Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blue Mushroom Issues?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue Mushroom Issues?
    Posted: September 01 2010 at 1:42am
I've got a fairly new Blue Mushroom (actinodiscus sp. I think) that over the last few days, seemed to be recovering from the stress of moving to my tank. It was starting to open up, It's been here for about 4 days. Tonight after lights out, I took a look at it and there was some stringy white/brown stuff coming out of the center. Whatever it was, the my peppermint shrimp was really interested in it. Later the mushroom didn't shrink, but it sort of closed around itself like a bell.

Last time I checked my parameters a few days ago, everything was fine, ie. no ammonia nitrite or nitrate, pH was 8, alkalinity was 11, calcium was a bit high at 550 or so. I'll test the water tomorrow if this is a negative stress reaction. The only thing that changed was that I added a few more snails and a couple hermit crabs last night, and this afternoon I dislodged a little bit of diatom algae that was on a bit of the sand and rock.

Should I be worried? Is this normal?
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 2:09am
Sounds like it was purging (aka pooping) all is well.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 2:51am
Sounds normal to me me as well. I have dozens of them in my tank and when they get stressed they pout for a few day before they start looking good again.
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2010 at 8:07am
Looks like it was nothing. It isn't quite back to the same shape and size as before, but the stringy stuff is gone and it looks fine. The purging would explain the shrimp's interest in the whole process as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic