Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Large Rimless Tanks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Large Rimless Tanks
    Posted: January 15 2012 at 9:35pm
I've been wanting to replace my frag tank and main display tank with one big rimless tank between 150 and 250 gallons. I however haven't seen to many of them around here.

Does anyone locally have one I could come check out. Also where did everyone get them?

What are some of the negatives of having a large rimless tank?
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 9:47pm
Check out "setti007 " he has a 150g rimless diy

Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 9:56pm
Sorry its "seti007" ask him for pics his stuff is sick and wrong !!!!!

Elite-Aquatics View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2012 at 10:34pm
I have a Miracles 130 gallon rimless 3/4" Starphire glass. If you are looking for a builder I would contact Reef Savy, I wish I would have gone through them to get my tank Felix at Reef Savy builds some of the best quality tanks I have seen. They are located in Florida. Expect to drop around 2k for a tank this size though they are pretty spendy is the only downsideUnhappy But worth it, they look awesomeThumbs Up

Edited by Elite-Aquatics - January 15 2012 at 10:56pm
Premium aquarium filtration!
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 11:42am
So what does Miracles mean? I always see it but I'm pretty ignorant on all the rimless tank stuff. All I know is that I think the big rimless tanks are beautiful .

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 11:51am
Originally posted by Laird Laird wrote:

So what does Miracles mean? I always see it but I'm pretty ignorant on all the rimless tank stuff. All I know is that I think the big rimless tanks are beautiful .

Miracles is the manufacture. They are based out of Canada.
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 12:05pm
Just like Ryan said they are based out of Canada, I would not recommend they though. I like my tank but I expected a little better quality for the price I paid for it. I would highly recommend Reef Savy though
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 12:16pm
Nobody local builds them or can order them?

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 12:32pm

Nobody local builds them or can order them?

I think Eric does. His name is Fire Shrimp here on the board. He used to own Marine Aquatics which is now ReefOn. I bet any LFS can order them but I would want to know who they use and see pics of their work first.

Like tyler said, plan on at least 2k for good tank. Miracles quoted me like 1200 for a 36x24x20 tank with external overflow.
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 12:41pm
Ya I had planned on the price being about that, so thats not a game changer.

Does anyone know any negatives to big rimless tanks? They don't have any strength issues or anything?

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 1:57pm
Asad/seti007 could be very helpful to you. He does good research on everything he does. I'd call and go see his awesome tank, that was btw, built by Eric.

I've seen Asad's tank up close along through the years. Well worth the visit, plus, he is a great friend and has always been an inspiration to the hobbyist in me. He and I made the first trip out west to find Utah Rock.

Here is his tank build thread: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35604

Here are pics of the tank after conversion to his DIY LED's: http://utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=47666

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 16 2012 at 2:00pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 2:06pm
Asad's tank is amazing!!!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by Elite-Aquatics Elite-Aquatics wrote:

I have a Miracles 130 gallon rimless 3/4" Starphire glass. If you are looking for a builder I would contact Reef Savy, I wish I would have gone through them to get my tank Felix at Reef Savy builds some of the best quality tanks I have seen. They are located in Florida. Expect to drop around 2k for a tank this size though they are pretty spendy is the only downsideUnhappy But worth it, they look awesomeThumbs Up

I contacted them for some quotes.

Where have you seen their tanks?

Who should I contact for a quote from miracles?

50 Gallon rimless cube.
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 10:15pm
Asad was 1 of the first tanks I've seen from this forum ........All I can say is WOW !!!!!!!! I have never seen a tank with brighter colors , variety of life etc. Dont discount my lack of experience for being simple , he has what I strive to have in the future !!!
Akira View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 10:30pm
I just looked at the link and sorry to hi-jack ur rimless but the bare rock in his tank thread is gone !!!!!! I was at his place on frag fest , all i can say is take any 500g from a lfs add like some odd ball high end stuff thats big and have lots we havent seen and stuff it into a 150 and thats what he has .........But Eric is on Ksl now its aquarium masters if I rem correctly :)

Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elite-Aquatics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2012 at 11:59pm

Originally posted by Elite-Aquatics Elite-Aquatics wrote:

I contacted them for some quotes.

Where have you seen their tanks?

Who should I contact for a quote from miracles?

I have seen Reef Savvy tanks on many build threads on Reef Cental and Reef2Reef. Reef Savvy just became a sponsor on Reef2Reef go check out there posts and website, there very well built tanks.

As for Miracles, here is their web address  www.miraclesaquariums.com

Tanuki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tanuki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 12:06am
Rimless is completely topless too or just without the frame looking pieces? I think mine is considered rimless with a euro brace maybe?
Defending Reefscape Champion (I Think)
AquariumGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AquariumGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 1:39am
i am a big fan of A.G.E. i have ordered many tanks from them over the years. they are out of Texas and do excellent work. the aquarium or any other LFS can get you a quote from them.  http://www.acrylicandglassexhibits.com/index.html
�A black belt only covers two inches of your ass. You have to cover the rest.� - Royce Gracie
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 8:27am

So here is the space where my tanks are. I want to replace the two current tanks with a large rimless where the frag tank currently is. That little space where it is is 84inches by 48 inches deep.

I thought a 5 foot by 3 foot tank might be good because it would still leave a little room on each side for viewing. I'm not sure though. Whats everyones thoughts on size?

50 Gallon rimless cube.
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2012 at 8:35am
A large cube tank right in the middle of that room where the frag tank is would look amazing IMO because you can walk all around it and view all side.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic