Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RBTA really small all of the sudden

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RBTA really small all of the sudden
    Posted: December 18 2010 at 11:54pm
I have an RBTA that's been in my tank for about two months, it's been fed regularly and was growing pretty quickly. It was about as wide as my palm usually, but all of the sudden it's sucked itself into the cavity of the rock where it sits and the hole is only about as big as my thumb. The tentacles are deflated and barely sticking out of the little hole.

Here's a photo: (not great quality, my SLR's battery is dead, this is with a point and shoot)

I did a 10% water change this morning, and the temp did get down to about 78 today. I'm testing parameters now to see if anything's off, and I'll post that in a bit.
But until then, any ideas? Not a big deal? Something I should be worried about?
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2010 at 12:30am
OK, here are my parameters, nothing out of the ordinary.

Temp: 81.1
SG: 1.025
Nitrate: 0
pH: 8.2
Alk: 10 dkh
Cal: 440
Phosphate: 0
Mag: 1200

The only other thing that's going on is that for the last couple days there has been a bunch of diatom growth in the tank.
I want to cut back on feeding, but I wonder if that will upset the anemone more.

What do you all think?
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2010 at 12:45am
I know this isn't going to help much but sometimes anemones just do crazy things that make no sense. For example, they will sometimes move to the back of a rock in the dark and bleach out. Why do they do this... I don't know and I don't think anyone really knows.

My best advice is to continue feeding it, make sure it's not getting too much flow nor too little, and see how it goes. My gut tells me it probably is extending it's foot way down into that hole and using up most of it's tissue in it's foot. Hopefully with all this feeding your giving it and as it settles down, it will grow out a bit more and pear more healthy.

Good luck!

Micah
225 Reef (not really mine but i act like it is)

29 Biocube

My Whole House System Build
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2010 at 12:48am
As long it does not melt the anemone is fine probably pissed off for some reason.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2010 at 1:28am
Mine does this all the time, as long as your params are fine then it should be ok. Do you always keep your tank at 81? I think that is creeping on the higher side of things.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2010 at 8:00am
Chances are, by the time you read this, the anemone is back out and looks fine.

For the benefit of everyone reading this, here is a little info that may be helpful in the future:
A healthy anemone will de-hydrate once in a while, but if it does it all the time it's not liking it's environment. Dehydrating helps it expel waste chemicals that it doesn't want. Continual dehydrating and hydrating is often an indication of irritating chemicals in the water that it brings in when it hydrates then expels when it shrinks and then brings in again. It's a cycle that can lead to an anemone getting smaller over time until it fads away and dies.

Something in the environment may not be right either temporarily or constantly. 

You indicated two parameters that have changed lately.
1 - Feeding, perhaps a little too much feeding in my opinion. The extra algae growth in the tank is what indicates that possibility. Anemones are not genetically accustomed to being fed regularly. I rarely feed mine. In at least three tanks that I know of where the anemones are splitting often and have populated a portion of the tank, the hobbyists do nothing special, no target feeding, nothing.Smile
2- Temperature, first the change in temp, a swing of less than 5 degrees from day to night is recommended  and second, temperature in our tanks is best kept between 70-80 degrees F. To say that the temp has recently gone down to 78 is a red flag.

There are so many more "parameters" that we do not or cannot test for. Yes, we first look at the testable parameters, but beyond that there are many unseen things that can combine with the testable parameters to create a less than ideal environment.

I'm not saying there is a poor environment in this tank, but the recent growth of diatoms, if it really is diatoms, is an indication of a tank that is starting over. Diatomaceous algae is one of the algae that grows in a new tank. It may be that something is still new about this tank or that it is new enough that a recent death has increased the pollution. The death could be an unseen death of a certain type of micro-organism, maybe even an entire population of one variety of bacteria, which can often be more biomass than a large fish.  Shocked

Remember this one key point. Algae growth is the indication of algae food (which to us is pollution, N compounds). When a nuisance algae like diatoms, dinoflagellates, or cyanobacteria appear, testing will indicate zero N compounds. This is because the algae is eating up the overabundance of Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate, preventing detection by test kits. Wacko

I said earlier that the noticable brown algae growth is typical of a new tank. Anemones don't do so well in 'newish' tanks. If you would like to show a pic of the entire system (tank and sump/Refugium), we might be able to see something that you may not have thought of.

Oh and another thing that I mentioned earlier is irritating chemicals in the water. The best way to remove most of these is 2 weeks/month use of AC(Activated Carbon) and the occassional use (2 weeks use, 1 or 2 times/year) of a PO4 (Phosphate) removal media also helps. Skimmers won't remove these chemicals. Algae eats PO4 but won't eat the other chemicals that AC is meant for. Strange as it may seem, sometimes the overuse of some filtration media is the problem because it is removing too much of something beneficial or is leaching something back into the water. Purigen and Chemipure are two media that create problems with overuse.

What other changes have happened in the tank lately? new additions, moving things around, etc.Question

I apologize for the length of this post. I was on a roll Embarrassed  We don't know everything, but we can get to the root of the problem and it can be resolved. Sometimes everything I said above is just a lot of words because sometimes it's as easy as giving the tank time to take care of itself.
Big smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - December 19 2010 at 8:51am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2010 at 10:35am
First off, Mark's right, the anemone is back to normal.

As far as recent changes, the newest one is a small sun coral addition. I imagine the excess nutrients that are leading to the algae growth is due to me target feeding (not very well) the sun coral, and feeding the anemone a bit more than may be needed.

I'll cut back on the anemone feeding and I'm going to be moving the sun coral to a spot where I'll be able to cover it up better with the bottle top when I feed it. That way less will get out and I'll be able to feed a lot less.

As far as temp goes, 82 was the hottest it would ever get at the end of the day when the lights had been on all day. And at night/morning it would go down to 79. The reason it went down to 78 was that I had removed one of my two heaters the night before to heat the water change water. My swing was pretty small, but from what you guys are saying it's a bit too high.
I'll be turning down the heaters a bit today to try to get things a bit lower. What should I be shooting for, maybe 75 to 78 or so?

And about the long post, I love long posts, especially when they're about my tank or are applicable to me and the animals I'm taking care of. All I can say is thanks.

I'll try to post a photo a little later today, right now I need to finish preparing a lesson for church.

smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2010 at 7:32pm
I'm going to be starting a new thread to tackle the algae issue, it can be found here:

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=45586&PID=391085#391085
DanhNgo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanhNgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2010 at 7:48pm
smacky,

Sorry to get this a little late. The skrinking of the RBTA is normal. The majority of mine rose anemones skrink every night and expand with no problem. Let me know if you run into any other issue with RBTA.

200 Gal Reef

25 Gal Nano Reef
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2010 at 12:07am
my anemones do that to and then go right back up in the morning, hey Dan the anemone you sold me is doing great it settled in the same rock as the other ones and the other corals are doing great to
It's not about what you know but about who you know
Merk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2010 at 5:47pm
Nice info about anemones Mark.
Downtown Salt Lake City
801-809-2367
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic