Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sump build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
christopninja View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christopninja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sump build
    Posted: February 01 2012 at 1:07am
I'm thinking of building a sump (if I can't find one one here) . I want it to be from 36-40 inches long and 18 inches high. How thick should the acrylic be? Also any one know where to get the stuff i need at a good price.
laynframe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote laynframe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2012 at 9:45am
have you ever glued acrylic before?
The time we enjoy wasting isn't wasted time!!!!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2012 at 12:18pm
Whats the other dimension?
18" is a bit tall when you consider the room that's needed to get into it to work on it.
That could be a simple $10 storage tub. Easier, simpler, faster and more economical.
Have you seen the link to setting up a Sump/Refugium in the Reefkeeping Tips below?

Edited by Mark Peterson - February 01 2012 at 12:19pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christopninja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2012 at 5:49pm
i have not but i have a friend that has. and i have not mark i check it out

tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2012 at 6:30pm
Professional Plastics in Ogden has the best pricing on acrylic. I agree with Mark 18" is pretty tall for a sump. Most skimmers run at 9-10" of water. I would keep it at 15" tall anything above that for a sump is wasted material and space IMO. You will need 3/8"thick acrylic for the 15" with minimal baffles. You can get away with 1/4 if you do a 1 piece eurobrace and at least 4 baffles and make sure you are getting VERY good joints if you go with 1/4" use Weld-on 4 and make sure your edges are all router finished not table saw cut edges. Hope that helps
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2012 at 9:26am
Clap good info from tcfab Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote christopninja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2012 at 3:16pm
yes it was. but i just went with the RDP rubbermaid sump. That was very good info and it convinced me
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic