 feet maybe a bit longer for the return. For my little tank its perfect.
40 gal w/ 20 sump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2012 at 6:46pm
Okay Everything is up and running and seems to be working great. I have simmulated power outs about 20 times and it seems like it's going to keep primed. Pretty happy with it, other than the mj 1200 is really loud. Thinking of sucking it up and getting a nicer more quite pump. The flow of the mj is perfect just that the pump itself is a bit too loud for me. Any suggestions should I upgrade that would have about the same flow that would be much quieter?

Edited by xessive force - March 11 2012 at 6:49pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xessive force Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2012 at 10:47am
Any help with quite return pumps for my sump, and any tips on where to get one?

Edited by xessive force - March 12 2012 at 10:51am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2012 at 5:18pm
I don't remember, but I didn't think my maxijet was that loud (mine was a 1000 I think).  I am using a taam rio 2500 right now, I have had it for a long time, and I don't think it is loud.  You may also want to look at a quit one (I had an external one, and it was very quit, I couldn't even tell it was on unless I looked at the water flow), or an eheim (I have never had one, but I hear they are good).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic