Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIY Turf Scrubber

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY Turf Scrubber
    Posted: December 03 2010 at 11:40pm
If you guys ever wanted to build this here is a Link that pretty helpful. I know Macro Algae does what this does.

Roy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 8:17pm
very cool
90 gal Corner with / 200 gal sump.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2011 at 9:17pm
After seeing many of these ATS in use, I have come to the conclusion that it's so much simpler to do a shallow refugium with bright light on an 18 hour photoperiod and Macroalgae harvested frequently.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 9:43am
I bet you would get some serious gas exchange with one of those.
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2011 at 6:05pm
I read that post and noticed in his parameters the temp went down a bit after start up. So not only gas exchange but temp exchange as well. Like using a fountain in a pond.
40 gal w/ 20 sump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 1:17pm

Well just for fun I decided to build one.  I had most everything but the screen which cost about $0.60.  And it took me about 30 min to put it all together.

I have had it running for about 5 days, and you can see the algae starting to grow now.  I have a 2700 K on one side, and a daylight on the other.  

The only thing I have noticed is that my pH is 8.2 now, where it used to be 7.9-8.0.  I even tested the second day after running it and it was still 7.9-8.0.  But this morning when I checked it was 8.2-8.3 with an alkalinity of 9, and my calcium is 440.  That is the highest I have seen the pH.

Edited by Davidwillis - February 21 2011 at 1:17pm
Reefboy4life View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefboy4life Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 1:37pm
Were did you get the screen?
90 gallon mixed reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2011 at 1:47pm
hobby lobby.  It is in the knitting section.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic