Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tank cracked (pix pg 4) w/ happy pg 5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2004 at 8:36pm

Renee,

if you tell me what sizes of acrylic you need ill cut some for you and it will cost you a big $0.00

Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2004 at 10:01pm

How do you pull an 8 foot tank back to square?  I'm thinking two people pushing on either end... one in the middle to say "Yep!  It's square!  Just hold 'er right there, and I'll put the stuff in place.  Okay, now hold 'er while it dries..."     

Okay, Jon mentioned long straight board in the front + long straight board in the back to re-square it.  But to me, it is "off" of square because there is a gap in the front.  So it would need to be re-squared by pushing the sides together.  The crack in the back corner is "off" square because the back and the left side are at a tiny bit of an obtuse angle.  Boy, I hope that made sense.  In other words, the back corner isn't 90 degrees any more.  It's 1/4" wider. 

So Eric, if I could get you to cut me acrylic, that would be fantastic.  In order for me to tell you what I need... then I need to figure out what I need.  In the back corner, would I want a square (fitting just the corner), a rectangle (that would run along either the side or the back), or an L shape (running along both side & back)?  What would be best?  Also, is there a chance that this will rip apart and create a major catastrophe?  I know that's a tough question.  Just give me your best guesstimate, Doctor Eric.     Cuz if this really means that I need a new tank, I can live with that.  I know an interesting thing that I could use this tank for, and it wouldn't matter that these cracks are here.  Truth be told, I wouldn't recommend an 18" deep (front to back) tank sitting on a 36" stand in addition to the height of the tank.  It moves when someone walks by.  Not a lot, but if you do a jumping jack in front of it - - pretty wiggin experience.  It's fine, but very interesting.

Edited by Weimers
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2004 at 10:56pm

I think by looking at the pic your aquarium can be fixed and saved. I also think it can be done safe with very little chance of catastrophe.

Here is how i would do it if it were me. I first would goto HD and buy 1 eight foot 4x4 and 1 eight foot 2x4 and 4 long clamps. I would put the 4x4 on the front and the 2x4 on the back at the top of the aquarium  and using the clamps to hold them into place here is where its very important. make sure you dont over tighten any one of the clamps more then the others this will cause the top to become more out of square causing more problems.

After clamping you should see the crack on the top to close some i would expect it to get it purfect but close. then its time to glue the braces on ( that ill make for you) let the acrylic glue dry for a few days then (slowly!!!!!) take the clamps off

This sounds like a big deal but it shouldnt be to bad to do at all IMO let me know what i can do to help im sure we can round up a small crew and get it fixed ..

[email protected]

Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2004 at 9:36am

I am thinking on the side that the crack is already stressed. If you squeeze the long side first you'd be ok. That crack is already spread clear across the tank right? Can we get a full top shot? If you sqeeze the skinny side first where the crack runs down the front, I think it could cause the cracks to spread. Due to the fact that you are pushing into the crack instead of with it? Does that make sence? My q is would it make any real diff to squeeze the tank back together as apposed to the less asthetic just glue a top on the already open cracked section to bridge the gap without disturbing the tank.

I may be interested in the tank if it comes down to it BTW. I have several terrariums

I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2004 at 8:13pm
Renee,

I have access to some long pipe clamps. I think I have four of them that would work.

Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2004 at 8:18pm

OOoooooh!  Very cool! 

Does anyone know where I can get some of the Weld On that I've heard so much about?  From what everyone says, I have to go to some special place in SLC to get it.

Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2004 at 8:25pm
Renee - you can get it from Regional Supply.  I think the address is like 3700 South 300 West.
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2004 at 9:02am
there is also a plastic shop in ogden that im sure sells it try there first..
[email protected]

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2004 at 8:47pm

As I read through this I wondered the same thing Sky brought up.  I'm not an expert by any means so I'll just put this out there and maybe an expert will pop up and say yes or no.

I would be worried that trying to alter the top of the tank to make it square again, (if it ever truly was,) could stress the lower parts of the tank and cause some problems down there where all the water weight is being held. 

If the tank were emptied I say go for the gusto with any idea you've got, but with all that water and life in it I'd be afraid to do anything with a clamp or 4.  But like I said I do not claim to know what I'm talking about.

Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2004 at 5:20am

The bottam of the aquarium is going to be the most square being its one piece where the top is more then half cut out but to be honest there are many diffrent ways you can try to fix it.

[email protected]

Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2004 at 4:23pm

The bottom isn't one piece.  It has two holes drilled, each about 1/3 of the way into the tank.  I have downspouts instead of overflows. 

I'm not having any luck finding WeldOn in Ogden, but have been fairly busy.  Called a few places & then I have to do real work again.     Silly students wanting to get edjumacated & all... 

So the fact that the gap is 1/16th of an inch still means I should square it first? 

Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2004 at 4:38pm
Renee I have a can of weld-on 3 that you can have! just let me know
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2004 at 4:54pm
Eric - - - is that the right stuff ? 
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2004 at 1:14pm
yes that will work :-)
[email protected]

Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2004 at 1:46pm

I have a couple of bar clamps, I haven't read thw whole thread so I don't know if you have this fixed yet, but if you would like to use them let me know.  I know where one is right off the top of my head the other I think is up at my dads house, but at any rate the are 4 foot bar clamps.  Thye would work to help sqaure things up again.  you of course would want to get a couple of nice stright something or others on both the front and the back and tighten the clamps on to that.

I would be careful about putting to much presure on it, you don't want it to bow back the other way ...

Drop me a line if you are in need of the clamps.

"So this is what gives meaning to your life." -Unknown

Daniel in Santaquin
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2004 at 3:26pm

Renee,

Considering some of the other concerns that you have had, and considering what you would like to do with your tank, I would consider getting a new one instead of patching the problem. Not that I am an expert and you know that. But, you've learned ALOT from this tank and there's alot of heartache there. It very well could be worth ending the headaches and go with a system that you will be happier with. Besides, a different tank will give you properly sized overflows, better surface skimming, etc. Just think about it.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2004 at 7:07pm

You should hear how quiet the new pump is, Carl.  I come home from work and it's like "Oh yeah, I have a quiet tank now."   I guess my hesitation is due to the fact that I'm not sure that I'm ready to break my back moving stuff (fish dying because of stress, corals dying because they get smashed, etc...).  Doesn't it seem like Damon ought to have some fun for a change?    

(Damon... if you read this, I did post it with a smile!)   I really have learned a ton of stuff from this tank. 

Edited by Weimers
Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
peregrinus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peregrinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2004 at 8:27pm
renee i have weldon 16 not sure if it would help but your welcome to it.
brian
In Clearfield

Quantum mechanics the dreams stuff is made of.
Weimers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Weimers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2004 at 10:30pm

Oh, yeah... this thread is back.  But it's happy news (so far) !  

Mark is SO awesome.  He picked up acrylic Weld-on from Eric  (THANK YOU ERIC!) and clamps, and brought them here.

Did I say Mark is the coolest, sweetest, and willing to put up with Nervous Nae?  Okay, so he got here, and helped lift the top off, put on new acrylic pieces from Eric the Sweetheart, and then we started chatting about the lack of water flow.  Guess what?  The little screen thingy before the pump was SO clogged that when he knocked of a little chunk, the sea swirls started POUNDING in the water.  Like a scary amount.  The pump nearly cavitated in about 12 seconds!  So that was a balancing act.  Then adjusted the flow to the refugium, (decided that must need cleaning too) and scrubbed that lockline stuff.  All better!  Cleaned the little refugium light & now everything is so purdy.   (Humor me... it's WAY late for me & I need to get up at 04:00)   Then needed to cut two chunks out of the hood.  Mark ripped those out with no problem. 

..... and THEN....  he offered to shovel for me.  Yeah, I'm such a schmuck.  I said okay.  It's 11:17pm, and I think he's still shoveling my walk.  Are guys really this nice?  Is this like a dream, or what? 

Renee and Damon Weimer
Tankless in Hawaii
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2004 at 6:35am

did you give him a tip afterwards

gold star for mark.

Hey renee I guess I'll always have you to be slackin on the maint. of your system to make me look better then?

I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic