Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

125 to 210 Build (Updated w/pics)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 125 to 210 Build (Updated w/pics)
    Posted: June 19 2010 at 5:15pm
After watching a few others recording their builds and getting questions answered along the way, I figured it was probably a good idea for me to do the same. I cant remember all of the questions i have thought of along the way, but ill post more as they come to me. I tried to draw a rough idea of what my tank will be kind of be like, so i can figure some things out with flow. I have 3 koralia 3's, and im trying to figure out the best way to put them in the tank. i think i really would like to keep them in-between the two overflows. I was also thinking about pointing my returns down to keep detritus from building up behind my rocks. Also, not sure on that one..?

Edited by P.Kapp - July 31 2013 at 6:12pm
Preston Kapp

210 Gal Reef
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2010 at 5:37pm
here is a picture of my stand almost done.  just need to finish the doors and buy some new hardware to put them on.

Here is my new sunpower 80w ATI. The arm that holds it is in the works now...

This is my 100 gal RO storage tank. Just built the stand for it and put the drain on it. Built the stand so i can put a bucket or water just under it. still need to cut some particle board and put it on top of the stand before im totally done. Thats why it only has about 20 gals in it right now.

And this is my reef octo skimmer that Skyler hooked me up with. Im pretty excited to see it running

Since im already loading pictures, i figured i might as well put a pic up of my new bikeWink Its a mini build for me on the side... ha ha

tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2010 at 7:57pm
Did you get that bike from Chappy? looks goodThumbs Up
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2010 at 1:14am
man thats going to be a sweet tank... do you have a few more pics of your stand build?
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2010 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by tcfab tcfab wrote:

Did you get that bike from Chappy? looks goodThumbs Up

I picked it up from a guy in Riverton, but it was mostly built here in Roy by K&T Performance. It was just a hillshooter when i picked it up, but have been changing some stuff around so i can dune it too. Thanks for the compliment!
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2010 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Nick801 Nick801 wrote:

man thats going to be a sweet tank... do you have a few more pics of your stand build?

Thanks Nick! I didnt actually build the stand. I just repaired a few things, and repainted it. I wish i was good enough to actually build something this big. I was going to take some before and after pictures, but just never got around to it. now i wish i did. oh well
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2010 at 9:18pm
Your light is going to look really sweet, I am excited to start on it for youTongue
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 20 2010 at 10:09pm
You will want to point your returns up for a couple reasons, one is too increase the surface agitation for goos gas exchange, the other is when you have a power outage you will siphon water our of your tank down to the level of your return nozzle. So by raising your returns you cut the rick of flooding your sump way down. The majority of the circulation should be done by powerheads or a closed loop rather than by your return pump.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 11:05am
Originally posted by tcfab tcfab wrote:

Your light is going to look really sweet, I am excited to start on it for youTongue
Im pretty excited too! Thanks again
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 11:07am
Originally posted by CapnMorgan CapnMorgan wrote:

You will want to point your returns up for a couple reasons, one is too increase the surface agitation for goos gas exchange, the other is when you have a power outage you will siphon water our of your tank down to the level of your return nozzle. So by raising your returns you cut the rick of flooding your sump way down. The majority of the circulation should be done by powerheads or a closed loop rather than by your return pump.
Thanks Capn. Do you think the three koralias will do a good enough job positioned where they are in the drawing?
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 11:09am
Also, I was thinking about my return pump. I was originally going to try to use a big waterfall pump for my return, but it was way too loud. So now i have a Rio 32HF that im planning on using. Is that going to be enough? I also have a Rio 2500, and a Rio 1700 sitting around that i could use if two pumps would be better?
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 1:50pm
I would say the 32HF will be fine for your return. I would think that 3 koralia's would be plenty. I would put one on each end and one in the middle on the back. You could create a lot of beneficial turbulence that way. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 1:53pm
I run 4. 1 on each end and 2 in the middle. I have a ton of flow.

Edited by bugzme - June 21 2010 at 1:53pm
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2010 at 3:26pm
Cool. Im going to run my drain(s) directly to my skimmer. I was thinking about running one drain to the skimmer and one into a filter sock if i could get away with it..? or would i have to run both to the skimmer to keep enough water in it for the two recirc pumps? Could i run two return pumps and be able to do the skimmer and the filter sock?
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 4:23pm
Does anyone else run their drains directly to their skimmer? Any advice on my plans?
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 4:31pm
My drains tie together then run to the filter sock which is in the same compartment as my skimmer
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 5:17pm
I agree with what Steve said about the return nozzles pointing up.

Circulation is more effective if the powerheads are positioned near the bottom and point up so the streams make the surface water roil. (that's actually a word!)
The resulting turbulance is useful for a number of reasons; gas exchange, coral feeding and coral waste transport. The strong turbulent water movement throughout the tank keeps detritus in suspension so it can go into the filter sock. This is only accomplished when the rock structure is very open and mostly off the sand.

I'm curious why you have a reservoir to hold 100 gals of RO water?

Pushing 1000 gph over the top would be sufficient and 2 nozzles would be good. Splitting that into 4 nozzles would reduce the force of the water stream coming out of each nozzle and would not be able to add to the desired turbulance.

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 22 2010 at 5:29pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 5:45pm
Thanks mark. the RO storage is just for convenience. i hate waiting for my filter to drip out 5 to 15 gals of water when i need it. this way i have it on hand for top offs and for water changes without having to wait for it to fill up my water jugs. and its nice to have just in case i need a large amount of RO water in case of an emergency
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by bugzme bugzme wrote:

My drains tie together then run to the filter sock which is in the same compartment as my skimmer
This may be what i end up having to do, but right now im trying to eliminate using another pump for the skimmer if i can. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 5:53pm
I hope you never need 100 gals all at once.Wink

I was just thinking to add... the way I suggested water flow works so well that it requires less powerheads or less strong ones. I'm thinking that depending on the aquascaping, two Koralia 4's would give you plenty of flow with those return pumps for this 125 gal which is a longer tank.

Have you considered the benefits of a suspended reef?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic