Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

125 to 210 Build (Updated w/pics)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 6:11pm
I hope i dont either! But its nice to not have to fill it for a while. I figure since i already have the three kor 3's ill probably just use them. I have put a lot of thought into my aquascape. I have copied and emailed myself a couple of pages of pictures of other peoples tanks that i like so i can try to emulate parts of their scaping. i have read about your tripod effect as well mark. i am going to try and keep as much rock off the sand as i can. I really like the look of a lot of sand, but i also like lots of rock for hiding space for the fish. so im trying to find a happy medium for my scape
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2010 at 10:10pm
come take a look at my rock work I think you might like it
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 9:13am
The placement of the powerheads to the lower areas of the tank with streams pointing diagonally upwards is not so difficult when it's done as part of the aquascaping. The rocks can be made to hide the powerheads from the front view. Creating small rock hills that the pumps hide behind actually gives a nice natural looking effect, so much more pleasing to the eye than the rock wall in so many reef aquariums. I'd suggest going to see Adam Blundell's tank to see what I'm talking about. I would love to see pics of Kody's tank too.

Creating hiding space for the fish is an interesting topic. Hiding is mostly a response to predators and since there are usually no predators in our reef tanks, the response is not as strong in our fish.

Most reef fish will find a place in the rocks to bed down for the night but... What I have found is that if fish are hiding during the daytime, it indicates some kind of stress. Sure they may run for cover if they aren't used to people walking past the tank, but if they stay hidden for longer than 30 seconds then it's time to look at water parameters, in tank food sources and tank layout in general.

For example look at the openness of this aquascaping. The entire rock structure looked like this and it was visible from both sides. The light spots you see are the sunlight from outside the window. The fish in this tank never went hiding during the day. The Blue Tang slept in a tight place between two rocks. The Yellow Tang and Rabbitfish slept under the rock ceilings above the sand. The three Blue Damsels each had their homes. They slept in holes in the rock and inside large shells. The Cardinals slept in mid to top water during the day and roamed and hunted all over the tank at night.

In the 120 where I had the suspended reef the larger fish again slept between the sand and the reef. The smaller fish found holes in and between the rocks.
Hope this helps.Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 23 2010 at 9:21am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 10:06am
http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=41562 here you go mark and preston

Edited by kody72 - June 23 2010 at 10:06am
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 10:41am
Thanks mark, and kody. i dont mean i want hiding places cause my fish seem stressed. my fish never hide either. I just like the look of caves and arches and stuff like that for the fish to swim around in. I loved the way my sixline wrasse would just cruise around the entire tank, in and out, all day when i had it. Im not a big fan of a rock wall either. I have a good idea of what i want my tank to look like. your picture above has similar attributes to what i like as well, mark. I agree about trying to hide the powerheads too. Thanks for helping!Smile Anyone have any advice about my skimmer, and the drains running to it?
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 10:43am
Kody, do those nozzles on your returns make a very big difference?
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 10:54am
I think so they also pull water from behind them
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 12:34pm
I was also wondering, do i really need all this extra pipe on the outlet of the skimmer? Or could i just leave the 10in pipe going vertical and put some sponge around it like the ASM's?
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2010 at 7:09pm
No you don't need that horizontal pipe.
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2010 at 12:15pm
Thanks Tyler.
 When i bought my setup it came with this reactor. Right now i have some carbon in it, but im not sure what else to put in it? I dont know what GFO means... Is this worth setting up, and whats the best stuff to run through it?

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 8:18am
Granulated Ferrous Oxide
It's for removing PO4 (Phosphate) The less expensive stuff that still does a good job is called Hydrated Alumina. It has a white color and turns tan when used up which makes it easy to see that it was needed. I usually only run PO4 remover once or twice in a year for only a month. Phosphate is needed by all algae and coral so stripping it all out of the water can actually stunt coral growth. I've seen a couple tanks where it actually caused coral deaths because it was used 24/7 for a year.

About the skimmer and drains running to it, there is really no specialized method. The skimmer just needs a supply of water  and bubbles don't matter since bubbles is what the skimmer works on. The skimmer does not need to skim 100% of the water. Better to leave some good food for the reef.
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 9:37am

Thanks mark! Do you think there is something else i could run in that section besides the gfo that would be good for the tank?

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2010 at 5:20pm
If you use a simple bridal veil bag near a pump intake to run AC and Phosphate remover you could turn that unit into an RO unit. I'm assuming that is the bracket and filtration canisters for an RO unit. All it needs is a Membrane. I know you already have your RO unit so feel free to trade that bracket to me. I have some Membranes that need homes.Wink 

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 26 2010 at 5:29pm
kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 10:26am

any updates

KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 10:26am
Ill Probably just use it for carbon still. I already have the pump for it and everything, and I read that these reactors do a little better job. 
P.Kapp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote P.Kapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 10:42am
Originally posted by P.Kapp P.Kapp wrote:

Does anyone else run their drains directly to their skimmer? Any advice on my plans?
Bump for this question. These are the kind of drains i will be using. Obviously there will be two of them. Im just trying to figure out if there will be enough water draining through them with my pump, Rio 32HF, and these kind of drains (Durso?), to keep enough water in my skimmer?

kody72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kody72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 10:46am
that will be plenty the slower the flow in the skimmer the more gunk it pulls. im running 2 of those on my 95
KODY72 FISHROOM BUILD
281g DT
187g Rimless Frag
ATI PM lighting
SRO DSCR-300ext
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by P.Kapp P.Kapp wrote:

Ill Probably just use it for carbon still. I already have the pump for it and everything, and I read that these reactors do a little better job. 

Could what you read be from someone that is trying to sell them or to justify their purchase?
Well, I can tell you from experience that they are slower. The water runs through them slowly. They can make a little bit of water a lot cleaner. On the other hand the water running past a loose bag of AC that is draped over a pump inlet cleans the entire tank of water much faster. It's simply the physics of it. Then there is the extra trouble of the additional pump and the hoses. The largest and best marine aquarium maintenance company in Utah, with whom I used to work, does it with a bag of AC in the sump next to the return pump intake.

That said, I don't fault you for keeping and using the unit. I just have a difficult time allowing what in my opinion is false information go unchallenged.

Edited by Mark Peterson - June 28 2010 at 8:15pm
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 8:22pm
Sorry Mark but I disagree! If you have a container holding AC with a pump pushing water the results will be alot better than throwing a nylon filled with it in the sump. Just MHO.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2010 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by bugzme bugzme wrote:

Sorry Mark but I disagree! If you have a container holding AC with a pump pushing water the results will be alot better than throwing a nylon filled with it in the sump. Just MHO.

I would agree if you just have it anywhere in the sump. However Mark is talking about it being draped over or right next to the return pump - arguably the biggest pump in an aquarium and the one that see's 100% of the water go through it - vs. a smaller pump through a reactor that may only see 10%-20% of the water go through it.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic