Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bob's 93 CUBE Reef Build Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bob's 93 CUBE Reef Build Thread
    Posted: March 15 2011 at 12:54pm

OK, so many of you out there know by now that I sold both of my existing setups -

The 37 Hex Reef and the 225 Reef Shocked

A few of you even thought I was "getting out"ShockedShocked

Well.... you were WRONG LOL

I just "downsized" a bit, that's all...

SO here goes another Build Thread Wacko

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
EvanB756 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EvanB756 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 1:20pm
so after spending many hours on your other build threads reading and taking notes I'm excited for you to start this one. Good luck. :)

90gal display w/ 30gal sump.
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 2:34pm
Where do I start...?

Well, with the demands on my time (work-related and otherwise) I was having difficulty maintaining 2 full reef setups (especially the big tank). Made the decision to start over and consolidate to 1 medium-sized system. My goal being something that would be a little easier to maintain, due to the smaller size and water volume; a little more automated so that I wouldn't have to spend as much time working on it; something that was still new to me as far as tank size or 'style'.

I ended up deciding on a very nice 93g Cube setup that was being offered for sale by Jared (peiji) a little while back... I liked the look of the 93 Cube (never had one before) ever since I saw the one raffled off at the MWRF.

This one was in decent shape and I felt it had potential, so I picked it up:

A 93 gallon Acrylic Cube (30" X 30" X 24" ) complete with a very nice black stand and canopy (built by Richins CarpentryClap) plus a 20g acrylic sump. The setup also came with some lights and a few other misc pieces of equipment.

The tank itself was pretty scratched up as you can see in the photo.

So, I figured it would need some 'expert' attention.

And who better than our own resident acrylic expert tcfab?

So, I drove the tank up to him in N. Ogden, and a week later....

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 7:08pm

Really, a cliffhanger this early in the build.

I like the dimensions of the cube. So are you going to have it running for the RT?
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 7:37pm
I can't wait to see this come together.  I am really enjoying mine.  Looks like we will have a bit in common with our builds.  The quality work of Dion and Tcfab, and basically the same tank.  

Rick
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 10:28pm
Burt -

It should be up by Reef Tour day, but after being on the Tour for 4 straight years I am going to be a Tour Guest this year...

Rick -

I really took a liking to your tank, and it definitely influenced my decision to buy one for myself.

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 10:51pm
Now, where were we on our "cliffhanger"..?

Oh, yeah - got the tank back from tcfab and it looks like a brand new tank Clap

As you can see, I also installed the plumbing and a sandbed.

Plumbing consists of a single 1 1/2" Durso exiting through a 1 1/2" bulkhead, down 1 1/2" pipe into the sump. Return is a 900 gph pump that runs into a tee with 2 eductors.

Sandbed consists of 70 lbs of Utah oolitic and 30 lbs of sugar-sized Aragamax...

Under the stand resides the 20g sump. Skimmer will be a sweet Bubble Magus NAC7 Cone Skimmer featuring a tcfab-built extended collection cup.

Next up...

"Let there be light"

Big smile

phinfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phinfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2011 at 10:52pm
I am hoping to be a reef tour guest as well.  Maybe I can jump on board next year and be part of the tour.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2011 at 12:22am
Awesome. I was really sad not to be able to set up the 93g cube I won as it is one of my favorite looking tanks. Good luck:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2011 at 1:57pm
This setup came with 3 VHO lights and a 400w SE MH light.

I was a little concerned about 400w being a bit much over less than 100g of water (heating issues and all) so I decided to swap in a 250w DE pendant instead.

WIth the VHOs, I was almost ready to swap those out for some T5s, but after a long talk with Shawn over at Aquatica, I decided to stick with the VHOs - but I added 1 more.

So, the lighting for this tank will be (4) 24" 75w VHOs, running off an Icecap #430 flo ballast, and (1) 250w MH, running off an Icecap electronic MH ballast.. On the VHO bulbs, there was really only 1 choice, as far as I am concerned. I went with UVL's internal-reflected Super Actinic bulbs for all 4 spots:

The flourescing power of these babies is unsurpassed... really gonna make the livestock "pop". These shots are w/ VHOs only -

On the 250w MH DE again, really only one option for me... A Pheonix 14K bulb.

These shots are with both VHOs and MH -

Now, the tank is not this "blue" in person - I used my wife's point and shoot camera instead of my new DSLR because I was too lazy to go upstairs and set it up Embarrassed

In person, the tank looks a subtley blueish tint and appears brighter overall.

Should end up looking pretty decent once we get the rock and  'critters' in...

Big smile

wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2011 at 2:07pm
Whats your though process behind staying with vho's over t5? I just picked up a new tank that has a vho metal halide combo. I was on the fence about changing it. So your insight would be helpfull.
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2011 at 2:12pm
Bob thats looking great =) I also joined the 93 gallon cube club this week 
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2011 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by wickedsnowman wickedsnowman wrote:

Whats your though process behind staying with vho's over t5? I just picked up a new tank that has a vho metal halide combo. I was on the fence about changing it. So your insight would be helpfull.

When I spoke with Shawn, he told me that if I already had the VHO setup and was thinking of switching to T5 solely as an "improvment"... that I wasn't going to see all that much of an improvement - especially when I would be using this lighting for actinic supplementation vs. full-spectrum lighting. He told me he actually prefers the look of VHO actinics over the T5s.

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2011 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Nick801 Nick801 wrote:

Bob thats looking great =) I also joined the 93 gallon cube club this week 

Maybe we should start a "93 Cube Club" thread like the kind they have over at RC?

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2011 at 11:35pm

Today I got a delivery.

A new Spectrapure Pro-tested RO Membrane

Did a little 'maintenance' on my RO system... changed out the 3 prefilters (1 micron sediment, chlorine remover and carbon block) and replaced my worn-out original membrane with the hand-built and individually tested Spectrapure membrane. Went from a reading of 30 ppm after RO (the result of the bad membrane) to reading 1 ppm out now ShockedShockedShocked

I figured 1 ppm RO water is pretty darn good... so at 9 PM tonight I started filling the tank...

Big smileBig smileBig smile

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 11:06pm
Today, while the tank is filling, I worked on the ATO (Auto Top Off) system for this tank.

The ATO will feature of a 15 gallon RO water reservoir that will fit in the corner, hidden behind the stand.

FIrst I cut a hole in the top large enough to install a float valve and pump

The pump is a Quiet One 1200 running through 3/8" tubing

Here's the finished setup. I taped the cutout part back on to prevent dust and crap from getting in and contaminating the purified water

Here's what it looks like installed behind the stand. You can't see it unless you open the stand door. I still have to make a holder for the top off line coming into the sump. I figure 15 gallons of top off will probably last about a week, so I will only have to run my RO filter once a week - which should save wear and tear on the filters.

I also picked up a very cool looking Carameco Vida Rock "centerpiece" from Burt (bfessler)...

Definitely will be the rock showpiece in this tank.

One large piece, about 24" X 15" X 18" tall, with tons of nooks and crannies and places for fish to swim through and locations to place corals...

Shall we see how it looks in the tank?

Wink

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 11:22pm
Here ya go:

About 60% full now... we are on our way!

Big smileBig smileBig smile

Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2011 at 11:49pm
dang thats an awesome start =)
badger126 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badger126 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2011 at 2:47am
That will look great! What do you plan on for corals? A ton of sps branching out from that centerpiece would look amazing.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2011 at 7:32am
I agree, The simple structure in the center with branching and plating corals would allow the fish to move and be viewed from all 3 sides of the tank and would look amazing.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic