Utah Reefs Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Appropriate nitrate levels for different corals.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Appropriate nitrate levels for different corals.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Appropriate nitrate levels for different corals.
    Posted: June 23 2010 at 10:35pm
I know some are not bothered by them as much as others, softies, most of the lps. But what is the highest level tolerated by sps like montis, acros, birdnests, millie's. And do hydnophora do better with very low nitrates? My tank has never tested below 20, and sometimes as high as 50, I am guessing this is the reason why not all of my pieces are thriving.
Some day, when I grow up,...

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 10:40pm
I think you may be correct. SPS in general are less tolerant of nO3 than more hardy corals.

What are you doing in terms of trying to bring the nitrate levels down?

Things that could help reduce nO3 include:

- Adding a protein skimmer (if you don't have one) or getting a bigger / better one (if you do)

- Adding a refugium (again if you don't have one)

- Adding more Live Rock into your system

- More frequent partial water changes

- reducing feeding amounts / frequency

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 10:44pm
My skimmer is working great, I do have a fuge with live rock rubble and caulerpa on a reverse lighting schedule. I started running a filter sock about 4 months ago, sock used to clog in three days, now it takes about 5-6. I feed a pinch of pellets sometimes once a day, sometimes less. Every few days I break off a piece of Curtis' frozen concoction. I probably have about 50 gal in my system, and typically do a couple of 5 gal changes per month. I am debating adding a rdsb to see if that remedies the nitrates. There is about 50 lbs of live rock, and 6 small fish(under 3") in the system.

Edited by fishoutawater - June 23 2010 at 10:45pm

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 10:46pm
A rdsb is a good idea.

Sounds like everything else is about where it should be.

What kind of skimmer do you have?

How many lbs of LR in your display?

Shayne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 10:51pm
What is a rdsb?
21G Reefer Nano
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 10:55pm
Remote Deep Sand Bed

most common way is using a 5g bucket filled with sand and plumbed to the sump.

Edited by BobC63 - June 23 2010 at 10:56pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 10:57pm
skimmer is one of a kind, it is outperforming my old tricked out ASM G1x
About 50 lbs of live rock.
Here are some other pics to give you a better idea.

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 11:14pm

Looks good to me!

I only saw 1 fish in your pictures.

How many fish do you have in there?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 11:17pm
I can see 3, but I know where to look. There are 6 total.
two spot hogfish
2 gsm clowns
yellow watchman/pistol shrimp
blue eyed tang
target mandarin

BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 11:31pm
Hmmm...

I would say try out the rdsb; and if you don't see enough of an improvement, then try changing out 10g of water at a time instead of the 5g you do now...

Other than that I can't think of anything else.

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 12:00am
Here is a website that help me understand alot about what are tolerable nitrates and whatnot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 12:18am
Thanks for the link, I may have to look more into the coil denitrator, space is at a premium, I might have issues with my Sweetie if I add any more "clutter" to the office.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 9:15am
There are several things that can be done without having to add more "stuff".

The tank looks very nice. I see lot's of good growth, fuzzy, well hydrated LPS and what is that yellow? Yellow Polyps? Larger growth of things like Yellow Polyps and GSP actually inhibit other coral growth.
Are you using AC?
I would do an easy experiment to try and isolate the cause of the Nitrates. I would stop feeding for 4-5 days and then check Nitrates. If the levels have not gone below 20 then I'd next leave the Regugium lights on 24 hrs/day and see what effect that has.
How rapid and how thick is the growth of algae in the Refugium? It should double about every 4-6 weeks requiring regular harvesting.

Is the sand bed relatively undisturbed? It looks a little too white in the pic. What I mean is that there are so many things that live in the sand that process waste.

Okay, one last question.Embarrassed I know I ask a lot of questions. Is there a DSB in the Refugium? LR rubble is less useful than a DSB for filtration.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 10:04am
I think the above recommendation are pretty good.

-I am not sure if you mentioned the sand depth in you refugium.  I would just add more sand.  The smaller the grain size the less you will need.
-Do large water changes until your nitrates are below 20
-DIY foods like "Curtis' frozen concoction" are great, but the problem is that it will add a lot of nutrients to the water that will not be consumed easily.  Get a strainer or some cheese cloth and rinse the food before adding it to your aquarium.
-up your skimming if possible
-run carbon

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 10:14am
I didn't read above so it may have been said...

Strive for zero, but I have seen many beautiful systems at fifty ppm.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 11:37am
I usually blow out the perimeter of the sand with a turkey baster every few days, sand bed depth in the display is around 4", it is very fine, probably one grade up from oolitic. No sand in the sump, just live rock rubble and caulerpa. I do run carbon in the return chamber of the sump. The gsp shows no visible growth since I have had the tank, I think I'm the only person in the valley that can't grow gsp!

Matthew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 4:11pm
edited for an addition once I read the article linked http://joejaworski.wordpress.com/2007/11/12/nitrates/

From the article:
"Fish that consume the food stop the decomposition to ammonia and break the cycle. In other words, fish excrement does not contain any nitrates. Fish will eliminate the nitrates for you, as long as everything you put in the tank gets eaten"

Not True! Utilization of protein (amino acids) = ammonia.  Ammonia is excreted by fish. Hence freshwater fish tanks are cycled by a fish that you don't feed.

And now totally off the nitrate topic. :)

Hydnophora looks like an SPS but will do better if treated as LPS.

Matthew

Edited by Matthew - June 25 2010 at 4:21pm
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 4:31pm
What are you talking mattew? im kinda confused on what are you're trying to explain
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 4:35pm
I have no clue!!! either
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
jmorrell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmorrell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2010 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by fishoutawater fishoutawater wrote:

I usually blow out the perimeter of the sand with a turkey baster every few days, sand bed depth in the display is around 4", it is very fine, probably one grade up from oolitic. No sand in the sump, just live rock rubble and caulerpa. I do run carbon in the return chamber of the sump. The gsp shows no visible growth since I have had the tank, I think I'm the only person in the valley that can't grow gsp!
haha you and me both, I cant grow gsp at all anymore.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic