Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fresh water question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Zyorhist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyorhist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fresh water question
    Posted: March 05 2011 at 11:50pm
so in doing research i have been thinking of utilizing salt water ideas and coming up with natural filtration process for my fresh water tank, much like you can do in a sump for a salt water tank.  I would like to be rid of having to replace filters in my 180 frequently and i am devising a plan for doing this...if anyone has any input or comments about this please feel free to mention them and i will keep an eye out for them...

Edited by Zyorhist - March 05 2011 at 11:50pm
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 1:01am
You can use things like FW shrimp to help as part of your "clean up crew" if it's going to be a community tank. The recent rise in bacterial systems in Saltwater may also be something to consider. Brightwell aquatics makes a bio pellet media and supplements that are sold to work in freshwater as well. I'd look into those depending on your experience level. It's called Katalyst bio pellets and Microbacter7. I run them on my reef and have seen a drastic drop in dissolved nutrient levels since starting. You can also set up some sort of RDP refugium with different plants in your sump, as well as putting them, in the display. I think the only real difference is that with a planted FW tank you'll eventually need to supplement CO2 to help them grow really well.

Edited by CapnMorgan - March 06 2011 at 6:21am
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2011 at 1:52am
Keep researching. I believe you will find that wheel has already been invented. Smile
I have a freshwater tank that I give just about the same amount of maintenance as my marine systems. (next to noneClown)
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Zyorhist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zyorhist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2011 at 2:27pm

the only problem i have with mine is that the main tank has Koi in it therefore i will be unable to plant anything in the upper portion...however i was thinking of having either cherry or ghost shrimp as my cleaners...and was debating on how i want to do the sump portion of it...

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2011 at 9:17am
I put it together similar to how I do reef systems, with Live Gravel, Live Rock and driftwood from Big Cottonwood Stream. Three types of plants were purchased from the LFS and the hair algae was free.

It's amazing how pretty a feeder fish can be when given placed in good surroundings. Have you ever heard of White Cloud Mountain Minnows?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic